Concussion? Please help IMMEDIATELY!!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Today on bars, I was attempting to let go later in my flyaway. I did a really fast giant, and tapped into my layout flyaway. I completely over-rotated and hit my feet right before my head, getting whip-lash and hitting my head on the mat pretty hard. The wind was knocked out of my momentarily, and I almost cried from the pain. I've never cried from a flyaway fall before. My head hurts now, and it feels like there is pressure on either side of my temples. About 20 min. later it felt like I really needed to pop my ears and that there was a lot of pressure around my head area. I got really tired and dizzy. I don't know what to do now. I think that I may have a concussion, but I'm not sure. Also, I've been close to throwing up in my mouth now. This happened about an hour and a half ago. I'm really scared. I don't want to die if I fall asleep on accident! Please help me and tell me what I should do!!!!!

-Lauren

You hit your head from a substantial fall. You should go to a doctor. Even if you didn't hurt your brain (and it sounds like you didn't lose consciousness...if you did I'm sure your coaches would have called paramedics), you do have a neck to worry about.

I'm REALLY tired. It's only 8:46. Usually I go to bed at 11. I'm freaked out. I didn't do anything special today either to make me more tired than usual.

someone please tell me that this kid has gone to the hospital...

Things have started to subside. My head doesn't hurt as much, and I'm not acting unusual as far as I know. I've been able to remember things, and I think that I almost threw up because I ate too much dinner... I think that I was freaking myself out for a while as well. Today my science teacher told our class about concussions and how dangerous they are. Also, my eyes are dilating well as well. As well, I think that I am understanding these things pretty well too. I'm still scared of going to sleep and dying. But also, my dad was a snowboarder, and he said that he had a lot of wrecks, and that he didn't think that I hit my head hard enough to have any brain trauma. And lastly, I never threw up.

Have you told your parents or gone to a doctor? I'm sorry you had such a rough fall, but you really need to get off of the computer and be seen by a doctor. I'm sure your parents would agree. Most larger cities have 24 hour walk in clinics, but if yours doesn't, there is always the ER. Please go and get checked out.

Definitely go get checked out. Even if you feel fine now, it's worth it to be sure, and to know what signs you need to look out for.

Head bonks ALWAYS need checking out by a doctor. A concusion is in fact brain bleeding and bruising, not something to mess with ever.

Things have started to subside. My head doesn't hurt as much, and I'm not acting unusual as far as I know. I've been able to remember things, and I think that I almost threw up because I ate too much dinner... I think that I was freaking myself out for a while as well. Today my science teacher told our class about concussions and how dangerous they are. Also, my eyes are dilating well as well. As well, I think that I am understanding these things pretty well too. I'm still scared of going to sleep and dying. But also, my dad was a snowboarder, and he said that he had a lot of wrecks, and that he didn't think that I hit my head hard enough to have any brain trauma. And lastly, I never threw up.

really...i have not hit my head recently and i just threw up. and you might wonder why i get the acidic attitude that i do.

p.s. to gymkatgirl: i'm certain that everyone here appreciates you letting everyone know what happened and then leaving us all to wonder whether or not "you died in your sleep". if you were my darling daughter...why i'd...to the moon alice...

Last edited by a moderator:
Concussions, no matter how slight, should always be taken seriously. I recently attended a course on Sports Injuries in Children (I am a Physical Therapist) and much of the course was dedicated to concussions. At the course, it was recommended that until ALL symptoms of concussion have been absent for several days (even a mild headache is a symptom) all sport activities should stop (running, jumping, flipping, handstands...)

It is during this time when you are showing symptoms that your brain is still undergoing a "chemical cascade" --which is the brain's reaction to trauma.

If you get another concussion while your brain is still in this "chemical cascade"--even a slight one-- the damage could be multiplied and even more serious.

Athletes should ALWAYS report concussion injuries to their coaches and parents so that appropriate care can be taken.

I hope that you went to see a doctor!!!

You only get one brain and you need it!!

I just wanted to add that my son was diagnosed with concussion the end of December. He was "tackled" by his college roommate, fell backwards and hit his head on his apartment floor. His fall was from a much shorter distance than yours...

He suffered from a "concussive syndrome" for about 3 weeks after that. Severe headaches that would come and go, vision disturbances, etc.

You NEED to be checked out. You should NOT do any sort of gymnastics until all symptoms have subsided and you have been cleared by a doctor.

To do otherwise, is plain foolishness.

I'M ALIVE! I'M ALIVE! Sorry for posting late, I pretty much went to bad after I posted my last message. My dad said that he checked on me about every hour to make sure that I was okay. I guess that means I'm okay now?

MMMmmm. Well I'm not for unnecessary radiation to the head, however, certainly you could have a slow bleed. My husband was hit by a car and had a clean CT scan that morning, but had double subdural hematomas and took months to be better. IF you have any further symptoms you need to get checked out IMMEDIATELY. Call your doctor's office and tell them what happened and get a list of the symptoms you need to watch out for.

MMMmmm. Well I'm not for unnecessary radiation to the head, however, certainly you could have a slow bleed. My husband was hit by a car and had a clean CT scan that morning, but had double subdural hematomas and took months to be better. IF you have any further symptoms you need to get checked out IMMEDIATELY. Call your doctor's office and tell them what happened and get a list of the symptoms you need to watch out for.

I'll remember to keep that in mind. My grandma lives in my house, and she knows what concussions look like (my cousin had one, she had one, my uncle had two), and she said that I didn't have anything too serious. But I'm being careful, and if anything odd starts happening, and there is any chance that I could have a concussion my dad said that he'll take me to the hospital.

Not all head injuries are created equal.

Waiting till you show signs and symptoms that a lay person (read this as: someone who isn't testing your pupillary and other subtle reflexes frequently & with a trained eye) will notice, if you do have an injury, is a good way to end up with problems later. If it was bad enough to check on you all night, bad enough to scare half the gymnastics internet, it's certainly bad enough to go to a doctor.

Signed,
I spend too much time at the neurologist's office

I'll remember to keep that in mind. My grandma lives in my house, and she knows what concussions look like (my cousin had one, she had one, my uncle had two), and she said that I didn't have anything too serious. But I'm being careful, and if anything odd starts happening, and there is any chance that I could have a concussion my dad said that he'll take me to the hospital.

I'm not a dr, but I think the question is not whether you have a concussion or not - but how severe is it? A mild concussion may produce nothing more than temporary sleepiness and headache. But I think you really need to rule out continued effects from possible ongoing swelling, etc. And remember that a 2nd even mild head knock can be incredibly dangerous - make sure your coach knows and be careful!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back