Off Topic Calling UK members

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Just want to know if you are all okay.

My family and friends and well and truly snowed in this morning in Scotland and England. Mum and Dad have been unable to drive for over a week now as there is so much snow, no food left on the stores of locals shops and Asda can't get through to deliver food. Dad set of for the hospital this am, to have a pre surgery check, and ended up in a field in his friends very nice 4x4.

THings are very rough it seems. Let us know how you are doing *** I know how hard this weather can be in a country that is set up for it, it's terrible in a country that never gets snow!

We're okay up here, it doesn't sound half as bad as your mum and dad! We have about six inches I think, but none of the roads have been cleared and the council apparently has no grit or salt. Our street is like an ice rink!

We are all ok, but everything is really disrupted. We have had 12 inches of snow and are due for more from sunday to tuesday.
My college is attached to a secondary school (11-16) and both were closed on tuesday on wednesday. Most of the schools in the area were closed.

The older girls (14 - 18) have returned to school today. However, the roof on the main college building has collapsed under the weight of the snow and the boiler pipes have burst in the same building, and an additional temporary building has a massive hole in after part of a tree fell on it. It is all very dramatic!

As Year 13 (my year) and year 11 have public exams from monday we are trying to keep it together but it is very chaotic. Only about half of the girls who should have returned to school today manage to make it. There are not enough classrooms even for the year groups that are in.

On the plus side, years 7, 8 and 9 are excited about the prospect of another 10 days off!

All good here! We are getting back to normal now, I live in a town which never gets snow, and we had about 6 inches too! (I know that sounds like nothing, but it's a big deal here!)

We had to cancel 2 days of gym as the roads were just horrendous and the car park was an ice rink. we went in for our competitive girls last night and the caretaker very kindly salted the entrance and exit for us, but the car park itself was pretty scary.

My friend posted this very cool picture on facebook:
http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphoto...647487344942_193103676_39757344_7160262_n.jpg

My mum just went outside and it's minus 20C :eek: (-4f)

This has been the worst winter here since 1963. :cold:

That picture is amazing, I saw it on the news this morning.

Last edited:
That's funny I saw that pic yesterday and have it as my screen saver, it's so beautiful and yet a little gobsmacking. My bro had -20c just south of Aberdeen last night, he is a plumber and is not looking forward to the big thaw!

Glad you are all faring well.

That's funny I saw that pic yesterday and have it as my screen saver, it's so beautiful and yet a little gobsmacking. My bro had -20c just south of Aberdeen last night, he is a plumber and is not looking forward to the big thaw!

Glad you are all faring well.

I would have thought his eyes would be lighting up with pound signs at all those burst pipes hehe.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back