cheetah heel cups for severs

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

momof5

Proud Parent
I just bought the cheetah cup for my DD who has severs. It only affects one of her feet so I only ordered one heel cup but then I got to thinking is it going to hard to wear only one. If she is standing are her feet going to be a the same height? How hard is it to get used to tumbling and running in them?

Wearing one is fine. My DD had Severs in both heels so wore two but had teammates who only wore one. Just a word of advice on maintenance of these Cheetah cups - they can be washed in the washer (and believe me, they do get sweaty and stinky and you will want to wash them!) Lysol helps too. Get Tinactin spray too - helps prevent athlete's foot which can happen when wearing them. Spray the Tinactin before putting on the heel cup.

Most I know who use them use both otherwise it's like wearing one shoe.

Okay, here's what my coach said.
I had worn these Tuli Cheetahs for a long time & my Sever's had never slowed down.
Coach said that they were setting me up higher so that my achilles weren't being stretched when I was standing.
Yes, they feel great on Sever's.
I had extremely flexible achilles before the tuli cheetah's & now they are really tight.
My advice:
Let her wear them ONLY when her heels are bothering her badly.
When it's only a little painful, stretch.
Sit down in a pike and have her pull her toes towards her with bent knees.
Hope the pain subsides quickly! :)

When my daughter had Severs she wore the cheetahs but felt that they never really helped...what did help is when she broke her foot and ended up in a cast for 2 months...the complete immobilization did the trick...not that i'm advocating casting her , but that was really the only thing that helped...and since then, she doesn't do front tucks on beam as she felt that particular skill aggravated it...

I dealt with Severs for several years and loved the Cheetah and heel cups. I only wore one Cheetah and I never felt off balance or anything. Agreeing with the people above, DO WASH THEM OFTEN. The fabric is not very breathable and they get very sweaty and very stinky. I also put baby powder inside of mine before I wore it. I would also sometimes do this while is was wearing it. If I wore it for too long, it would get really sweaty and start to slide around my foot so when this happened I would take it off and try to absorb some of the moisture with the baby powder. Baking soda would probably work well for this too. As for the wearing it all the time, I would agree with Krysta. My coaches advised me that I only wear it when it really hurts, otherwise you coddle the joint and it does not have the chance to heal or strengthen itself. I felt that icing and stretching worked very well for relieving pain. My doctor also prescribed orthotics which have been lifesavers. I really know and understand how frustrating and painful this can be. Hope this helps and good luck! :)

My dd used to wear just one. It didn't bother her. Our pediatrician, however, advised to always wear two. She said she doesn't like to do something unilaterally like that as it could lead to some unbalance, compensation issues.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back