Parents competing?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Flip4funmom

Proud Parent
can someone please explain to me how competitions work? My son is only 4 1/2 but coaches say he is doing well and he wants to compete one day (wish I could share how well he did from today). I've brought it up briefly with his gym and they inform me 1) he is to young so don't worry and 2) we don't have much experience competing boys so we'll figure it out when needed. (is it a concern that they haven't competed boys before?) his coach is the gym owner and they've been learning L4 routines.

At 4 1/2 just enjoy it. Boys start competing at 6. If he is already learning the level 4 routines, he is on his way. That is great. Sounds like the coach is wanting to start competing boys, and for now, that is a great.. Do they have other boys there?

Welcome to cb and the wonderful world of men's gymnastics :) It is fun!

So they are just starting a program. Could be a great spot for a youngster. Does the coach seem committed? Is he learning and happy??

What do you mean how do competitions work? Sorry it is just a wide question.

I think if your gym does not have a boys team already, that is a concern if you and your son are looking forward to competing when he is 6, which is when boys may compete (is my current understanding.) If there is someone at the gym with a strong motivation who is actively working to develop a boys team, that is one thing. That may be fine. But if not, it may be that no program ever materializes.

Does your gym have a competitive girls team?

the gym itself is only about 3-4 years old. They compete girls but from what I can tell there is only a handful competing as of now. they do have a growing girls pre team however. my sons coach is very invested in the boys it seems, we've only been at the gym since July so we don't know anything different.

I think in that case, assuming this gym works for you in other ways, it probably makes sense to stay at this gym and see what happens. Your son has plenty of time.

If you want to learn about competing, I would suggest attend a level 4 or maybe 5 MAG gym meet in the area this season. It is hard to explain gym meets. Easier to just go and see if possible.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back