MAG Coaches, what do you think about taking time off?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics
My son a 10 year old, just finished his second year of level 6. He is struggling right now with wanting to take some time off. Actually he goes back and forth wanting to quit and then loving it.

One issue is the time that gym takes (4 nights per week) and not getting to play with all the neighborhood kids because he has to go to the gym. The other issue is that, although he tears it up in the gym, he gets to meets and falls off stuff left and right, and he said he is tired of knowing he's good and then sucking in the meets. (his words not mine). He really loves gymnastics but right now I think he feels like since he's not winning it's not worth it. He has suggested taking a month off, but his coach feels this is not a good idea since it's hard for them to get back into it.

Also, we are toying with having him do a 3rd year of level 6, he is capable of level 7, but our thought is that he's young (will compete as an 11 year old next year) and if he could do a 3rd year where he has everything including bonuses mastered, maybe he could be more successful and it would boost his confidence.....but he is really against a 3rd year of level 6 saying even if he wins he won't feel good about it since it's his 3rd year....thoughts?

My 12 year old DD just took two months off gym, she just wanted a break and got knee issues at the same time. She has decided that comp gym is not for her. But last week she decided to go back to gym two days a week to an advanced rec class where she can work on her own skills at her own level. SHe was about a L5/6 and loved her new situation.

I am so glad I let her take a break, it really allowed her to see what she wants and to refocus. SHe lost no skills and is happy as now she knows it is what she wants.

The gymnastics life is not going to be like a normal kids life. He's gonna want to be like others, but he has to decide what is more important- being like everyone else-- or having the special talent of gymnastics. Before you win, yoou sometimes need to learn to lose. I had a period of time where i won a lot. But currently I dont see a 1st place on anything in site. It takes time and determination to win. If he truly does love it dont let him stop. Him stopping will only want to make him quit more especially since he is 10 years old he's around kids who have a lot more free time. About the level 7 thing. Let him/ make him do the next level. Okay so he's younger than everyone but he will get better much faster and learn new elements quicker. Plus if he does win something he will feel really good that he beat someone that is older than him.

I completely agree with tflipz.I think taking time off will make him not want to come back (which is ok if thats what he wants), But to me it seams like he is just frustrated right now. Also, if he told you that winning at level 6 would not satisfy him, then the only thing that will satisfy him is placing well at level 7, him being a younger age is just a bonus.

I totally agree that it would be hard for him to get back into it. I would say one of two things, either let him take the break knowing this may be it, he might quit and you and your son will have to be okay with this possible outcome. Or possibly drop down to a rec. class if they have one, as a kind of break kind of decision maker. That way gym isn't completly removed but he would have more time for outside things and can have the time to decide what he likes best. Also doing it for "fun" for a month might re ignite the spark he had for the sport. Whatever you decide good luck!

I feel for you right now daughter who just turned 11 is also going through this. She also had a tough year as 1st year level6 and has struggled with a lot of heel pain. One minute she loves gymnastics the next she is unsure if she could continue. She can not seem to make a decision and now that meet season is over I am not sure if I should make her commit to the summer. Well I finally got the head coach involved and she got out of her that she is in a lot of pain, instead of taking her out daughter and her agreed that she will condition and do bars for 2 weeks and then they would talk again.basically head ccoach wants me to stay out of it and let daughter decide. Before this came to a head I was also wondering what level daughter would do next year but now I just want daughter to decide whether she wants to continue or not. I do not think it should be based on what level because either they want to commit to the sport or not they are eventually going to move up and they are not always going to have good meets. It is really hard to know what to do hopefully your son can figure it out maybe a break would be healthy since he is requesting one( my daughter will not come out and tell me she needs a. Break. I actually think her head coach would be alright with her taking a break). Good luck and I hope he can figure out what he wants.

I think taking a break is far less harmful to boys than to girls, simply because flexibility doesn't play as large a role for boys as it does for girls.

We had similar experience at same age w/DS who has been doing gymnastics since he could walk ... without any break for 12 years! Then a series of events unfolded that had him questioning - for the first time - whether he wanted to continue. We did not push it but wanted to ensure he didn't make a decision he might later regret ("why did you let me quit gymnastics?!?"). We outlined all the options then left the decision to him. He decided he wanted to take a break while considering his options. We arranged for him to see a Sports therapist during his "hiatus". Several months later, he decided he wanted to go back ... and, his passion returned with a frenzy! Over the past few years, he has never once said, "I don't want to go to training". Peer pressure is not an issue because throughout his gymnastics training, he has always participated in other interests: hockey, soccer, baseball, music, chess, etc. If there is conflict between games & gym training, we decide what takes precedence ... gym if we are nearing competition, "other" if we are not. This has provided him with the balance he needs. Last week, a friend visited from out of country & he skipped training for it; next week, baseball game will take precedence over gym, as will exams. We have been able to manage "balance" until this past year when he has had to give up some extra-curriculars and next year more will have to be given up to concentrate on increased training hours. Academics is always first on the list regardless of anything. We know that being away from the gym for an entire week causes a sever setback in muscular tone, condiitioning, etc. This has rarely occured but an "occassional" night off of training for specific reasons somtimes only intensifies their passion ... balance is extremelly important at that young age. We have noticed that athletes at our gym who also pursue other interests appear more focused, happier & do better in competition than those whose life is only gymnastics; we have seem many quit the sport entirely at the top of their field -- so sad! This is solely based on our experience & observations.

looks to me like you got it down. it's the same all over.:)

not a coach, but a mom here. Mine wanted to quit (and I let her), but ended up taking an almost 6 month break. She did tumble during that time. She went back to the team, and hasn't looked back. However, I will say, she did not move up this year in levels. She was a little sad, but knew that would possibly be a consequence when deciding to come back. She lost some flexability and her vault--it was always her worst event. Could you let him skip occasionally during the week if he has a conflict? I didn't let my oldest dd miss very often, and although she loved the gym, she decieded the training hours were too much for her and headed to other activities. My youngest dd skips occasionally or leaves early for birthday parties, or other special events. It seems to work out fine as long as I let the coaches know that she will be leaving a little early. That way when they see me, she can head out without causing a disruption in the class. Good luck with your decision.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back