Parents Brag Alert and Advice on How to Manage a girl who does well

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I have personally seen this happen with those bright, young stars as well. Such a shame too. The moved about 4 Level 4's from DD's old gym straight up to L7 this year. The girls were great at L4, now they've really struggling at L7. I just don't understand. They're all very young, they have plenty of time to take it slow and develop as great gymnasts. All because this gym wants to develop a large optional team. Unfortunately, NONE of the optionals are doing very well and they're all struggling w/their skills.

I had that concern myself. I have seen many talented little ones on youtube, and I do see that the majority are still loving it even after they were pushed through 2 to 3 levels in one year. One however looks miserable. I hope for her sake her coaches, parents, adults are taking into consideration her emotional unfolding.
We also have a little one at DD's gym, who scored out of 6 and went to seven and I hope for her sake she is still loving it. Every time I pick up DD, I see her all by herself. I worry that that isolation will wreak havoc on her self-esteem and psyche. Little ones are certainly not emotionally developed to undertake the same conditions as their older counter parts. Some coaches believe that just because they can withstand the trainning, emotionally they are okay as well. That I don't think is ever true. There has to be inner ground work to do with these little people.

That's exactly the concern of her coach! He is very very careful with her and the fact she is just 7...one of the girls she competed against in level 4 last year is a level 7 this year and not doing that well!!! Hopefully this cautious approach will work!! I think so!!

It sounds like you and her coach have her best interests in mind. I'm sure it's tricky to find that balance, but as long as she's enjoying it, that's the most important thing. Good luck!

That's exactly the concern of her coach! He is very very careful with her and the fact she is just 7...one of the girls she competed against in level 4 last year is a level 7 this year and not doing that well!!! Hopefully this cautious approach will work!! I think so!!

That does sound like her coach is looking for her best interest. Scoring high 38's as a very young level 5 is a very difficult feat. Just looking at her demeanor even when not in the routines, she looks like a thinker and seems completely focused. I'd imagine that those two factors coupled with her extreme talent she would be a coaches dream.
It would be a shame to rush all of that and have her love wane due to all of the pressure. It is neat watching such young ones, but then I have to think how long they can last if they are 10 yo level 10's.
I see how quickly my DD picks up skills- her technique is a different story- and I quickly get concerned. For her she would LOVE to do all of the high level skills, but I do believe her coaches also believe in the 'slow and steady'.
Good luck to your DD! She is certainly beautiful to watch! Her artistry is unmatched. All but one dynamo youtuber lacked her precision and beauty in their routines. She really is dynamic! AND her personality won me over as well!! Great parenting is happening for sure!:D

Sounds like you and the coach have a good outlook on the gymnastics process. There is plenty of time when she is a bit older and wiser to move through some levels quickly if it makes sense at that time. At her age she needs to develop more than just skills. She needs to have the time to develop mentally and emotionally - giving her the time to do that will pay off in the end, and not only in gymnastics, but in life...

Goals are fun if they are tangible! I always make sure my kids have goals that do not envolve scores! These are really out of their control! making a skill even in practice counts! Sounds like your coach realizes it is not a race to the top but a progressive climb! Good luck she will always be a star to you! Best advice I can give is always be her biggest FAN!!!!!:O) By The way She Rocks!!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back