Parents Chiropractic medicine and gymnastics

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

This is a general question, not specific to my DD....does anyone use chiropractors as a way of medical attention and/or maintaining their gymnasts' health? I see where other athletes have used chiropractors on a regular basis, and just wondered if anybody has any experience with this?

Personally, I have taken my DD to be adjusted on one occasion (out chiropractor is a dear friend), and our son is going to be starting chiropractic school this summer. It just made me wonder....

yes. and congrats on your son being admitted to National. Many former gymnasts attend there. :)

Thanks: to clarify (it made sense in my head, but I can see how it didn't post the way I meant!): my daughter is 12 and level 5 gymnast....her older brother is going to become a chiropractor! Lol! I'm super proud of them both!

Our team actually has a chiropractor that donates his time. My daughter has been seeing him out of the gym as well and he's helped her a lot. I know many don't believe in chiropractor, but I have nothing but good to say about him :)

Yes. In my experience we tend to deal with the ones that are not super holistic into the old tenets of chiropractics.

Get in, adjust stuff, fix stuff, get back to training. I've been told by a few sports chiro that really they should be able to fix whatever is going wrong so it's not a chronic use modality.

I have no problem with them, except for spinal adjustments I have a big problem with that. Also making sure these are properly qualified professionals and not just some joe hanging out a shingle. The osteopath my girls see is an MD and an osteopath.

Both my girls go and love it. My 16 year old is strongly considering that as career choice as well perhaps sticking with sports chiropractic.

Our team actually has a chiropractor that donates his time. My daughter has been seeing him out of the gym as well and he's helped her a lot. I know many don't believe in chiropractor, but I have nothing but good to say about him :)

It is not a matter of belief. Belief is for religions. Chiropractic is a science, and there is plenty of evidence to show it works.

I have no problem with them, except for spinal adjustments I have a big problem with that. Also making sure these are properly qualified professionals and not just some joe hanging out a shingle. The osteopath my girls see is an MD and an osteopath.

Spinal adjustments are the meat and potatoes of what chiropractors do, so I don't really understand your comment. Also, chiropractors are licensed professionals with doctoral degrees and a four year post graduate education. Not a joe with a shingle. That is a misconception.

i too am friends with Jaffe. AND he is friends with Dr. Larry Nassar. good company those 2. :)

Spinal adjustments are the meat and potatoes of what chiropractors do, so I don't really understand your comment. Also, chiropractors are licensed professionals with doctoral degrees and a four year post graduate education. Not a joe with a shingle. That is a misconception.
In the same way that Naturopaths are qualified, so are chiropractors. I do not support their raison d'etre. Spinal adjustments are contraindicated in many people. We just avoid them and see a sports therapist and osteopath, they do not play with our spines.

In the same way that Naturopaths are qualified, so are chiropractors. I do not support their raison d'etre. Spinal adjustments are contraindicated in many people. We just avoid them and see a sports therapist and osteopath, they do not play with our spines.

Yes, education for naturopaths has come a long way. I believe their professional licensure is currently recognized in 11 states, whereas chiropractic licensure is legal in 50 states and around the world. It is fine if you do not support chiropractors. We all make our choices. But lets keep the facts straight. Yes, manipulation is contraindicated in many conditions. Chiropractors are well aware of them. Medications are contraindicated in many conditions as well. Chiropractors do not "play with spines". They treat their patients.

Good reads, Bog. I think the second article in particular does a nice job identifying the core issues, and also how to find a good chiropractor (or at least avoid the bad ones) if one is so inclined. I go to a chiro and have often thought the office I now go to is more like a physical therapists office...sounds like I found a good one!

But I also agree that some people should not be treated by one also, and hopefully would not be treated if that were the case.

How is your daughter doing, btw? Is she feeling mostly back to "normal"?

I agree with Bog. You have to decide which treatment approach is right for your child. (and it's nice that there are several approaches) Educate yourself beforehand on the mechanics of the treatment you are wondering about, talk to the professionals, and go with what fits your philosophy, good sense, and gut feeling.

All of the allopathic, naturalpathic, and chiropractic professionals undergo rigorous training, and have to earn their credentials through some kind of certification process. However, some treatment approaches are not indicated in some situations, like Bog said. Even if there are no contraindications, according to any one professional, you may think another treatment approach would be a better fit.

I personally feel that a "grade 5" manipulation (moving the joint somewhat beyond it's normal range of motion) is not such a good idea, especially of small joints of the spinal column. Others disagree with me for sure, and research has substantiated that it's beneficial for sure, but it's not for me and my children. It is not the best fit for my good sense, philosophy, and gut feeling, after exploring the options that are out there.

However, I'm glad that it works for others.

Actually Bog that is a great article. I do not disagree with any of it. There are problems and schisms in the chiropractic profession. My problem is the terminology you used, such as "Joe with a shingle", and "play with spines". Because there are unethical, unscientific, culty chiropractors out there, does not justify bad-mouthing the profession as a whole. If you have had a bad experience, I'm sorry, but there are many great chiropractors out there who do integrate principles of physical medicine. who are science-based. Who do reject subluxation theory. Who hire physical therapists as their employees and go to conferences to learn new techniques and who publish research articles and texts. One last point- if you are going to allow someone to manipulate your spine would you have an osteopath or PT who might do a grade 5 manipulation 15 or 20 times a week or a chiropractor who likely does so 20 times a day? Manipulation is just one tool that can be used. Used responsibly in the greater context of physical medicine it can be a powerful tool.

How is your daughter doing, btw? Is she feeling mostly back to "normal"?
Thanks for asking. She is coming along very well. She still has some pain now and again, but really can do most things again. She has limited flexibility in her spine, which frustrates the ex gymnast in her. She will see her ortho soon and hope he can advise further on what she can realistically do.

Last edited:
I thought they were both great articles and addressed the whole picture. I try not to only look at things one way. But it is a belief system that needs to believed in to be supported. As long as parents feel happy with their educated choices then it is all good. The expressions I used are ones you will find all over the internet. Not all practitioners are created equally and there are many cases where people do literally hang out a shingle and practice on people. That is why I said you must be very sure of the qualifications of which chiro you choose and you must be aware of the times when these "adjustments" are contraindicated. All about education isn't it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back