Anon Missing a basic=should this be over?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

A

Anonymous (ed8b)

My daughter will compete Level 3 this winter. Maybe.

ROBHS is haunting her. She is the last in her training group to not have it and seems to get further away from being close with every practice. Last year she started as a Level 3 and actually got moved to Level 2 because of, you guessed it, the ROBHS. Her level 2 season was amazing and she scored very high. She’s an energetic and precise competitor with zero fear of being in front of judges.

From what I can see, the coaches expect the RO to be perfect before adding the BHS part. But now she’s stuck in her head and I popped into practice to see what’s going on. Her RO looks worse than it did months ago.

She has complete routines for bars and beam and is moving from flat-back vault drills to landing on her feet. But I think that the ROBHS is going to stop her season before it even begins.

Do some gymnasts’ careers stop this early because they hit a skill they just cannot do? Is it possible that ROBHS is the outer limit of her ability, or can any athletic person learn it? I’m having trouble as a parent figuring out if this is where we should give her permission to stop or if this is where we double down on supporting her conviction that she’ll get it.

What do her coaches say? I have only seen one girl in our experience leave the sport due to not being able to get her BHS. She had some kind of issue with shoulder flexibility that made it really hard. I don't think it was an impossibility though, she just decided to try something different given how all the girls around her were advancing and she could not because of it.

Sometimes a move to Xcel can work. It takes the pressure and stress off as there are many ways to meet all the requirements. Some gyms are ok with just scratching an event or taking the deduction for not doing the skill (twice its value). I wouldn't compete level 2 again. It is probably time to have a conversation with the coaches about what they think the plan should be, what's realistic, and what would be best for your daughter.

If you post a video of her round off, maybe we can help. Generally we will say, just leave it to the coaches. It there may be something that the coaches are but seeing.

Yes, some gymnasts just can't tumble backwards and their journey ends at that level.

If she still wants to continue and her gym is willing have her spotted during competition, but you know what comes next? ROBHSBHS.

I'd say it depends if it's a technical issue or a fear of going backwards. In general the technical issue is easier to resolve. Backwards fear can be overcome, but it's a lot of work and tends to come back multiple times.

I'd say it depends if it's a technical issue or a fear of going backwards. In general the technical issue is easier to resolve. Backwards fear can be overcome, but it's a lot of work and tends to come back multiple times.

Definitely technical- backwards is her stronger direction for another sport.

I believe that any child with sufficient motivation can learn a robh. I agree that a private lesson would make sense in this situation. Also, xcel is a wonderful option because one missing skill doesn’t hold a gymnast back like it does in compulsory.

The mental aspect for many gymnasts is so tough. I thought for sure my DD's gym career was doomed her first year competing Xcel Silver in 5th grade because she was fearful of cartwheels. I couldn't see how she would be successful long term in the sport. Fast forward, she stayed in the sport until graduation and was even on a D3 team for a couple of years until an injury took her out. Her first year competing did reveal a huge aspect of her temperament - the fears, blocks, lapses in overall confidence were always part of her journey to some degree. My DD loved the sport though and she figured it out along the way. It was not easy and many times I questioned my sanity for allowing her to continue.

Just wanted to add that it took my daughter forever to get her ROBHS. She was the last one on her team to get it, but once she got it she did it beautifully. Competing Xcel took the pressure off, and she did do a few private lessons to help her confidence. I just kept telling her that she’ll get it when her mind and body are ready

XCEL is a great option. She can compete Silver easily without a BHS, but still progress on her other skills.

XCEL is a great option. She can compete Silver easily without a BHS, but still progress on her other skills.

We don’t have xcel at our gym, just in-house rec. Hopefully she will get it soon! I’ve scheduled a private and her coach says he feels confident that she’s progressing. Thank you all for the replies and advice!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News