Parents Boys in cheer

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

heatherncastro

Proud Parent
Hi all :)

Well , some of you know that we recently changed gyms because our gymnastics gym cancelled the boys class . The new gym is a cheer gym & my son has been taking tumbling there. Well , he's the only boy so far in class but he really loves going . The coaches are fabulous and I think we are Just going to keep him there. The coach is a guy and was also a cheerleader . What do y'all think about boys being cheerleaders? I'm fine with it but when I was taking my son to class I heard a couple of dads saying it was " for girls " .. I'm taking my son it a Cheer/tumbling clinic tonight .. Just to see if he has fun..

Sent from my iPhone using ChalkBucket

I married one so I'm all for it ;)

My DH didn't become a cheerleader until he was in university though. When you are a big guy and can toss/catch/hold girls overhead with one hand...there are not too many negative comments. We coached the university team together and had more boys than girls on the team (full co-ed team, 2:1 ratio of boys to girls). Our guys were huge and while they got some negative comments, most didn't care.

For younger boys, it can be more difficult. It is totally wrong that people say negative things but it WILL happen. If he's going to do this, you need to teach him to ignore any comments and just do his own thing. His chances of getting a college scholarship as a male cheerleader are greater than as a male gymnast ;)

ETA: my DH came to cheerleading tryouts because he wanted to learn how to do a BT.

PM me if you have more questions :)

Cheer boys are awesome! Does your son want to go into cheer and do stunting etc. or is he more into the tumbling aspect? If he's more into tumbling you might want to give T&T a go and see if he likes it. :)

Well he's been doing the tumbling class this summer , and this will be his first actual " cheer " class . T&t would be awesome but there isn't a gym close by that offers it . However , this gym is supposed to be expanding ! :) so we shall see . He's just a beginner , but he's learned more in the short time at the new place than he did in a year at the old gym .,

How is the cartwheel coming? Were they able to get him on the right track?

As for cheer... My DS still says "no way!!" I don't see him going to it any time soon; but I hope by college he will be willing to consider it since he will have tumbling skills. I know one of the level 10s on his old team swapped from gymnastics to cheer at 10th grade and really loved it. He just started on a team at one of the major universities this summer.

It's coming along a lot more . They tell me how much he's improving every class . They did tell me that it was like starting over from scratch . I'm just gonna play it by ear and see what happens . It would be nice if they do expand and offer t&t

My son did cheer last season. He had a blast, was 8 at the time. There were 9 kids on the team, 4 boys. They called themselves the stunt crew instead of cheerleaders.
Unfortunately their cheer gym closed so we moved to gymnastics. He loves it.

ImageUploadedByChalkBucket1405645929.680813.jpg

Thanks everyone :) I'm so glad he's learning & having fun :) it's funny , but he doesn't even seem to mind being the only boy ;)

Male cheerleaders who aren't gay in HS have an edge on the football players so I've heard. Probably goes for college too.

Seriously. And road trips.

So I have heard a few times.

As a MAG coach, I dislike it.

Reactions: sce
The gymnastics gym cancelled the boys class for summer , & the new schedule they posted is impossible for us to get there . Plus there was the issue of no coach :(

Sent from my iPad using ChalkBucket

We had boy cheerleaders at our school and I really feel like how it is looked is depends on how the boy cheerleaders handle it. The ones at my high school loved being around the prettiest, most popular girls and bragged about it and used it to their advantage all the time. Therefore they were not looked down upon. Does that make sense? If a boy is embarrassed by being a cheerleader kids and adults will pick up on that and look down on them.

We had boy cheerleaders at our school and I really feel like how it is looked is depends on how the boy cheerleaders handle it. The ones at my high school loved being around the prettiest, most popular girls and bragged about it and used it to their advantage all the time. Therefore they were not looked down upon. Does that make sense? If a boy is embarrassed by being a cheerleader kids and adults will pick up on that and look down on them.
Yea that does make sense . My son is only 8 so right now he just really likes being around all those pretty girls lol

Sent from my iPad using ChalkBucket

My son started cheer and tumbling when he was in 8th grade. He fortunately is mister socialite and all around politician in everything he does. So he has handled whatever name calling there might have been well. He is also a football player and had to tell the football coach he would miss such and such a practice for a cheer competition... He laughed about the football coaches' expressions. I wish I could have seen them!

Anyway, not too many people mess with him now as he is going to be a Sophomore, is 6 foot and weighs 190. He also plays on the offensive line and as a linebacker for a state ranked high school football team. He has had a few of the football players come up to him and tell him he is "pure genius" for getting to hang with all those high school cheerleaders all year. I have even had a few dads ask me if they thought his cheer was helping him in football. I think they were thinking about making their sons take up cheer! LOL

What do y'all think about boys being cheerleaders? I'm fine with it but when I was taking my son to class I heard a couple of dads saying it was " for girls " .. I'm taking my son it a Cheer/tumbling clinic tonight .. Just to see if he has fun..
I think it's totally fine. Those Dads need to get over themselves. I know there are people that say the same about gymnastics. They should shut their mouth and try it, they might realize how hard it is.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back