compulsory confusion..!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

AbFab

Proud Parent
Hi..first post here!
My 6 yo DD has been in a competitive squad for a while now, (admittedly still don't seem to know enough about competitive gymnastics) and I have recently been told by coaches that she is on the 'compulsory track' and they are aiming for her to compete in Compulsory 5 next year. I've googled bits and pieces, and CB seems to be a great resource also, but not really sure what to expect. Some of the skills required sound incredibly difficult, and I don't know if she will have them by then..!

..Having said that, I am no coach! and I do trust their opinion, it just scares me a little.

Coaches have a parents evening coming up, and I was wondering if anyone could suggest any good questions I could/should be asking?

Thanks! :)

Hi
The skills for compulsory 5 vary from region to region so it depends where you are as to what you need.

Some regions do a lot of hours for compulsory 5 - near 20 a week others do much much less - under 15. That might be worth asking about.

Also might be worth asking about which competitions she might have next year and if they require a stay over. And the cost of competition leotards, etc etc she might need. Useful to know what you need to budget for.

As a coach I find it useful to share with the parents any reasons why I think the child might not make their target level. ie. the conditioning set will be hard for them, or bars, or she struggles with flexibility, nerves, timidness, work ethic, etc etc. Then discuss if there are ways to help with this. What can they do at home to help etc etc.

Parents really appreciate knowing this up front rather than a shock later down the line. So you might want to ask about that side of it.

Thanks! I have been told the hrs will go up in September, but not sure how much by..on 9/week at the moment. Will definitely ask about upcoming competitions and any potential difficulties or areas she might be struggling with.

Second what Jenny says. Also have a look at the Sticky thread on the UK forum, its where we have pieced together a summary of the UK system, which can be mind-blowingly confusing !

Finally, just to say if you have a coaches meeting you are already doing well info wise, normally getting any information is like getting blood out of a stone ( lovely CB coaches aside), and BG tend to regard it all as top secret, never to be divulged stuff.

If you are prepared to share your region, either publically or privately to one of the CB coaches here, they may be able to give you more info as the skills required can be very different. My county doesn't even compete Compulsory 5 !

hth

'Margo

I would just add that next March/April is a really long time away in gymnastics. The girls pick up new skills quickly at the lower levels. My daughter used to keep a diary and list her skills every 3 or 4 months and it was always surprising to look back at what seemed a short time ago and see how much she had progressed.

Welcome to chalkbucket.

Thanks for replies :) yes coaches seem very approachable, which is great. True, she has progressed immensely already. Just the thought of her doing giants on the strap bar unaided seems almost impossible to me! From what I can see, all the other skills (although hard) sound attainable within that time, but a lot of the bars stuff looks reeeeaally challenging!

Second what Jenny says. Also have a look at the Sticky thread on the UK forum, its where we have pieced together a summary of the UK system, which can be mind-blowingly confusing !

Finally, just to say if you have a coaches meeting you are already doing well info wise, normally getting any information is like getting blood out of a stone ( lovely CB coaches aside), and BG tend to regard it all as top secret, never to be divulged stuff.

If you are prepared to share your region, either publically or privately to one of the CB coaches here, they may be able to give you more info as the skills required can be very different. My county doesn't even compete Compulsory 5 !

hth

'Margo

Hi - what is the'sticky thread' and where is it? I would like to take a look.....

The one with the pin in it on top of this board, its titled "full spin on beam deductions" or similar. Its a bit rambling, mind you on here things can go off topic, but it does give a lot of info on the UK system.

I would just add that next March/April is a really long time away in gymnastics. The girls pick up new skills quickly at the lower levels. My daughter used to keep a diary and list her skills every 3 or 4 months and it was always surprising to look back at what seemed a short time ago and see how much she had progressed.

Welcome to chalkbucket.
I love that idea!!!

It was always helpful when she was struggling with a skill or feeling like things weren't progressing. It never failed to lift her spirits when she saw what she was doing just a few months ago and which skills she had been struggling with then and could now do in her sleep!
She hasn't written in it for a year or so because I think she's gained enough confidence to see the skills progression and to understand the timing between levels is how long she has to upgrade, but I looked at it yesterday after posting this and must remind myself to show her today. A year is a seriously long time!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back