Parents Competition Fees

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Our gym does not provide an itemized breakdown, but we tell the parents that competition fees include meet entry, team entry, coaches gas and time, hotels if necessary, and per diem for meals.

The gym estimates these expenses, comes up with a number, and divides it into 12 equal payments that are added to tuition I think it’s about $700 per year. Honestly, I’m sure the gym estimates high (why wouldn’t they?) and they don’t provide any money back if expenses are lower, but I don’t think they’re turning a huge profit, either.

The gym is reasonable about providing a hotel if the sessions are randomly spread throughout the weekend, are early or late, etc., but the coaches also often choose not to spend the night and drive home to get back with their families.

In two other gyms I’ve been a part of, it was very clear that the lower levels paid for the higher levels. For example, I think they probably took a team of Level 2-10, estimated expenses for the year, and then divided yearly expenses equally among all team members. So, competition fees were about $1100 for levels 2-10. The 20 Level 2s that competed 5 meets all within an hour and a half of our gym were paying way more than their expenses were, and the 2 Level 10s that went to 2 flyaway meets plus regionals/nationals were paying way less. This was never explained to us. I was a little annoyed by this, but realized if my kid ever made it to a top level, it would be nice. I’m not sure it’s fair for the two level 10s to have to foot their bill entirely by themselves either, so....not sure what the best answer is for that.
our gym does this too and i don't have any issue with it. we absolutely paid regional fees even though none of our kids went to regionals (well, one lvl 7 did). this was explained to one person as the whole gym pays so the few families that make regionals don't get stuck covering the cost themselves but then when it's your kids turn and if they make regionals, then you are also not stuck paying the cost.
i see it like insurance. you pay into it so when you need it, if you need it, it's there.
i don't feel like there's good communication with comp fees. i had to hear the above information 4th hand. i hope they take the ruckus from this situation and communicate better and provide better accounting of the fees next year.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back