Parents Chiropractic medicine and gymnastics

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I am a total believer in "my" chiropractor! There is a spectrum of competency in every profession, no difference here. I totally trust my chiro, because I know how hard he works to stay at the top of his field. 3 times now I have seen an ortho first for various issues (none of them back pain), received a recommendation for surgery or other invasive procedure, then went to the chiro as a "last ditch effort" to find another solution. All three times he was able to tell me what was wrong in a matter of minutes, and recommend a non-surgical alternative that worked. One of those instances, I had been to 3 months of physical therapy with no results. I have now vowed to start with my chiro. However, he is not a "fringe" player who promises to heal any ailment...he is very honest in his assessment: He specializes in the alignment of the body. If the issue is an alignment issue, he can help. Twice he has corrected alignment issues for my dd (8 yo gymnast) that brought her immediate relief. Once in her elbow/shoulder and once in her shoulder. Don't get me wrong, we like our ortho doc as well. With 4 active children, and a hubby who won't give up basketball...I get to see him every year or so. I just see chiropractic as a great alternative to consider as well. (and in my case, the first stop for anything other than an obvious broken bone).

I thought they were both great articles and addressed the whole picture. I try not to only look at things one way. But it is a belief system that needs to believed in to be supported.

Chiropractic is not a belief system.

As long as parents feel happy with their educated choices then it is all good. The expressions I used are ones you will find all over the internet.

Because there is a negative bias towards chiropractors, not because they are accurate.

Not all practitioners are created equally and there are many cases where people do literally hang out a shingle and practice on people.

I don't beleve the incidence of practicing without a license is any greater in chiropractors than medical doctors.

That is why I said you must be very sure of the qualifications of which chiro you choose and you must be aware of the times when these "adjustments" are contraindicated. All about education isn't it.[/QUOTe

Agreed.

My daughter would never survive gymnastics without her chiro. She is a tall, skinny, crazy flexible gymnast that deals with back pain, specific PT exercises at home and an adjustment from the chiro about every 6 weeks keeps her from hurting!!
She can tell when she needs to go too!
We love our chiro!!

Yes and its done wonders for my DD!! She now goes once every other month or when she says something is hurting (which ever comes first). With it she has been tumbling pain free. Ours is a "whole body" chiropractor which means he adjusts all the joints not just the back. First time she went she had back issues during that first visit he found every area that she had an injury in the past year and adjusted haven't had any pain since (except the sprained ankle and the finger caught in the door but they don't count LOL)

I would like to add that I'm also a therapist, and in the past, was not a fan of chiropractors, mainly because they adjusted the spine but didn't address the underlying problem of muscle imbalance. However, in recent years, there are more and more therapists working along side chiropractors to give the clients a home program so the spine can stay in alignment better.

I appreciate all the feedback, I have taken my DD to the chiropractor when she hurt her hand, and when her SI joint was out.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back