Big Milestone - DD Made Kip Tonight at Practice

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

LizzieLac

Proud Parent
For anyone who has seen my posts, DD has been struggling with her kip since we decided to go JO instead of Prep Opt last June. It was a big decision to quit swim team and become a "full-time gymnast" as she calls it. Well, she was supposed to go into level 5 at the end of the summer, but the kip wasn't there.

DD has been doing extra conditioning at home and going to gym 1.5 hours on Saturday just to work on kip by herself (coaches have been supportive, but can't coach her on Saturday since it wasn't her scheduled workout). So, it has been 3-4 weeks of the extra conditioning and Saturdays working only on kip.

Tonight at regular practice she got it - 3x!!! Sure, some misses, but every time she is sooooo close. And her form is looking so much tighter. DD won't say she "got her kip" - only that she did it, because she says you don't have it until you do it consistently every time.

But we are thrilled and hope that with more practice the consistency will be there. She feels like the hard work has paid off and moving to level 5 mid-season is going to happen.

Just wanted to share the good news!

ahhhhhh...big sigh of relief! The kip is huge! Congrats to her!!!!!!!:D

I remember seeing a look of peace and contentment come over my daughter's face when she got hers...she loves bars so not having that kip was so hard for her!

She'll be saying she "has" it in no time!

Wonderful! When she is sure she's done with those kip fairies, will you ask her to please point them in the direction of central pa, because I know of a certain little girl who would dearly love their help...

Yay for Lizzie Jr!!!!! We aren't in kip territory yet but I've garnered enough from the board so far to realize that this is HUGE!!!!

That is a BIG milestone! Congrats!!
I think this is the skill that Pixie was most proud of...I think she thought of herself as a "Big Girl Gymnast" having accomplished it.

WTG!!!

Congratulations to your DD! My DD was moved to 5 last year prior to summer training and she didn't have the dreaded kip either. I didn't think it was possible she was so young. Determination works wonders because she got it before her teammates started to compete. She too was so proud! Keep up the great work!!

Woohoo! That is awesome! Congrats to your dd! I know she has been dying to get it so this is such great news. I hope she will be able to move to Level 5 to compete soon.

Thanks, everyone!! It was really so cute. I came about 15-20 minutes before pratice was over and was watching them work on the choreography for the floor routine while talking to another mom. Practice ends and DD comes out with a little smile, then says "I did a kip tonight!"

She then asks me if I can ask coach if she can show me. I told her she should ask and of course coach said yes. So I walked out into the gym which was pretty quiet becuase only level 4 and PO practice on Wednesday (and a rec class was about to start). So DD tries it but doesn't quite make it (was so close). She ends up trying several, all while the PO team is shouting for her (they were her teamates last year, so it was bittersweet) and coach is telling her if she has to get it on the next one or she's "fired!" She proabably tried about 10 and completed another 2. When she got one everyone was cheering...

...and that is when I thought this is what gymnastics is all about!!:D:D

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back