Parents BRAG on my 4 y/o

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

^^^felt like I needed to go "off topic" myself in this case.

I have NEVER seen a 3 year old do a back walkover. Or anything even close to a back walkover or anything suggesting they can do it. I am sure someone put it on youtube somewhere, but making it sound like you've seen and "known" multiple 3 year olds who can do back walkovers is quite frankly bizarre.

Just to clear things up a bit... just a little.. 1. thanks for the congrats and I will speak with the coach. But, my daughter is 4.5 y/o and has I swear to you a little peanut head. Like she wears infant hats still.. Anyhow.. thanks for the advice :)

It really does not matter if the little 4 year old has well developed muscles and a peanut head. A child's spine is not developed yet to withstand the pressure for lack of a better word, of doing a bridge. This isn't something that has been made up, it is based on research done by USAG. Not all gym are alike, and not all follow all USAG guidelines and recommendations. I personally would have two concerns, the first being that they aree not only allowing a 4 year old to do walkovers but encouraging it. Second would be if they are doing that what other things is the gym overlooking that USAG says/recommends.
OP, if you are still unsure after all theses parents posting of the questionable practice of bridges and walkovers, give your daughters pediatrician a call and see what their recommendation is.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using ChalkBucket mobile app

I was told by people who went to the last round of preschool HOT classes in my region (a USAG training thing) that the presenters said they changed the recommendation about BRIDGES (just the bridge itself) to whenever the child is "physically and psychologically ready" and can do it by themselves. You still shouldn't help them achieve the position (only if they can do it themselves) and only momentarily. But I haven't seen this confirmed anywhere per se...maybe a presenter gave their own opinion somewhere or didn't know. But that was the FIRST thing they told me about the course.

OP, if you are still unsure after all theses parents posting of the questionable practice of bridges and walkovers, give your daughters pediatrician a call and see what their recommendation is.
A Visit to a pediatric orthopedist, preferably one with a sports background is an even better idea. Pediatricians don't usually have the expertise in this area.

Whoops! I looked into this thread after seeing it was about a 4yo getting her back walkover. I avoided it for the same reason many members chose to post to the thread, because I, like most of you, have an opinion that's unlikely to change.

To the op........ I think it great that your dd learned a new skill, and you should be proud of your child for working hard and listening in class. I think that's the reason I stayed away from this thread......... specifically, you need to hear that your child is remarkable. It's just very unfortunate that the cause for celebration, your dd's hard work and learning ability, was channeled into the back walkover by the gym club staff.

I hope you can accept that most of us think your child's new skill is an accomplishment, but are unable to overlook the fact that bridges and back walkovers at an early age, as a practical matter, provide no long term benefits where your child's gymnastics development is concerned. What drives the conversation beyond that observation are the potential hazards to your child's long term development.

While each child's abilities and maturation rates vary, one from the other, there's one an overwhelming constant I want to mention, and then validate..........

There has never been a over-use/early-use, arch related, spine injury among the children guided by coaches who steer clear from arch dependent skills. That's the likely basis for USAG's advisory concerning bridges, front and back limbers, front and back walkovers, back walkovers, back handsprings, and though I haven't checked the USAG list, I feel the same about front handsprings, cast handstands, and any flight skill with hand support while inverted.

That's a pretty long list that may seem difficult to defend/validate....... but hey, there's no challenge I'll ever run away from except a challenge to be brief. My simple defense is that a child who is able to learn any of the kills on my personal list of excluded skills prior to age 6, will be able to learn them quickly once they turn 6. More significantly they will need fewer repetitions to learn the skill and perform those repetitions with a skeletal/muscle system more able to carry the stress loads present in these skills.

I'll bolster my validation by adding that any program capable of coaching quality athletes is also capable of working with-in the USAG guide lines with-out slowing a child's progress through upper compulsory and optional levels. I'll add one comment directed at clubs and coaches who feel they're offering children an advantage by working these skill prior to age 5......

Dear gym club/coach,

I'm unaware of the impending National back bend, limber, walkover, and handspring championships for which you seem to be training your junior athletes. I suppose my blissful ignorance to these ambitious proceedings is largely due to my focus on the long term goal, and the attention I regularly give my athletes that dependably qualify for regionals and nationals. Perhaps the next time you see me you'll be kind enough to fill me in on all the details....... just look for me the next time you bring a few of your phenoms to the state meet.

Just so everyone knows...EmmasMommy was deleted at her request.

I am now imposing a ban against her if we ever find out that she comes back under a different username. Going off topic (see above) and then "flaming" an admin is grounds for removal here at ChalkBucket. Good riddance!

Wow. Off-topic, ok. Strong opinions, ok. Rambling a bit, ok. But "flaming"? I don't see it. It didn't seem like a personal attack. Isn't everyone entitled to express their opinions, even if they are different, even if they are misinformed?

I suspect the flaming was out of public view...maybe in a pm or email.

Sent from my LGL55C using ChalkBucket mobile app

Wow. Off-topic, ok. Strong opinions, ok. Rambling a bit, ok. But "flaming"? I don't see it. It didn't seem like a personal attack. Isn't everyone entitled to express their opinions, even if they are different, even if they are misinformed?
I'm assuming the flaming post was deleted before anyone else saw it..

^^^Yup. I was thinking the same thing :D My dd didn't start gymnastics until she was the ripe ol' age of 6. Didn't do a bhs by herself until she had just turned 7...

...and is a 10 yo training L8/9 today.

Didn't hurt her a bit to wait!
Oh...and so far...not a single overuse injury...(knock on wood, lol)

Wow. Off-topic, ok. Strong opinions, ok. Rambling a bit, ok. But "flaming"? I don't see it. It didn't seem like a personal attack.

The post was removed. It was an extreme personal attack.

Isn't everyone entitled to express their opinions, even if they are different, even if they are misinformed?

This is a gymnastics forum. Everyone is entitled to express their opinions about gymnastics...even if they are different...even if they are misinformed.

Step beyond those boundaries and we can and will "ban".

Whoops! I looked into this thread after seeing it was about a 4yo getting her back walkover. I avoided it for the same reason many members chose to post to the thread, because I, like most of you, have an opinion that's unlikely to change.

To the op........ I think it great that your dd learned a new skill, and you should be proud of your child for working hard and listening in class. I think that's the reason I stayed away from this thread......... specifically, you need to hear that your child is remarkable. It's just very unfortunate that the cause for celebration, your dd's hard work and learning ability, was channeled into the back walkover by the gym club staff.

I hope you can accept that most of us think your child's new skill is an accomplishment, but are unable to overlook the fact that bridges and back walkovers at an early age, as a practical matter, provide no long term benefits where your child's gymnastics development is concerned. What drives the conversation beyond that observation are the potential hazards to your child's long term development.

While each child's abilities and maturation rates vary, one from the other, there's one an overwhelming constant I want to mention, and then validate..........

There has never been a over-use/early-use, arch related, spine injury among the children guided by coaches who steer clear from arch dependent skills. That's the likely basis for USAG's advisory concerning bridges, front and back limbers, front and back walkovers, back walkovers, back handsprings, and though I haven't checked the USAG list, I feel the same about front handsprings, cast handstands, and any flight skill with hand support while inverted.

That's a pretty long list that may seem difficult to defend/validate....... but hey, there's no challenge I'll ever run away from except a challenge to be brief. My simple defense is that a child who is able to learn any of the kills on my personal list of excluded skills prior to age 6, will be able to learn them quickly once they turn 6. More significantly they will need fewer repetitions to learn the skill and perform those repetitions with a skeletal/muscle system more able to carry the stress loads present in these skills.

I'll bolster my validation by adding that any program capable of coaching quality athletes is also capable of working with-in the USAG guide lines with-out slowing a child's progress through upper compulsory and optional levels. I'll add one comment directed at clubs and coaches who feel they're offering children an advantage by working these skill prior to age 5......

Dear gym club/coach,

I'm unaware of the impending National back bend, limber, walkover, and handspring championships for which you seem to be training your junior athletes. I suppose my blissful ignorance to these ambitious proceedings is largely due to my focus on the long term goal, and the attention I regularly give my athletes that dependably qualify for regionals and nationals. Perhaps the next time you see me you'll be kind enough to fill me in on all the details....... just look for me the next time you bring a few of your phenoms to the state meet.

Great post. Lots and lots of congratulations to your dd for all the reasons mentioned above. Lots of lots of ? to your coaches and gym for all the reasons mentioned above.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back