Cartwheel Fundraiser!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So this year is my school's anniversary (125 years old) and one of the things we are doing is using our talents to raise money for a school building project in Kenya. Each person has to come up with an individual way of using their talents to raise money so I thought of...cartwheels. However I wanted to do something a bit different to the "how many cartwheels can you do in a minute" one.

I thought of doing it over a distance so people would sponsor me for the distance I manage to cartwheel eg per 10m or something like that or just doing a sponsor me per cartwhel but it's quite hard to set it up without really knowing how far I will get. Does anyone have any experience of a similar fundraiser or know how far a good gymnast would be able to cartwheel nonstop? Not sure quite how to pull this one off and thought there wasn't a better place to ask!

Great idea.
I seriously think it'd be a good idea to check out Guiness Book to see if there's a current similar record. You might even get corporate sponsorship to set/break a record like that?

Does your school have a 100m track or similar? You could see how many times you could go up and down the track (when you physically can't do any more, or fall, you stop) and get people to sponsor you a set amount OR per N number of meters (Perhaps put cones every 10m to keep track). I bet you'd go further than you'd think! Have a practice down your tumble track in the gym if you can!

What about making it a little bit harder (although I'm sure this would still be easy for you) by doing the cartwheels on a bench? How many can you stick in a set time? Or do them 1 handed?

We did a sponsored punch front the other week. 10 of us had 10 minutes to stick as many punchfronts on the tumble track as poss.
(basically 1 minute each) We asked people to sponsor us either per stuck somersault OR a set amount. In the end I think most were sponsored per somersault. So far we've raised just over £160 but only 4 people have returned their money, so hopefully a bit more to come in since our target was £250!

Good luck!

Do you know where in Kenya the project is? I used to live there... met my hubby there, in fact! I lived in Kisumu, right on Lake Victoria. My husband lived in Kakamega, in the last little bit of remaining rainforest. We tell people that we lived in different hemispheres and saw each other every weekend! Unfortunately, he did NOT have running water, so I can't tell you if the water went down the toilet bowl the other way around...

I don't know anything about the gymnastics end of thigns, but I know that there are ways to set up websites so that people can donate to your cause... then you can post the link on your facebook page and even on here! I'd definitely sponsor you (what with the Kenya connection and all). I've never set up a fundraising page like that though, so I can't tell you how it's done. Maybe with a little digging around on line you can find a site that would host your fundraising efforts and make it easier to get donations?

My gym does something like that, and we do 250 tumbling lines in the mall. We go door-to-door (not actually the best idea, but still) and then set up a table in the mall and people sponser us.

I love your idea, and like happyfacegrin said, you might even get a corporate sponsership if you try to break a record, and it's for a great cause!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back