WAG Chiropractor for gymnasts? Thoughts?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My DD has been going ot our chiropractor for a few years. He specializes in sports injuries and attends Olympic and National events where he works on the athletes. She only goes when she has an injury, ankle, elbow, osgood schlatters. He does NOT adjust her spine or neck at all, I won't allow it. He uses ART (active release techniques), laser and ultrasound as well as giving her specific stretches to strenghen the weak areas. It usually takes a couple of appointments before she is completely fixed, we call him the miracle doctor. The osgood schlatters took longer as it involved a growth spurt and very tight quad muscles that had to be stretched. The last injury was a rolled ankle after hitting the beat board the wrong way, the gym said let her rest it for a couple of weeks, I took her to the chiro the next day and she was fixed after one session. They use the ART on triathletes who need to recover from injuries very quickly in order to resume training and I highly recommend it.

Yeah, my friend's wife goes to a family chiro once per week just about every week and continued to do so during pregnancy even when she was put on bed rest on her 2nd pregnancy because of unique complications of her uterus.

She never had any ill effects from her weekly visits which started some years ago after a car wreck. I personally think she the chiro visits probably helped her birthing labor a lot since she isn't very physically active (she wasn't allowed on the 2nd pregnancy but on the 3rd and 4th they later to do normal day to day stuff).

Lets see, Mom said never discuss religion, politics, and ...........oh yeah, chiropractors! ;)
Therefore, I will make it brief and say my opinion is that when they go beyond massage therapy, they are going beyond the scope and range of safe and effective medicine. Having said that, I believe everyone has to do what they feel is best for themselves and their children. Years ago before I had formed an opinion, I went to at least a half a dozen visits with gymnasts that were seeing one. I was appalled at what they were doing to put it nicely. I also went to one myself, and felt the only thing that was missing was the smoke, chanting, and incense. :)

they are great. and as i have posted before on this topic, NO TORQUEING of the neck or spine.

we gymnasts already have enough of that going on. :)

I once went to a podiatrist who was the biggest (expletive) in the world. He was arrogant, insulting, his information was inaccurate, he wanted to subject me to extensive x-rays, and he actually said to my mother, "Your daughter's biggest problem is YOU". This is an absolutely true story. Therefore, all podiatrists are stupid and horrible and no one should ever see them, unless it is for a foot massage.

Get it?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back