Coaches Board Question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My Xcel kids use an air-board, I wish they didn't, but they do. I always bring it with me to meets just in case there is not one provided. We attended a meet this weekend, I placed the board next to the vault where we would be competing and went to our first event. When we got to vault (our 2nd event), another team had taken our board and moved it to the other competition vault. The meet director was walking by at the time and I asked her what to do, she immediately went and got our board and placed another air board (of a different style) at the other vault area. At the end of our vault rotation, the judges summoned me over to tell me that once competition has started, boards cannot be moved from one set of equipment to another. I was dumbfounded because I had not moved the board, I placed it exactly where I wanted it and another team had taken it. They said they were just preparing me for the state meet, to which I replied that I supposed there would be more boards available at the state meet so it would be less of an issue. They responded that would not be the case, that the state would not provide any air boards at the state meet. It would be my responsibility to bring it and that I could just watch it until we got to vault to make sure it didn't get moved.
The real kicker for me is that there was only 1 other air board there, had I not brought our board, one of the competition vaults would not have had an air board at all- so would those gymnasts have been forced to compete on a springboard because the air board started the meet at the other set of equipment? I'm just totally baffled.
So now I'm wondering, do I need to put big stickers on our vault at the start of each session with our gym name and "do not move from Vault A" or "do not move from Vault B" based on what flight my kids are in? I feel like that's not particularly great sportsmanship, and really I don't mind if other gyms use our board, but it is a problem if I dragged the board all way there only to not have my kids allowed to use it.
Has anyone else encountered this issue?

Could you have one of your parents watch the board until your rotation? Even pay a sibling to sit next to it? That seems petty, but you need it when you need it. I would defiantly put a label on it saying " Property of Xxxxxx gym" .

Could you have one of your parents watch the board until your rotation? Even pay a sibling to sit next to it? That seems petty, but you need it when you need it. I would defiantly put a label on it saying " Property of Xxxxxx gym" .
It's on the meet floor, so I would have to have another coach who's allowed to be on the floor come out and watch it. I don't think HC would pay for an extra coach for that purpose alone!

I thought there was a rule saying you could bring your own board but only if everyone was allowed to use it.

Sounds like the judge was being pendantic.

I thought there was a rule saying you could bring your own board but only if everyone was allowed to use it.

Sounds like the judge was being pendantic.

This. I am pretty sure that all equipment must be available to all teams within the session.

I can't imagine a gym hosting an Xcel (or level 2) meet without an airboard. Or two, if there are two sets of equipment.

When you bring the board to the meet, set it where it's in full view of the judges. As soon as the judges are at that event(should be before warm up begins on first event), go speak them and tell them you brought the board with you and want to make sure it stays at that vault the entire competition(as it should). It will then become the judges responsibility to make sure it isn't moved. The judges at your last meet likely didn't notice when the board you brought was moved the first time. You are correct that this shouldn't have been allowed. Boards cannot be moved between events once the competition has begun.

Sorry to bring this thread up again, but I'm at our state meet and was called out in the coach's meeting for bringing our own board. Was told it must stay at that specific vault for the entirety of the meet- I cannot even move it between sessions. So if my kids in the next session are in the other flight, I can't move the board over there. Even in between sessions. I get the not moving it in-session, but this is not at all how I read the rule in the R&P. Any input? I have a kid with some major vault anxiety (working on it, and it's improved a ton but still an issue) who will be a nervous wreck if she's in the other flight. I felt like I was being reprimanded for bringing our own board. But I was also told by the one man back in February that the state only has 1 trampboard, so I wanted to bring it just in case.

There was also an issue with matting on vault. One kid had to vault up onto mats 12" above the vault because they didn't have a 4". Even the judges felt bad when the poor kid got up to vault and they saw what the setting looked like.

Sorry to bring this thread up again, but I'm at our state meet and was called out in the coach's meeting for bringing our own board. Was told it must stay at that specific vault for the entirety of the meet- I cannot even move it between sessions. So if my kids in the next session are in the other flight, I can't move the board over there. Even in between sessions. I get the not moving it in-session, but this is not at all how I read the rule in the R&P. Any input? I have a kid with some major vault anxiety (working on it, and it's improved a ton but still an issue) who will be a nervous wreck if she's in the other flight. I felt like I was being reprimanded for bringing our own board. But I was also told by the one man back in February that the state only has 1 trampboard, so I wanted to bring it just in case.

There was also an issue with matting on vault. One kid had to vault up onto mats 12" above the vault because they didn't have a 4". Even the judges felt bad when the poor kid got up to vault and they saw what the setting looked like.
If you know the flight in advance and it is the other one, then I say ask a vault judge at the end of the session. See what the judge says.

So weird. I've never heard about that but I don't coach Xcel so I guess we don't have an option. Still I brought a board to one meet for the smaller 3s after the boards were really hard in the level 4 session (they had just taken them out of the box) and the judges let us move it around (i.e. Other teams with small kids used it). Also at another meet the same thing happened and they let people use carpet springboards from the bar mount.

But yeah I'm guessing someone complained specifically about the Xcel boards or something? I'm not sure what the spirit behind the rule is, except to avoid slowdowns in the continuous format? someone did tell me it needs to remain until the end of the meet - so I guess that's what they're saying about the sessions - but I'm not sure why that would be.

Thanks for the feedback. At the Bronze meet a few weeks ago I moved it between sessions with no problem based on what flight my kids were in. In one session a gym moved it to the other flight mid-session and my kid had to use another board, fortunately she was a good sport about it. But I have no idea why it can't be moved in the gaps between sessions.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back