Parents Competitive Cheer for a Former Gymnast?

• Thread starter standsonherhands
  • Start date

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

S

standsonherhands

My dd left gymnastics this winter, but is ready to do something exciting again. She was invited to a trampoline team, but she doesn't seem interested. She took a trial tumbling class at a cheer facility, and they offered her a placement on their team. She loved the class and definitely wants to tumble, but neither of us know enough about competitive cheer to make a good decision about joining a team. They said she would do a youth level 2 team (because she doesn't have any cheering experience), and that she would likely be the best tumbler on that squad (they would put her in a level 3/4 tumbling class). Does any one have any information on cheer? Thanks.

I am right with you here. My youngest quit gym and has tried out for a cheer team. She will be L2 or L3 Junior, depending on the numbers they have. She also will be the best tumbler, but has never cheered before.

I don't know anything about cheer, and the new club is all French so anything I can learn with you is good.

Thanks Bog,

Good luck to your youngest at cheer. My dd sounds like she is taking a tumbling class, trying volleyball, and playing soccer this fall. She is "taking it easy."

Nice for them to try new things. Mine is also hoping to get on the High School basketball team, high school begins at grade 7 here.

We shall have fun together. Baby Bog began her own pre cheer fitness plan today. She found it online and spent the last hour working out. First real workout since June!

My DD isn't in competitive cheer, yet. Lol. :) We live in Texas so it's only a matter of time. I did competitive cheer when I was growing up. It was a lot of fun, I learned a lot, and stayed in shape. I think it can be a great activity for kids and is definitely an area that they could get a college scholarship for, as I did. It can get very, very expensive. I remember several practice uniforms, 3 competition uniforms, shoes, bags, accessories, fees for choreographers, camps, and competition fees. And the uniforms and practice outfits changes every year. I remember my Mom getting slammed with around a $1,000 bill at the beginning of every season. It's a nice mixture of dance and tumbling. I absolutely loved stunting! However, as a parent it makes me nervous just because of the risk of injury. I think just like gymnastics, as long as they're practicing in a safe environment it's a small risk. The cheer team at our gym practices 2 days a week for the little ones and have 2 competitions a month from November-May. I say give it a try and see how it goes. Some of my best memories of growing up are from cheer. :)

My dd will be a base, def not flyer material. She is a great tumbler though. The fees for the year with uniform is $600, so massively cheaper than gym. no travel meets.I hear in the US cheer is a huge deal and very pricey.

Very pricey...
I spend $265 a month for 5 hours of practice, plus comp fees $500, choreography $250, gift fee $125, uniform/warmup $500. Then there are all the extras of admission fees, which can be up to $40 for a two day Nationals, parking fees ($10/a day), makeup, hair, practice clothes, shoes, food at comps, travel expenses, the list goes on.
We never started competing gymnastics so I don't know how it compares....

What is a gift fee??? Someone is making a whole heap of money down there in Texas!

Dbacksmom, I NEVER paid anything remotely like that for 12 hours a week of team gym!

A gift fee is the money we pay for the girl's to get gifts at each competition they go to...blankets, gift bags, ect. I am hoping the TAAF we will be doing is a bit cheaper then what we are paying now!

My girls did comp cheer for one year, when their old gym lost most of the cheer squad and the owner gave the gymnasts a chance to cheer for free (meaning no extra tuition but we had to pay for everything else). The only practiced about 4 hours/week. They went in as a level 4 team. Neither of my DD's really cared for it, especially the heavy makeup and noise of the competitions. When my oldest quit gymnastics, she didn't even mention wanting to try comp cheer. A few of her friends are on All Star cheering teams and they travel alot and costs are crazy high. My DD is currently taking an elite tumbling class and will be doing high school cheer.

A gift fee is the money we pay for the girl's to get gifts at each competition they go to...blankets, gift bags, ect. I am hoping the TAAF we will be doing is a bit cheaper then what we are paying now!

Wow the whole culture of getting things is a bit crazy eh. Surely mom paying for cheer is plenty eh???

I think ours is very low key. Only three or four comps and they are all within 90 minutes of home, four hours a week of training and no weekends for training. That'll be planty with the four hours of driving I'll have to do to get there there!!

When I cheered in high school we had to get each other gifts as well. One girl would be chosen for each pep rally and was expected to bring gifts for the entire varsity squad in addition to her JV "little sister." It can get expensive very fast. But it was fun :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back