WAG Competition nerves... desperate

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

All Chalked Up

Coach
Gymnast
I have terrible competition nerves. Not just the normal ones either.

I throw up/get sick before the meet, sweat much more than normal, get very hot/run a fever, become very dizzy (I even fainted before my first meet), am shaky, trouble breathing and sometimes teary when normally I hardly ever cry. And that's before the meet has even begun!

It just worsens at the competition. I've been known to throw up before the event, compete, then run to the bathroom and throw up after I am finished the event.

I am so tired of this. I know I could compete so much better without all of that going on! This will be my fourth year competing and I will be doing Provincial 3 (level seven-ish). I don't know what to do.

If seeing a sports psychologist is an option, you might try that. If not, maybe try to find some instruction and/or books that might help you learn to calm/center yourself in stressful situations. Deep breathing exercises and/or visualization maybe? I know the CD or MP3 download you can get from the Doc Ali site (the only thing I could afford to buy off that site! ;) ) has lots of visualization exercises. Picturing yourself at the competition going through your routines (while being calm and focused) in the days/weeks leading up to each competition might be helpful. Have your coaches offered any suggestions? What have you tried so far? Oh, there are also these... http://www.bachflower.com/bach-rescue-pastilles/ I bought them for my DD when she was going through some stress-related issues in the gym. Not as bad as what you are describing, but still definitely threw us all for a loop since she's always been the most calm, easy-going kid you could meet. I don't know if they helped or not, but she liked the way the black currant ones tasted, and they didn't hurt. She did get over her issues and she does still keep a tin of these in her locker. I know others have recommended "Calmes Forte" (I think it's called). That's another herbal stress remedy. Definitely talk to your parents before you start taking anything, herbal/natural or not. You must love gymnastics a lot to put up with that kind of reaction to competition year after year and still stick with it! :)

I have thought about seeing a sports psychologist, but that's not really an option around here. Though I do think it would be beneficial.

I'll have to look into Doc. Ali. I've heard wonderful things on the CB about her. Does she have a website?

Visualisation doesn't seem to help me too much as I begin feeling anxious, like my pre-meet nerves. Happens with tests at school too, but more so with gymnastics. The only other thing I've done (coach's "suggestion") is take a Gravol before the meet to offset the puking and relax me... or fall asleep right before I compete.

Those "rescue drops" sound worth a try too! Couldn't hurt.

If you have seen my thread about my gym paired with this, you can see that I really, really love gymnastics :)

Find someone to to breathing and visualisation with you. A sports psychologist, a coach. If you know one, a hypnotist might help. Not that I believe in hypnosis necessarily:D, but I do think it has it's place in relaxation and learning to change your physical and mental response to a situation.

If you can't, try it yourself. every night in bed start at your toes, tighten the muscles, then relax and feel them sinking and heavy into your mattress. Then calves, then thighs, bum, until your whole body feels heavy and relaxed. The visualise yourself on competition day. Waking up- feeling happy and excited. Getting ready, doing your hair, thinking all the time about how much you look forward too competing and the happy way it makes you feel. Warming up- going through your stretches, feel your body confident and strong, feeling good. Warming routines, everything going well. Marching on, again thinking about how happy, relaxed and excited you are. Then think about each piece, visualise your routine in detail. Again, think about how good your body feels, how easy everything is. Feel yourself hit handstands and landings. How good does it feel after, to have done your routines well.

Visualise it enough and your brain will eventually believe it :).

That is what I try to do, but once I think "competition" or "routine" I get the sick-to-my-stomach feeling. Even when thinking about doing perfectly stuck routines, etc. I still get that feeling.

So frustrating!

http://www.docaliarnold.com

You may NEED to replicate that sick feeling in your visualization so that you can figure out how to deal with it. In the meet itself is not the ideal time to try to figure out what makes it go away, but if you can induce that same sensation in your room, you can try different things and see what helps.

Stop caring about what you've done to prepare, what you may be able to do, and how you'll feel when it's all done. Repeat the phrase...."It just doesn't matter" during the drive to the meet, and remind yourself during the meet by repeating that phrase.

Gymnastics should be something you do for yourself, and not something you do to yourself.

I'm so sorry you have to go through this. I am exactly the same way so I know how you feel.
One of my coaches always said no matter how anyone did the sun would still rise tomorrow. Our parents would still love us. She would still love us. Our teammates would still love us. Even if we had the absolute worst meet ever.
What really helped me though was thinking about in 20 years will I really care how well I did at level 8 states? No and no one else will either. When I thought about that I stressed a lot less about meets but unfortunately I still threw up. I would eat a pb&j and drink ginger ale before every meet and that would help settle my stomach a little bit. I'm so sorry you experience this. It's no fun! Good luck :)

coachp- read the PM, thanks a lot!

iwannacoach, gymgymgymnast- it does matter though? I work hard, very hard, and I want that to show through in my routines... I think it's my personality, as far as gymnastics is concerned I have a huge drive to perfect things, very competitive, very much a perfectionist. There are also very high expectations of me from my coach (unrealistic at times really). Thanks for advice, very appreciated!!

You could get some lavender baby lotion. It's 'bedtime' lotion for babies bc it's relaxing! But there is a huge difference between a fussy baby and a stressed gymnast. However, you may just need something to help break the mindset. So sorry!

You could try pure essential oils, some can be applied directly to the skin, others need to be mixed with water or a carrier oil like almond oil, jojoba oil, etc. We use one called Chill Pill by Aura Cacia. Plain lavender oil works, too. As well as Roman Chamomile. But the Chill Pill is a blend that is nice. We use it for anxiety and stress.

Nature gives us nerves to help us perform better, so they are good and necessary things to have. However, when they get to the extreme that you are describing, then there is a problem. If the fear isn't of a trick or the possibility of getting hurt, it's my belief that it comes from pressure from your coaches, parents, yourself, or a combination of them. I believe you alluded to a few above. The first thing you need to do is identify where you feel the pressure is coming from. You then need to explain to that person (yes, even if it's you) that you would feel better, and probably perform better, if you felt less pressure. I don't believe that anyone would deliberately want you being under that kind of pressure, and would probably work extra hard to see that it's removed as much as possible. You want to learn how to be your best friend, not your worst enemy in these situations. Life is one big competition, from sports, grades, mates, jobs, etc., so the sooner we learn the art of competition, the easier life becomes. As a side note, I would rather have a competitor such as yourself than one that goes, "oh, we have a meet today?" ;) Good luck to you, and remember, at the end of the day, we all do this because it's supposed to be fun! :)

coachp- read the PM, thanks a lot!

iwannacoach, gymgymgymnast- it does matter though? I work hard, very hard, and I want that to show through in my routines... I think it's my personality, as far as gymnastics is concerned I have a huge drive to perfect things, very competitive, very much a perfectionist. There are also very high expectations of me from my coach (unrealistic at times really). Thanks for advice, very appreciated!!

Of course it matters, but I'd suggest that you think of it as a cumulative proposition. Be as fierce and competitive as you can bear or want while training day after day with a little room for having fun.

The thing is, you can't have it all, nor can you do it all at every moment. There's a time and place for everything, and training is where you can afford to push yourself to have everything. Meets are something you have to trust to your training and ability to concentrate on what you've learned from your daily work. The reality is that you are as good as you are, and letting that come forth is most easily done when you reduce your value meets and let competition become a by-product of your training.

That is the frame I use to put competition into perspective, and that is why it just doesn't matter. Do it in the gym because nine times out of ten that's where your competitions are won or lost.

Maybe you can do it like that.... and maybe not, but you'll find that meets are much more fun and the results are better if you walk through the door with the attitude that your training has already determined the results, and you're just there to receive public acknowledgement of your hard work.

Acceptance is key, stop fighting it and just let it be there. Stand back in your mind and observe the symptoms, like a scientist studying a phenomenon. Scan your body and list each of the physical sensations you feel and observe them as merely uncomfortable physical sensations that might be unpleasant but can't hurt you. Give these sensations permission to be there but then visualise putting a lid over the top of them so that they stay down at a low level where they won't interfere with your concentration. Allow yourself to float above it. (Look up Dr. Claire Weekes for more information). Learning relaxation exercises could also help, for example, breathing exercises and progressive muscle relaxation.

To some degree nerves are good. It is that nervous feeling that competitions get which helps them to kick up their adrenalin to compete to their best. Don't look at your nerves as a completely bad thing, they are just a little out of control at the moment but once you get them under control some nerves will be an asset to you.

The biggest thing that helps us with competition nerves is actually to compete more. The more you do, the more relaxed and comfortable you will feel in the situation. For some people it takes only a few comps to get through the worst of the nerves but for other it takes many more. Enter every competition you have the chance to enter and every time you compete just think about how you are now getting one step closer to dealing with this challenge.

It can help to simulate a competition situation at training. During competition season some gyms set aside one training day a week to be a mock competition. The gymnasts go through a full competition warm up, and compete each apparatus. Even beings cored by their coaches. The coaches then give the feedback in areas where they could improve, this helps the girls to get used to the pressure situation of a competition.

Take every chance you can't o perform in front of people in any way you can. Not just in gymnastics, join the debating team at school, enter the talent show. Use every chance to get used to performing you can.

Try to look at the big picture, sure every competition matters to you and you want to do your best but every competition is just a stepping stone on the way to bigger goals. When you compete focus on your long term goals rather than the immediate situation, that can help to take the pressure off. Remind yourself how this competition will be a step towards your bigger goals. What happens on that one day is not the be all and end all of your gymnastics career.

Block negative thoughts, pay attention to what you are thinking about before and during the competition. Police yourself a little bit and if you find yourself thinking negatively then have a positive thought which you immediately replace it with. Think about what you are going to do right and not what you think you might do wrong.

Visualise a lot, every morning and every night. Visualise yourself confidentlY walking to each apparatus and competing.

I know it's easier said then done but I think you have to control your anxiety and then use it to your advantage...when I was much younger I used to play competitive pool (8 ball and 9 ball). I would usually come in last place in all my tournaments because of the anxiety I would get, especially shaky hands which doesn't bode well in pool. I basically played in tournament after tournament, wasting my money until I starting using it to my advantage. I would focus more and began realizing that it actually helped me tune my surroundings out. I concentrated so hard that I began getting tunnel vision and used it to hone my intensity. Once I started doing this I began winning and actually became too relaxed after a while to my disadvantage and needed to get amped up otherwise I wouldn't play well. You will get past this. You need to let it help you, not over take you. Good luck

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back