Coaches Chronically High RO-BHS

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I have one gymnast- Xcel Bronze (she has about a level 3 skill level) who is struggling with ro-bhs, particularly a very high bhs- at our meet on Saturday she barely skimmed the floor with her fingertips. We have gone back to spotted standing bhs and drills, but as soon as we put it back together the same problems reappear. We've gotten to the point where going high is no longer a problem for her standing bhs, but adding the ro changes everything.
She is incredibly strong and quick which is an asset in places but also a hindrance as she has a tendency to muscle through skills and think all is well if she lands on her feet. She also struggles with feeling body shapes- I pause her in the correct shape, then the incorrect shape and she just cannot tell the difference.
Looking for any additional drills or tips that might help.

I have 1 other that struggles a bit with her ro-bhs, but she is slow twitch and I think just needs some more time and drills. But any general drills to help clean up ro-bhs would be greatly appreciated!

Snap-down drills off a panel mat, working on getting feet in front of body. RO over an object (mail box, panel mat standing up) working on getting feet in front of body. She's likely making the error on her RO which is causing the BHS to be too high.
Thanks. It is definitely the RO that is the problem, which is perhaps the most frustrating part because she has one of the best ROs when the bhs isn't attached. But I will keep trying! We have done RO over an object, but have not tried snap downs yet, so I might give that a try next week.

Work cartwheel step-ins!

Have her do them slow with a tight lever out, then gradually work on speeding them up. Doing them down a wedge mat for additional speed, and having her scoop her feet through, falling immediately to her back on a big resi mat or some stacked 8' mats works well, too. Then you can work cartwheel step-in back handsprings on flat ground, gradually increasing speed. Finally, you can have her try the cartwheel step-in down one wedge mat, connecting immediately into a back handspring going up another wedge mat. This set up encourages scooping with the feet for speed, while simultaneously encouraging a powerful jump in order to make it uphill.

I've had some good success with this process.

Work cartwheel step-ins!

Have her do them slow with a tight lever out, then gradually work on speeding them up. Doing them down a wedge mat for additional speed, and having her scoop her feet through, falling immediately to her back on a big resi mat or some stacked 8' mats works well, too. Then you can work cartwheel step-in back handsprings on flat ground, gradually increasing speed. Finally, you can have her try the cartwheel step-in down one wedge mat, connecting immediately into a back handspring going up another wedge mat. This set up encourages scooping with the feet for speed, while simultaneously encouraging a powerful jump in order to make it uphill.

I've had some good success with this process.
Thanks! I do most of those drills with my pre-team kids but had not thought about using them with this group, but I think it could be really helpful. And we should have time during Christmas break practices to work lots of drills. It doesn't help that this child receives sideline coaching from parents (and probably at home instruction as well).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back