Parents Cartilage repair in the elbow

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymmomtoo

Proud Parent
Does anyone have experience with their gymnast having surgery to repair torn cartilage in their elbow? If so, what was the recovery time? My DD just got the news that she should consider surgery (if she doesn't, the pain will just continue to get worse but it's not a life or death thing) and I'm trying to find out if his recovery time is realistic or really conservative. The good thing is that she can wait until after season (she was a level 10 but quit last year due to numerous injuries so she does high school now)

Thanks for any feedback!

What type of injury and proposed surgery?

No direct experience, but daughter's former teammate had micro-fracture surgery during middle school for cartilage repair. There is debate about the effectiveness of this procedure, with better success reported for younger patients, but as they say, YMMV (teammate suffered a number of allergies and food challenges, which may/may not have contributed to bone growth challenges). Not to scare you, but former teammate is no longer in the sport. That said, my adult neighbor had micro-fracture for his knee in his late 20s and has recovered to his former activity/performance level

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back