Parents Bone Cracking

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Swiftli

Proud Parent
My DD (12yr L8) has this lovely habit of cracking her bones....just about all of them and just about all the time...toes, fingers, back, neck....I am thinking it is a nervous habit...

I am trying to just let it ride it's course but has anyone heard of any long term issues with misaligning themselves and tumbling? My main concern is her back. When she pops it, it is SO loud...kinda scary.

Maybe a trip to sport chiropractor will help? I bet it feels good on body to loosen some joins. And I net that's what she is going for by doing it.

Apparently, the noise you hear bone cracking generally isn't actually the bones, it's pockets of fluid around the joint that are popping which is the sound you hear.
I've always done it (I'm hypermobile so often it's out of my control!), but my Dr says as long as you don't do it constantly, it's not so bad.

As long as their is no pain, it's no biggie.

If you were actually cracking your bones, that would be very bad.

Apparently, the noise you hear bone cracking generally isn't actually the bones, it's pockets of fluid around the joint that are popping which is the sound you hear.
I've always done it (I'm hypermobile so often it's out of my control!), but my Dr says as long as you don't do it constantly, it's not so bad.

My dd is hypermobile too. No damage from the cracking, just sounds terrible.

Just about everything on my DD cracks too. Nobody else in the family does it, which makes me wonder if it's a gymnast thing.

My gymmie doesn't do this but my dancer does. Her physical therapist says as long as there's no pain, it's ok. I'm still not convinced, but I'm going with it.
And yes, it's not actually the bones. It's little pockets of stuff and in my daughters case, also ligaments. Her hips sound like a meat grinder at times.... Her ballet teacher says sometimes all the girls are so bad at the same time, the studio sounds like a popcorn factory, lol!

Yep, mine does it too! It's really loud and sounds like it hurts! I don't think there is a joint in her body that she hasn't cracked at some point. Her back sounds the worst!! She just twists herself sideways and pop pop pop pop pop.....Sometimes I think she does it just to creep me out!

My son (L5) however, can't crack anything to save his life! He is also a gymnast but is not nearly as flexible as his sister.

Probably fine. Just make sure she's not grabbing her head with two hands and twisting it - that is not safe. If she is just stretching or doing it because it feels good, probably not a problem, but if she is doing it because she's having pain and is trying to relieve the pain, then get it checked out by a professional, ie, chiropractic physician, osteopath, physical therapist, etc.

My DD isn't quite old enough to pop her back by herself but is constantly asking her daddy to do it for her. She pops her fingers all the time.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back