WAG Bypassing L10 (or even L9) regionals to go directly to Naptionals?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Muddlethru

Proud Parent
Is there a way athletes can bypass regionals and be secured a spot in nationals? A school newspaper in our district had an article highlighting a gymnast in our school district. The article indicated she was going to be competing in Junior Olympic Nationals in May. We just finished states. And while she qualified to compete in regionals, regionals is in three weeks. Newspapers are not always accurate in their reporting, and interviewees have not always been truthful. But I was just wondering if indeed this can be done.

Last edited:
No you cannot bypass Regionals to go to JO Nationals , Easterns or Westerns:

From Rules and Policies:

Page 21:
e. There are NO PETITIONS to Eastern or Western Championships

Page 24:

f. There are NO PETITIONS to the Jr. Olympic National Championships.

*For the NIT, you can petition in if you qualified to last year's NIT or JOs and were unable to compete this year at Regionals due to illness or injury (p.26)

Don't know what the gymnast's situation is unless she's just really confident...

Aren't there 1 or 2 regions where there are so few girls in certain age divisions that they they are a shoe-in as long ad they get a 34? Don't know where you are though.

Aren't there 1 or 2 regions where there are so few girls in certain age divisions that they they are a shoe-in as long ad they get a 34? Don't know where you are though.

yes. but you still must go to regionals. there is no pass thru to nationals.

I think that is the USAG rule in all regions. But only maybe 1 or 2 regions get to take advantage of that rule. Our region is not one of them.

yes. but you still must go to regionals. there is no pass thru to nationals.
I just meant that whoever was giving information for that article may have just been assuming that this girl was a definite to qualify for a spot so he/she stated it that way, instead of muddying the article with "well first she goes to regionals where she is a shoe in for qualifying for nationals." Personally, my thought is never count your chix before they hatch - anything could happen...

Region 2 is really the only one that has trouble filling spots for JO Nationals, at least in recent years. Though there are several states that can't field a State team for Regional meets. I know Region 7 has an extra "All-Star" team in some age groups at level 8 because Delaware did not have single kid to represent them.
As for the original question, I would say it's either a misquote or a very confident gymmie.

Region 2 is really the only one that has trouble filling spots for JO Nationals, at least in recent years. Though there are several states that can't field a State team for Regional meets. I know Region 7 has an extra "All-Star" team in some age groups at level 8 because Delaware did not have single kid to represent them.
As for the original question, I would say it's either a misquote or a very confident gymmie.
That would be us :) I there are only 10 or 12 level 10 in the entire state of Idaho :) We do well though :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back