WAG Competing with a dislocated wrist

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I want to share a cool story - so my teammate dislocated her wrist. She was out for the whole competition season, but she competed on floor and beam.

She did a RO back tuck with a one-handed RO, and a front tuck or ariel (I can't remember.)

On beam, she did a one handed cartwheel and a free forwards roll, and a front tuck dismount.

It was awesome. She actually won 2nd on floor and 5th on beam. I bet the judges were gaping :D It was obviously dislocated, it was immobilised in a cast and everything while she was competing. She even got the cast to match out leos.

As a parent this is the most horrendous idea ever.

If my child is injured I would never put them in a situation where they could injure themselves more. Nor would any adult in their right mind.

I would suggest that either
a) this is a gross exaggeration of her injury, or
b) the gym and her parents need a conversation with a child protection professional

If my child is injured I would never put them in a situation where they could injure themselves more. Nor would any adult in their right mind.

b) the gym and her parents need a conversation with a child protection professional
I think you're right. I didn't think of it that way. It was a while ago (like 3 or 4 years) and while she didn't have any problems at all, I checked the handbook, and they have updated their injury policy, so now you cannot compete with an injury. Thanks!

Also, while it might not have been the right choice, it came out kind of like this with much easier tumbling (the girl in the video has a rod in one arm)

The girl in that video is healed. She isn't in a cast. She just can't use that arm. But the arm itself is healed. Iwannabemargo is right. This is either an extremely exaggerated post, a complete lie, or an extreme issue that needs to be attended too.

The girl in that video is healed. She isn't in a cast. She just can't use that arm. But the arm itself is healed. Iwannabemargo is right. This is either an extremely exaggerated post, a complete lie, or an extreme issue that needs to be attended too.
Like I said, this was several years ago. The gym has changed their policy.

I saw a girl compete level 7 with a cast on her wrist last year, she appeared to have the cast because of a broken finger or fingers as those were casted too. It was pretty cool to watch her do the one handed skills but also as said above, very concerning because she could've gotten injured worse. The moral of the story here is that, competing with a cast is not the best idea but that it's possible for a healed gymnast to do these one handed skills if she can not put weight on her arm from say a rod being placed.

What is the gymnast achieving by competing modified routines while injured? After all - its just gymnastics and it is just another competition.

Thanks for reminding me of this.... I still wonder what the adults in this situation were thinking

What is the gymnast achieving by competing modified routines while injured? After all - its just gymnastics and it is just another competition.

Thanks for reminding me of this.... I still wonder what the adults in this situation were thinking

Okay... now that's insane. Why???? To do three cartwheels??? What did that do for the athlete other than cause some back hip and knee pain??

Okay... now that's insane. Why???? To do three cartwheels??? What did that do for the athlete other than cause some back hip and knee pain??
It was the state meet. By the looks of it it seems like this is her first year competing. She was probably super upset. Why would she do that, I ask, if she had no chance of winning?

In my kids' gym, the coaches will let them do a little more if they are casted than if they are in a soft brace or the like on the theory that the cast is more protective. But "a little more" is generally tumbl trak/trampoline, and they are supposed to stick to skills they have well in hand.

I can't really say anything here, as someone who continued to ride horses with a broken leg in a cast. I don't know if my mother realizes even today that I continued jumping after she dropped me off when no one was around to tell me no. All I can say in my own defense is that I was an idiot teenager.

I as a teenager competed in a cheer competition with an air cast and crutches. Just walked out on crutches and left them on the side of the floor until I was done. Looking back I can't believe my parents allowed it.

Maybe we should be careful of judging the adults in a situation in which we have no idea what went on behind closed doors, what conversations occurred with the child's physician, coaches, and such. I'd like to be just as outraged, but then I recall how we were all in awe of the gymnast who had her leg amputated due to cancer and how amazing it was she was competing. You have no idea where any child is in his or her healing process or what has or has not gone into making decisions. I would just caution us all to be cognizant of the rush to judgment.

It was the state meet. By the looks of it it seems like this is her first year competing. She was probably super upset. Why would she do that, I ask, if she had no chance of winning?

I'd argue the chance of winning isn't the only reason to compete. This may have been a compromise between the child wanting to compete and the adults involved saying here are the conditions of doing so. We can't tell from a 1 minute clip on youtube what was or wasn't going on or discussed.

No one should compete in a cast. End of. There are so many reasons why not. But really would you let a child compete while swinging a hammer in one hand? No? But accidentally bashing yourself with a cast in a moment of lost control could cause more or different injury. I am pretty sure you would not be insured under our BG insurance (thankfully). Nuts. I can't believe we are even discussing it. If the meet is so important to the kid let them march round and present at each piece with the team.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back