Competing at Nationals this weekend?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I know BG put up a post regarding the Europeans, saying they will show every junior GB performance on BGTV. I think it's possible that post might have been misconstrued.

I managed to watch the afternoon session on Saturday. Some lovely gymnastics and so nice to see the new requirements for real. The Birmingham girls were just gorgeous. There were also some standouts from London, Wales and the South.

Overall best pieces bars and beam. Lots of really nice routines especially on bars.
Poorest pieces - floor and vault. On floor the handspring series really showed up the weaker tumblers and there were lots of penalties (maybe for the spin and leap series?) but the top 5 routines were just beautiful. Vault ranged from barely getting to feet to amazing.
Range was generally poorer than I expected. Lots of issues with the bridge lift back up to handstand and I got the impression flexibility was down overall on the leg holds and handstand splits but I could be imagining that.

I think the standard will be much much higher next year as everyone settles into the new requirements.

Don't know what Sunday was like - @Frase can you fill us in. I noticed on the scores there were some very low beam scores. Wondered if that was due to falls, connections or something else?

We watched all day sat - sunday was spent eating chocolate at cadbury world!

I agree with everything you said Jenny. The west midlands girls artistry was just beautiful -especially beam and floor. I wonder if they are from the same club or if the water in birmingham is just special? Has given dd a great example of what she has to remember to do!

Morning session east girls looked strong - as expected.

Vault was interesting - as you said it ranged from the real spine rattler that we see often but also a good number of girls did it very well and it's actually a really impressive move when it is done well.

We were sitting with a few of the south mums (our dd's know each other) and apparently the girl who won their grades injured herself on Friday night and had to withdraw - how gutting would that be.

I also noticed a huge number of penalties on floor and found it difficult to work out what would constitute a penalty rather than an execution or difficulty deduction? There weren't any stepping out, forgotten routines, music synch issues etc.

A great but tiring day. Sat night was supposed to be our big night out - I was tucked up asleep by 10pm!

The West Mids girls are all from the same club. City of Birmingham. Really unusual to get a whole team to nationals - and then to win! Amazing and well deserved. Their artistry on floor was wonderful. That is sad about the girl from South I hadn't realised. They did well to medal without her. Strong region.

Anybody found level 3 you tube video showing the new requirements. Just curious after the v low beam scores on Sunday. I'll be going to the voluntary nationals in November. At our regional compulsories I was watching my DD not the other levels.

H
Anybody found level 3 you tube video showing the new requirements. Just curious after the v low beam scores on Sunday. I'll be going to the voluntary nationals in November. At our regional compulsories I was watching my DD not the other levels.
Have pm'd you a name to search for

Ooh whose that @Frase ?

You can find the details of compulsory levels on website - British gymnastics - they have all the levels on one document and it says the deductions for missed connections - I will see if I can find it

The level 3 beam scores were low but, from what I could tell (not being an expert), this didn't relate so much to falls as to strict marking on the details - form, splits and connections. Yes there were falls, but not excessive amounts. Lots of the routines were quite nervy and wobbly, which resulted in missed connections - the sequence which seemed to cause quite a lot of trouble was the front walkover-cartwheel-stretch jump. Quite a few dismounts which were more piked/tucked than straight.

It's quite a long routine, with quite a variety of skills, so lots of possible deductions for bent legs and loss of form and they seemed to apply them all. There was a lot of moaning about the beam scoring!

Bars scored quite well and there were some great routines. The highest scores didn't necessarily include the swing turns - some did them and some didn't but still scored well. Some very strong vaulters too.

Range was pretty much as I expected and the girls I know scored similar to in the regionals. Bweughhh.

From what I understand from the coaches, if a skill wasn't performed correctly there was a penalty for not completing a compulsory skills, plus the deductions for the execution. Double whammy.

The level 3 beam scores were low but, from what I could tell (not being an expert), this didn't relate so much to falls as to strict marking on the details - form, splits and connections. Yes there were falls, but not excessive amounts. Lots of the routines were quite nervy and wobbly, which resulted in missed connections - the sequence which seemed to cause quite a lot of trouble was the front walkover-cartwheel-stretch jump. Quite a few dismounts which were more piked/tucked than straight.

It's quite a long routine, with quite a variety of skills, so lots of possible deductions for bent legs and loss of form and they seemed to apply them all. There was a lot of moaning about the beam scoring!

Bars scored quite well and there were some great routines. The highest scores didn't necessarily include the swing turns - some did them and some didn't but still scored well. Some very strong vaulters too.

Range was pretty much as I expected and the girls I know scored similar to in the regionals. Bweughhh.

From what I understand from the coaches, if a skill wasn't performed correctly there was a penalty for not completing a compulsory skills, plus the deductions for the execution. Double whammy.

How did your dd do compared to her previous comps? Did you find the scoring more harsh, or about the same?

Must have been very exciting to be competing there. A pretty special experience for her, and you too.

Yes @Flossyduck how did you dd get on at compulsory 3? Was it any different from last year when she went for compulsory 4?

@chocolate how did you'd get on? Did she enjoy her first nationals? was it how she expected and was it hideously nerve wracking for mum?

You must both be very proud it is a tremendous achievement to even qualify.

I don't think the scoring was harsh, I just think it was applied strictly to the letter - all deductions taken. The beam and floor routines are longer, with more skills (especially beam), so more deductions.
Because it was the first year of the harder routines maybe some people thought the scoring might have been lenient, I don't know. We didn't expect that. Obviously they had to set the bar and the only way to do it fairly was to do it to the code.
So no complaints about the scoring itself, but when applied to the new routines it resulted in some lower scores. Although difficulty was up... so should have evened out. I actually can't remember if they seem low compared to last year - I'm not someone who spends any time looking and comparing scores tbh.

The other thing which might have affected how people responded to the scores was the BG score system. All the scores were posted up on the digital screens for everyone to see and just so you were sure which girl scored 3 on beam they had a little photo. It seemed quite fun and made it a big occasion at first, but then some found it quite an uncomfortable experience watching 9 year olds get some very low scores in such a public way.

The other thing which might have affected how people responded to the scores was the BG score system. All the scores were posted up on the digital screens for everyone to see and just so you were sure which girl scored 3 on beam they had a little photo. It seemed quite fun and made it a big occasion at first, but then some found it quite an uncomfortable experience watching 9 year olds get some very low scores in such a public way.
I'd never really thought about it like that. Our region always does the digital with photos thing at every grades and championships so it's what we know. But I guess if you are not used to it could be quite off putting. I find our coaches are quite good at positioning the girls so they don't see the boards.

I don't think the scoring was harsh, I just think it was applied strictly to the letter - all deductions taken. The beam and floor routines are longer, with more skills (especially beam), so more deductions.
Because it was the first year of the harder routines maybe some people thought the scoring might have been lenient, I don't know. We didn't expect that. Obviously they had to set the bar and the only way to do it fairly was to do it to the code.
So no complaints about the scoring itself, but when applied to the new routines it resulted in some lower scores. Although difficulty was up... so should have evened out. I actually can't remember if they seem low compared to last year - I'm not someone who spends any time looking and comparing scores tbh.

The other thing which might have affected how people responded to the scores was the BG score system. All the scores were posted up on the digital screens for everyone to see and just so you were sure which girl scored 3 on beam they had a little photo. It seemed quite fun and made it a big occasion at first, but then some found it quite an uncomfortable experience watching 9 year olds get some very low scores in such a public way.[/QUO

I agree - the beam scores were very low but they were only following the judging criteria - harsh though when girls are getting 6/7/8's and didn't fall off but there are so many connections in the routines and it is a much longer routine too - I don't think the beam scores were any different really at Nationals to Regionals - it has been tough to get good beam and floor scores this year. I think it is nice having the digital score boards - most coaches keep their girls away from seeing them and to be honest most are too busy to be looking at them - its just the parents that have to sit through it all!!

Leaps and spins were getting big deductions too

There was certainly a wider gap this year between the top 10 girls - it was so tight at the top last year - so Voluntaries will be interesting at the other end of the year

I agree - the beam scores were very low but they were only following the judging criteria - harsh though when girls are getting 6/7/8's and didn't fall off but there are so many connections in the routines and it is a much longer routine too - I don't think the beam scores were any different really at Nationals to Regionals - it has been tough to get good beam and floor scores this year. I think it is nice having the digital score boards - most coaches keep their girls away from seeing them and to be honest most are too busy to be looking at them - its just the parents that have to sit through it all!!
Leaps and spins were getting big deductions too
There was certainly a wider gap this year between the top 10 girls - it was so tight at the top last year - so Voluntaries will be interesting at the other end of the year

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back