Parents Brag for Floor

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

here is your original post.

edit: okay, i'm compelled to say something. a full is not required in level 7 in the US. it also has no additional value if performed. a full has value at level 8. additionally, a double full gets you a 0.00 at level 8 and only has value at level 9. as performed as seen it receives NO credit for a double full. therefore, this MAKES me question whether you know what a double full looks like when performed correctly. here is a typically proficient double full. and done in the last pass. YouTube - Anna Corbett Gymnastics Midwest Open Floor 2011

Yes, You are correct about the USGA Rules. I said, that it would be competed at L9, not at L8. She competed her full perfectly as a L7 to gain the experience of competing it not because it was not required. Like I said, she will be competing L9 the next season after a couple L8 competitions, so once again she will need this skill. Yes, I do know what the skill is having done it myself at the young age of 8 and being a former elite I know my gymnastics as well. P.S. the video says: Kyrie working on perfecting her double full.

This was her first day on the floor and I videoed just the one double. She has had her full since she was six and competed it all throughout her Level 7 season. She has been working her double for a while on tumble track and rod floor and has those down pat. She has her double much better now since the post and as I said when I posted that she was working on perfecting it. She will be competing Level 8 and 9 in the next season so she will need to have this move for L9. I just posted cause I am proud of her and of all that she has accomplished at the ripe young age of 7.

1. i can't find where you posted that she was working on perfecting it.

2. it was not perfect. in fact, it was not a double full. you posted that "Kyrie got her double full". as evidenced in the video that YOU posted this is clearly NOT TRUE.

3. logic dictates that if it is not performed correctly/repetitively then it is being performed incorrectly. show me 10 in a row on a hard floor, from 3 to 4 running steps, without an 8 inch mat, with the twist completed 1 foot or more above the floor with the feet facing the direction you came from on the landing, and landing 10 feet away from those mirrors as compared to 10 inches, and then i will stand respectfully corrected.

4. I DO NOT consistently post negative comments to posts. i post a balanced view from my minds eye as an experienced coach. and one that did not have 7 year olds attempting double fulls on to an 8 inch mat.

5. which leads me to what you should have posted. "my dd attempted a double full on a hard floor in to an 8" mat from a gazillion running steps which was STILL not enough linear force to create enough vertical trajectory to complete 2 twists well before landing upon the 8" mat...and make sure you look away when she lands under-rotated and under-twisted and landed within inches of the mirrors that you can see in the background...but never mind those cause she missed and i'm proud that she attempted this anyway cause she can't use this technically flawed skill until level 9 so she will be perfecting it until that time comes...so i hope you enjoy watching my daughter cause potential damage to her right knee and low back due to the landing...thank you for watching!"

6. okay, point taken. i am a parent that is a coach that had 3 children (now grown) do gymnastics. one became a level 10 gymnast at 13. if you had posted this when your daughter was 10 or 11 i'd be right with you and would have felt that pride and elation.

Last edited by a moderator:
I removed tha last post in this thread as it got a bit too close to personal for my liking!!!

Just remember folks that many coaches are parents too and they all have the right to post in the parents forum. So by posting videos on the CB you may hear stuff you do not like to hear. But I do think this thread was a good learning tool for many of our newer parents.

From here on in lets keep this thread polite and on topic. Or I will be closing it!

I have an honest question and my intent is not to criticize. First off I have to say your DD is really an amazing little gymnast and you have every right to be super proud.

I'm guessing she'll be 8 before the next season and you intend for her to do a few meets L8 like you said and then go straight to L9. Why? i just don't really understand what the reasoning is behind that. Even if she can do the skills, why the rush? I mean keep training them safely in the gym, but why skip levels?

I guess I just have a different thought process. I'd like my DD to have some level of sucess at each level before moving on. I'm not implying that your DD has not been successful, just that I recall you posting about her Level 7 state meet where she didn't place on anything and scored in the 35 range. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but I just live in a state where at Level 7 the scores are crazy high. A 35 would pretty much be the bottom of the bunch and most gyms would have girls scoring in that range repeating L7.

actually, bella's mom, it's not. i respectfully submit that the performing of a double full at 7 is misguided. and the performing of such at this age is no indication of the future.

i also respectfully submit, that performing said skill under-rotated and under-twisted repetitively over time could mean no future. this i can state within a reasonable degree of professional certainty.

Sorry..... I'm still learning about this sport the lowest competetive levels so I'm terribly out of my league when it comes to the upper levels.

So is your point that a child at 7YO is too young to have correctly trained enough to be an L7? Or I suppose for this next competition season, she will be an L8 and L9..... Sorry yet again for the ignorance, I'm trying to learn. LOL

I was just impressed because my Bella just turned 7 and she is the second youngest team member at our gym and she is just an L4. It seemed amazing that a kid the same age as my daughter could be an L7/L8/L9.

It has been educational to learn about the under rotation aspect of the skill. Like a lot of you, I immediately noticed the close proximity of the mirror and the beams that made me a bit nervous. I also wondered about the padded pillar in the middle of the floor. I wondered how that impacted the entire team's training of floor exercise.

I hope that Kylie's coach continues working with her to fix the under rotation and that she continues to enjoy gymnastics. She is a beautiful little girl and mom should be proud of her talent. I watched her other videos on YouTube and she looks lovely on both beam and bars.

I have an honest question and my intent is not to criticize. First off I have to say your DD is really an amazing little gymnast and you have every right to be super proud.

I'm guessing she'll be 8 before the next season and you intend for her to do a few meets L8 like you said and then go straight to L9. Why? i just don't really understand what the reasoning is behind that. Even if she can do the skills, why the rush? I mean keep training them safely in the gym, but why skip levels?

I guess I just have a different thought process. I'd like my DD to have some level of sucess at each level before moving on. I'm not implying that your DD has not been successful, just that I recall you posting about her Level 7 state meet where she didn't place on anything and scored in the 35 range. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but I just live in a state where at Level 7 the scores are crazy high. A 35 would pretty much be the bottom of the bunch and most gyms would have girls scoring in that range repeating L7.

I'm not flynga, but suspect that her daughter is at an elite gym? That might explain moving through the lower levels quickly. I mean, you hear of girls becoming elite gymnasts around 12 or 13 which means they tested out of the lower levels early on. DD is not at a gym that does this so there is no "rush", but have heard of this at other places.

I'm not flynga, but suspect that her daughter is at an elite gym? That might explain moving through the lower levels quickly. I mean, you hear of girls becoming elite gymnasts around 12 or 13 which means they tested out of the lower levels early on. DD is not at a gym that does this so there is no "rush", but have heard of this at other places.

No Kyrie is not at an "Elite" gym, assuming you mean a gym with elites? But they do have an optional programme. Testing for Hopes, pre elite, is done around 11-13, generally these girls are L9-10, so there is no need to hit L9 at 8 years old.

Thanks for clarifying! I wasn't sure what her gym set-up was- I'm still learning the ins and outs of this sport (re:testing for elites, etc.). Moving towards elite was the only reason I could see for getting to the upper levels early.

Even if someone was at an elite gym and that was their goal, it still seems too fast. I live in a state that has probably one of the most well known and successful elite programs in recent times and they don't move the kids through the levels that quickly. I know because I have followed their girls pretty much since the gym came on the scene. It's interesting to watch the girls grow up and move through the levels. This gym in particular does sometimes have a girl skip a level, but usually they work through the levels. Take a look at the bios of the girls on the current national team. Many of them did all the levels and many were in the 10-12 range for Level 9. I just don't see why anyone would want their 7 year old training L9 even if the goal was to be an elite gymnast.

I guess my main thought was even if she physically can do it, why do it? I don't see any advantage. I want my DD to do as well as possible at each level and really shine. That's just me though. She's already discovered that she loves getting medals. I don't think she would enjoy moving through the levels really quickly, but not placing on anything.

Thanks for clarifying! I wasn't sure what her gym set-up was- I'm still learning the ins and outs of this sport (re:testing for elites, etc.). Moving towards elite was the only reason I could see for getting to the upper levels early.

Sometimes it's best not to try and understand too much about this sport for it may drive you insane! LOL. As long as my kid is happy, being challenged, learning discipline and having fun that's all that matters to me. Sometimes ignorance is bliss!!!

This is exactly why and if I had the capability I would never coach my own child. Geez, I would never TEACH my own child! It is too close for comfort! I love my kids, but no thank you!!:D

In my mind, a brag is a brag. The appropriate responses are either "Wow! Great job!" or say nothing at all. Or maybe even "Wow! Great job! But she needs to make sure she's not still twisting when she hits the ground because gymnasts have been hurt really badly doing that!"

I understand that you feel like it's a safety thing and you have to say something, and I would certainly defend your right to express your opinions here on CB. I have no doubt that you are very experienced coaches with valid points to be made. But I highly doubt it's going to keep her DD from training double fulls... all it will do is make her reluctant to post video (or anything) here on CB again. Perhaps a seperate post discussing the dangers of training certain skills before the body is physically ready for them would be more effective, if your concern is that all of the parents of 7-year-olds who see Kyrie working on her double fulls will run to their daughters' coaches and demand that they be taught double fulls as well.

So from me, all I have to say is:
Wow! Kyrie is a really amazing little gymnast! You must be a really proud mom! :)

I do not think the the fear is that other parents will want their 7 year olds to learn fulls, it is more like if you see a parent post a video of something that appears dangerous do you think it would be kind to let them know? THe first time I watched the video I was going to say something, then the thread took on a life of it's own and it was said for me.

When you put stuff out in public, and especially into a sport specific place, you will get a response. This is not the first time this has happend here, and it won't be the last.

Last edited:
I kind of feel like when you post something publically you are opening yourself up for the positive and the negative. I'm not a coach and know virtually nothing about this sport, but my ex and I both have a facebook friend who coaches gymnastics and he is always posting videos and it takes every bit of restraint for my ex not to just blast this guy for the stuff he posts. He has no gymnastics background and he's coaching optionals (that's a whole other story) and he posts these videos of girls chucking skills that they aren't ready for and frankly look terrible even to my untrained eye. My ex said he can't even watch them anymore because it makes his blood boil because of the recklessness and stupidity. So I imagine that's a bit of how dunno felt.

CONSIDER THIS....

Gymnastics is a sport about PERFECTION. Athletes get scored on "how perfect" their skills appear.

So, what dunno is saying is completely legitimate and true. Judges DO NOT want to see gymnastics that makes them cringe. THey want to see CLEAN, TIGHT, skills.

Your daughter is lovely and talented.

You may want to start looking for a gym that knows how to develop her talent in a safe, timely fashion.

You may want to PM Dunno for a gym recommendation in your area. There are a lot of coaches who would like to have your daughter but would not have the knowledge, skill, and patience to manage her thoughtfully and cautiously over the next few years.
I fear that may be the situation you are currently in.

It may not be what you want to hear, but I think the general consensus among professionals in this industry would be that your daughter is not being guided by best standards of practice for the sport.

Best of luck to you both!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back