Can someone explain Prep Op to me?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I'm pretty sure they didn't have these Prep Op programs when I was a gymnast. I'm suddenly hearing about it all the time and I'm not quite sure how it works. Anyone wanna fill me in? Thanks!

If you think about other sports, like soccer and baseball, there are "traveling" competitive teams and then recreational leagues/teams that are less competitive. Prep Opt(now called Xcel) is kind of like a recreational gymnastics league. It is a way for girls who love and want to compete gymnastics to do so even though they may not want to devote the time or may not have the athletic talent to make it through the traditional JO system.

The Prep Opt team at our gym has a combination of "retired" JO team members who still want to do gym but only want to practice a few hours a week, and girls who have only done recreational gymnastics and want a chance to compete but don't want to commit to the JO team.

years ago, it was explained to us as "fun team"....they get their own routines and get to compete but don't spend as many hours in the gym as JO

Prep Opt varies from state to state. This is my personal observation of the "level" and may not be totally accurate but it will give you an idea.

In Pennsylvania we have 3 levels, Beginner, Intermediate and Advanced and they do optional routines. The beginner level is more along the lines of less serious recreational with routines around the level 5 to level 6 area. Intermediate is typically the largest group and consists of kids that could do level 6 but don't for whatever reasons but they typically aren't quite ready for level 7. Advanced are kids that could be doing level 7 or higher but may not be for whatever reason.

At our gym the beginner prep opt doesn't practice quite as many hours as the regular team. The intermediate prep opt practices the same hours as our level 6 and up girls do. I don't think our gym has ever competed advanced prep opt.

Last edited:
We are also in pa although I really do not understand it but I think our gym uses it for older girls instead of competing compulsaries then maybe they can petition out of the lower levels and be with girls their own age. They compete in the same usag meets just not a level they are considered prep.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back