WAG Competing with supports

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

LGnyc

Proud Parent
Would love some guidance. This is the first year DD will need to compete with wrist supports. What are the rules regarding this?

For instance I have heard they need to be beige (is that true) -- but she uses Skids on beam and those are only in black as far as I know. Her EZ Wraps are beige so covered there. Will they be allowed?

We know about backup grips. Should she have back up supports? Both the ones for floor and for beam? Or is that unnecessary?

Any other advice? Thank you!

I don't believe that supports HAVE to be beige (I am assuming she is competing in the USAG JO system), however, I think that it is preferred if possible because it draws attention to the foot/hand/etc. I would ask your daughters coach to verify. You can always cover supports with beige athletic tape - I know girls who used to do this for meets so they wouldn't have to worry about any Velcro coming undone mid-routine (yes, I have seen this happen).

I would say if the wrist supports are not really expensive (I wore tiger paws and at about $50 a pair I was not going to have a back up pair) you could have a back up of one type just in case - but unless she leaves her gym stuff at the gym (in a cubby/locker) you shouldn't have to worry about that.

Good luck to your daughter this season!

Yes, she is JO. So we have the beige supports for floor and vault but you think the black Skids for beam are ok?

Will do on the extra pair and thank you for the feedback and best wishes. Much appreciated.

There is no rule in USAG JO or Xcel about the color of braces, tape, or wraps. Coaches might have preferences, but there is nothing in the Rules & Policies. NCAA, FIG, and other organizations (like AAU, USAIGC) might have different rules.

dd has used black mueller supports on beam for several years without any problem. She has needed ankle braces, which have been black as well. No problems. The only back up she has are her bar grips. The others just don't get the wear/tear as the grips. She had her first set of tiger paws for 7 or 8 years. The beam supports haven't lasted as long - maybe 3 years?

My daughter recently had her first meet. Tiger Paws beige. On beam, floor and vault. Not a problem.

Many girls at meet with variousl body parts wrapped. In black. Not a problem. For us we like close to skin tone. I just feel its less of a distraction

My daughter has competed in black Pegasus wrist guards on beam, floor, and vault for . . . let's see . . . five years? Never an issue.

As to the backups, I actually haven't thought about it. My son, who has the same mobile wrists and also does a lot of preconditioning, has been in Skidz now for three years. We don't have a backup pair, but we do try to keep an eye on them. They are a great product, but he does go through them. The stitching on the bands sometimes comes loose sooner than you'd think. At his age, he is old enough to understand the implications of "temporary delay in fulfilling your Amazon order," so he keeps close track of them.

Nude/beige is only required for elite competitions. Coaches can prefer that color but it isn't a requirement for JO.

THANK YOU ALL! I feel so much better reading all of your replies.
Much appreciated.

The Skids do look like they could wear out a bit or I could see my DD losing one, so I think I will have back ups to be safe.

Reactions: sce
My old coach preferred skin color because other colors can draw attention and at that time it was for my ankle, while my toe point wasnt great.

My new coach doesn't seem to bother; good thing because my knee brace, which the doctor recommended to ALWAYS wear as long as I do gym, is black with blue.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back