Parents Cant convince daughter to leave terrible gym

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

chandler219

Proud Parent
My daughter has been at the same gym since she was 2 years old. She thinks they are family and wont leave. I dont make her but it;s so hard to pay them money when they do nothing for it. Is this something as a parent I should say you have no choice. I always wanted her to be happy doing it and she has her friends. By her age now she has passed gymnastics prime and she is very tall so I know its just fun. The gym is scary, not enough coaches or an unqualified warm body and they are doing Optionals level 7 moves.

Is there a way to verify coach qualifications or certifications?

If it is about safety concerns, you absolutely get to just move her anyway. She may not like it and be upset with you, but you have to keep her safe.
Her original coach since she was young is a good spotter but they arent enough for all athletes. When they leave early they have others who the athletes don't trust or the owners kid who is a coach but has no skills.

Do you talk to her friends' parents? Are they thinking the same thing? It might be easier if others switched too. Since it is a safety issue, I would move her to a different gym or sport regardless of her feelings. Maybe getting her involved in the new choice would help. How old is she?

Consider signing her up for something else where she can make new friends and she might just choose to leave on her own. Volleyball, cheer, diving, track, etc.

Do you talk to her friends' parents? Are they thinking the same thing? It might be easier if others switched too. Since it is a safety issue, I would move her to a different gym or sport regardless of her feelings. Maybe getting her involved in the new choice would help. How old is she?
14. Her friends parents agree but we cant get her friends to move either. Their gym they just mess around and when they go to a good gym they have to work hard and they train with littles because their behind in skills.

I do not see why you need to "convince" her. What if she decided to stop going to school or take drugs and you could not convince her otherwise? It is nice to try to come to a solution together, but you are the parent and it is your decision. If there is another gym that works for you, tell her she can move to that gym and do the work needed, or move to another sport or activity, but her time at this gym is over because you are not going to keep throwing your money away on a gym that is not training her properly.

What are her goals in the sport? If it's just to have fun are you okay with that? Maybe talk to the gym owners about not having athletes spot her and if there is a day the good spotting coach isn't there ,don't send your daughter?

We went through something similar with my daughter a year ago... but for us it was more about good technical coaching and my daughter being unable to reach her goals at that gym than safety.
For us, I just had an open honest disscussion with my daughter about how it would be very hard for her to reach her goals at the current gym. After a very low score she agreed and we were able to pursue changing gyms. I will say it was not a totally easy transition for her but it didn't take long for her to see the difference and be much happier at the new gym.

The safety conerns bring in a whole other level though... you will have to decide if you are willing to stay or not. I like the one suggestion to get her involved in other things... Good Luck!!

Sadly, you have to draw the line at safety issues. I’ll bet if you leave, your daughter’s friends will follow. You might want to seek out an Xcel Diamond program because the kids will be the right age and it’ll be lower hours so she can start to explore to other activities.

P.s. there are no qualifications necessary to coach gymnastics in the US.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back