WAG Competition fees

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Holy cow! Our families are eating ramen noodles to pay the 1500. We do not have flights included though. I did launch some great booster club activities that raised $20,000 dollars this year. It helps... a couple of families paid off their comp fees and others got rid of 50-75% of it. Very worthwhile if people are motivated. We are going to be able to pay for new equipment this year too.

WOW! Care to share what you did for fundraising? I am the fundraiser chair for our booster club and would LOVE to make even half of what you made. Feel free to PM me.

The coaches are definitely paid - they don't do anything for nothing, not even for fundraisers!

I also know it costs the club money to send gymnasts and coaches to competitions, particularly internationals, because I heard them talking about it! Because it's a 'high performance centre' some of the coaches travel fees are covered by national subsidies for elite/olympic sport development programmes and there's a fundraising committe who raise a lot for the smaller comps and those for younger kids. Beyond that I've never really given it much thought until I realised what people on here are paying...

It really depends on the meets your gym is doing and what level they are doing. I know for us the magic number seems to be $100 per meet (not including coaches fees etc). We have 9 meets this season and I think its going to run between $1500 and $2500 for them. We have several out of state so I don't know what the additional coaches fees are going to be for that (thus the $1000 range difference). We have one we will need to pay air fare for in disney and it isn't cheap to get from the north to the south. We have 3 meets we will need to add the cost of our own transportation and hotels and food costs in to that too. new leo, warmup suit and practice leo was about $300. My DD is at the optional levels so there is more expense than at the compulsory levels. I think the more expense is also because there are just more gymnasts to spread those coaching fees etc over than at the optional levels.

What you posted sounds on the lower side of average.

For a little Ontario, Canada perspective... meet fees range from $75-$110, depending if they are Invitational, Provincial or National level girls.

Provincial level girls compete in 3 "qualifier" meets, then the top 32 in each level and age division compete at the Provincial Championships. We also do one invitational travel meet, to Montreal for Gymnix.

The Invitational level girls compete in 2 or 3 Invitationals and Gymnix if they have the skills.

National girls are a whole other ballgame, there are very few competition opportunities for them in Ontario, and it also depends if they are Pre-Novice or higher levels.

My dd is pre-novice and will compete at one invitational, Gymnix then Provincial Championships to qualify for Easterns.

But we are also competing Tumbling and Double Mini this year again as well so that adds 4 more competitions for that. :)

We do several out of state meets and some in state meets are far enough away that if you have the 8 am session, you need a hotel. Meet fees are around $700 for compulsories and $1200 for optionals. Our Parents Association pays for the coaches travel and the money the PA has is based on our one big fundraiser, a big invitational that we host which all families must help run. Leos $150ish and warmups about the same, but every two years.

We have about 30 athletes on our team, they pay per meet (approx. $55-$100) and then pay $250 in coaches fees. We typically only pay two coaches per session, assuming there are more than 5 athletes. However, there are three main coaches. A lot of times we end up volunteering for 1-3 sessions during the entire weekend. We also carpool to meets to keep costs down. Unfortunately we live in three different counties in two different states so sometimes carpooling is not a possibility...in that case only two of the coaches get paid for travel.

Team fees are split 50-50 between the booster club and the gym.

ETA: None of our meets are mandatory...so a family that doesn't have the $$ can choose to do less meets. The compulsories are doing a max of 9 meets this year + state. Optionals are doing a max of 7 meets + state.

Holy cow! When added to travel expenses for a couple of out-of-state meets, many of the fees quoted here would probably exceed the total annual tuition our gym charges for optionals. I guess I was naive in assuming that the tuition would be the bulk of the expenses. Good thing we are still a couple years away from competition.

We are about to move out of state and our comp fees are about to double. They might do 1 more meet, but I'm not sure. So it really does vary based on location and gym. I was just surprised by how much.

Holy cow! When added to travel expenses for a couple of out-of-state meets, many of the fees quoted here would probably exceed the total annual tuition our gym charges for optionals. I guess I was naive in assuming that the tuition would be the bulk of the expenses. Good thing we are still a couple years away from competition.

Monthly tuition is a whole different topic LOL!

We pay $550 in coaches fees, $680 for meet fees for the compulsories and $800 for Optionals. Our leos are $550 every two years. We usually go to 8-9 meets in a year and all of them require travel of at least 2 hours. We travel out of state 4 times so that our girls get a bit more competition. This doesn't include fees for Regionals, Nationals or state.

Our leos are $550 every two years.

Please tell me you mean leo and warmup are $550? $275 each for leo and warmup with lots of bling I could understand(still yikes, but I've seen it). But $550 just for the leo?

Last edited by a moderator:
Holy cow! Are all these meets in Beverly Hills??!! Our mmet and coaches fees for optionals are $900 a year. Our leos and bag are $320 this year and we use them 2 years. Why are your gyms getting such expensive leos? There are many companies and styles to choose from that are cost efficient and still beautiful.

We have 5 meets plus state, regionals, and nationals. Regionals and nationals are extra if you qualify. Travel is our own expense, so we can go as economically as we want. I usually forgo the host hotels unless they are a really good deal. I once stayed at Red Roof for $30, had free wifi, free parking, free breakfast, mini fridge, two queen beds, TV and bathroom, and every restaurant you can imagine within walking distance. The host hotel where everyone else stayed (quite pricy) had pay for parking, pay for wifi, no free breakfast, extra charge for mini fridge, no restauants nearby, tv, two queen beds, and a bathroom.

I just can't get over those expensive leos--are they made of gold? And our team parents complain about that!! Wow! I need to go lie down--reading those numbers gave me the shakes.

Please tell me you mean leo and warmup are $550? $275 each for leo and warmup with lots of bling I could understand(still yikes, but I've seen it). But $550 just for the leo?

Our leo's were 375 with a TON of bling, matching custom warmup was 165 (I think). They are very pretty but I could manage with less bling/less money, lol.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back