Parents Gymnastics at home

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Ok, weird question.

I am constantly tasked by my daughter to play gymnastics at home. I'm the teacher, she and her sisters are the students lol. She's 4 so it's cute. BUT, I'm doing it wrong apparently. What are some good things to do at home that won't mess up her coaches teaching form?

Im thinking stretching, conditioning, pull ups, holds, walking on beam, dismount on beam. Maybe straddle press to handstand

easy enough?

when my kid is playing gymnastics with his brother, he does the standard warm-up that they do at the beginning of every practice. It’s always the same stretches and shaping exercises in the same order. Have her teach it to you and her siblings.

I generally refuse to help with anything beyond "can you hold my legs" type stuff on the grounds that I'm not a coach, have no idea what I'm doing, and could at best teach her bad habits and at worst put her in danger. But that's just me!

Maybe I'm wrong but we just watch videos and do the simpler stuff together. Since she's 4 I would keep it simple though - bridges from the floor then move to standing bridges using the wall, mats etc. as she gets older or what not. Maybe try cartwheel variations. That's how we started. I don't do complicated stuff at home and try to refuse to help generally. Although that doesn't stop her so sometimes I step in just to try to keep her as safe as I can. We also play "gymnastics quiz" and she loves that (can you do a carthwheel? can you hold a handstand for x seconds etc). Now that she's on team though she plays gymnastics less at home since she gets her fill in her practice.

Not too many bridges for under 5 year olds though. In the UK back extension isn't recommended until they are 5. I understand that many 4 year olds are perfectly capable of performing a bridge but why risk it, and no gymnasts should be doing multiple bridge work at home whatever their age. At her age I would stick to holding shapes correctly and stretching, beam balancing and walking, that sort of thing, it sounds like you have good ideas already. Maybe your daughter can play teacher and show you how to do her shapes "correctly"?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back