Calculating force needed for strength holds

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

D

Deleted member 9865

Hello everyone =)

I've been reading a load of Bio-mechanics notes, and seeing how its possible to measure different outputs of energy.

I'll skip ahead to my real life example so that the above makes more contextual sense, I have a gymnast, and he's been doing a lot of Cross preparations and specific conditioning for the element, and still after quite a long period of time having difficulties, to be honest I think it's a mental block rather than a physical impermanent.

My question is, is it possible to, by using a gymnasts height and weight, calculate their strength output (using only muscles thats needed for the element), and compare it to the strength that would be needed for them to safely hold a cross without too much strain.

I really hope this makes sense to anyone reading it, and I apologize for long winded explanation.

many thanks to anyone who replies

Nathan Hughes.

Hello everyone =)

I've been reading a load of Bio-mechanics notes, and seeing how its possible to measure different outputs of energy.

I'll skip ahead to my real life example so that the above makes more contextual sense, I have a gymnast, and he's been doing a lot of Cross preparations and specific conditioning for the element, and still after quite a long period of time having difficulties, to be honest I think it's a mental block rather than a physical impermanent.

My question is, is it possible to, by using a gymnasts height and weight, calculate their strength output (using only muscles thats needed for the element), and compare it to the strength that would be needed for them to safely hold a cross without too much strain.

I really hope this makes sense to anyone reading it, and I apologize for long winded explanation.

many thanks to anyone who replies

Nathan Hughes.

did you mean impediment? and are you talking about 'iron cross' on still rings?? and if you are, you need some kind of cross machine. one with a flat belt attached to ropes and pulleys. just like an overhead rig. it reduces approx 30% of the athletes weight. you do sets and reps in the machine.

i am not aware of any research asking what you are asking.

It is possible that the gymnast cannot perform the cross because he does not "believe" he can do it. However, usually a gymnast believes he cannot do a cross because he knows he is not strong enough. If a gymnast is twice as strong as he needs to be to do the cross...he will do it.

More strength training = more confidence = more skills!

Does this make any sense at all? Find the area of your wrist to your hand (let's call it "x") then using your weight ("y") and the width from your hand to hand if standing in a T shape ("z").

Then Y/(X) multiplied by Z (multiplied because of the area between the bases of support)

So for example 10stone / 1.2 x 1.6 = 13.3 which is the total weight needed to be supported, so divide that by 2hands = 6.6stone on each arm. So if you could hold a exercise weight of 6.6stone with extended arms then you'd be able to attempt a cross, but if you reversed that idea, and said I can only hold a maximum of 5stone weight, you'd know how much more you'd need to improve?

I'm really tired and half asleep so the Math is all wrong I assume, also the equation I used is wrong(wasn't sure if the angle and tension of the cables needed to be used, I assumed not as its a horizontal plane, assuming perfect shape) I think but again, tired. Also obviously the units used are wrong but I'm not sure what's an avg weight in Kg's.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back