Anon Kip encouragement

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

A

Anonymous (3929)

My daughter moved to her current gym last June and to progress to the next level (NGA level 4) she had to have her kip by the end of the summer. She had never attempted a kip, so really she had 6 weeks to learn one. It was obvious by the end of the summer that it wasn't going to happen. They moved her into the level 3 group and she did really well. This summer they started working kip drills. She got her first ever kip once at a camp in June, another kip mid August during practice, and 2 weeks ago she did 6 during practice. She hasn’t been able to do another since then. I’ve heard this can happen, so hoping others can chime in and offer stories that it does get better!

My daughter moved to her current gym last June and to progress to the next level (NGA level 4) she had to have her kip by the end of the summer. She had never attempted a kip, so really she had 6 weeks to learn one. It was obvious by the end of the summer that it wasn't going to happen. They moved her into the level 3 group and she did really well. This summer they started working kip drills. She got her first ever kip once at a camp in June, another kip mid August during practice, and 2 weeks ago she did 6 during practice. She hasn’t been able to do another since then. I’ve heard this can happen, so hoping others can chime in and offer stories that it does get better!
My daughter was moving to level 3 this year so it's not a requirement at this point. She got her first kip early June. Then it would be like one week she had it several a practice even on the high bar, the next week she didn't. Then end of summer she took a week off, hasn't been able to do one by herself since. Her training group isn't working on them since it seems the coaches are focusing on the others who can't do their front hip circles. She might get to practice with a spot only 2 reps at a practice. And that's few and far between. I think until her whole group really starts working them she just won't get it back.

I can only tell you to breathe mama! My kiddo completed level four last year as an eight year old, and did not get her kit until two weeks before the first competition. And even then, it was a muscle up. Fast forward to a year and a half later, and she is still struggling with it. She is more than strong enough, it’s timing. Every kiddo progresses at their own pace, so we just have to stay out of their way and let the coaches do their jobs. She’ll get it. My daughter is Jim has decided to have her repeat level four to help her gain confidence and perfect the infamous Kip

Totally normal for the kip to come and go when first learning it, at least she knows she can do it, it will get more consistent, don't worry.

Patience, patience, patience. For both you and her, and in completely different ways!

For you: it's typical for athletes to be inconsistent with a new skill for awhile. It's frustrating as a parent, but it's best if they are blissfully unaware of your frustration; if they know you're frustrated, it puts too much pressure on them, and makes practice a chore rather than a treat.

For her: this is almost always caused by rushing the kip. A kip has to wait until the glide finishes; let the glide stall out at the top, and initiate the kip on the way back.

Totally normal! My younger daughter got her kip swinging on a bar at the park (with her big sis "coaching" her). It was weeks before she was doing them in the gym from a glide swing, and they were on and off for a while before it clicked. She will get it!

I agree with others, it's common for skills to come and go a bit when they're new, and especially the kip. (For me when I lose my kip completely it's a sign I'm not eating enough, but that's probably just me because I have energy problems. You need much energy to kip, but most gymnasts have plenty of energy. ) I agree with Taucer that a lost kip is often because of initiating a kip too early and not finishing the glide swing, but there can be other causes and I'm sure the coaches will figure it out with her.

Well, about 2 1/2 weeks ago she started getting her kip more consistently. She would get 60-75% of her tries at every practice all week and they were looking stronger and stronger. Fast forward to this week and she’s only been able to get 1! I’ve never seen her progress/regress on a skill like this. Of course she comes home upset, but I smile, give her a high-five and tell her she’s got it and it’ll come back (hopefully it’s true)

Sounds like she's overall progressing. I think if she's putting too much pressure on it that can cause her to make mistakes (wanting to go too fast because she really wants to do the kip). But learning kips goes in general with ups and downs: When I look at your posts it seems she went from having it only once a month to Several times most trainings. So long as she's eating well, drinking well, resting well and listening to her coaches she should be fine. In fact it sounds like she's really improving overall, which is really good.

PS. Many present day elites say their kip was the hardest skill to get for them.

Sounds like she's overall progressing. I think if she's putting too much pressure on it that can cause her to make mistakes (wanting to go too fast because she really wants to do the kip). But learning kips goes in general with ups and downs: When I look at your posts it seems she went from having it only once a month to Several times most trainings. So long as she's eating well, drinking well, resting well and listening to her coaches she should be fine. In fact it sounds like she's really improving overall, which is really good.

PS. Many present day elites say their kip was the hardest skill to get for them.
Yes, overall she is improving. It’s just the minor setbacks. I wasn’t a gymnast so all of this is new to me! Thanks for the reply!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back