WAG Conditioning numbers - is this normal?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Kiwi

Coach
Proud Parent
Gymnast
Judge
DD says her coach makes her group do 100 box jumps, 150 tuck jumps, and 20 lengths of the floor for depth jumps. She also said that one day when one of them complained about the box jumps, the coach upped it to 150 for all of them. Is this normal? It seems like a lot to me. (Last week DD had a sore heel after the 100 box jumps, so I am worried about the prospect of an injury developing). What are the opinions of the experienced coaches here?

Are tuck jumps on a crash mat? If so yes normal amount box jumps could be excessive if not in sets (we normally do two sets of 1min getting at least 50 in both) the 20 rows seems excessive to me

Are they done in sets or all at once? Broken into sets as part of a cardio/plyo type circuit I feel like it could be reasonable (maybe like x number or x amount of seconds at each station then switch), take a short break then do the circuit again. And this would not be a daily thing, but part of a broader conditioning program. I don't find doing that many reps (of anything) in one go to be especially productive as kids get tired, start doing things incorrectly, or put themselves at greater risk for injury. I prefer lower numbers done correctly, and just doing more sets of low numbers if an area needs lots of work. But that's just me. Maybe one of the more experienced coaches will have some more scientific input.

It's conditioning, which is great for burning off some calories and making gymnasts hate you and do them with decreased power input over time. Also good if they need to burn calories and are chubbier.

But stupid for strength and power development.

Russian plyometrics ala Verkhovshansky is never done to that much volume.

They mostly tend to do them all in one go, I think. And they are not chubby! I'm worried about this heel. I've booked a physio appointment for DD to look into it. I'm hoping he'll recommend a reduced number of box jumps.

Try stepping down on the jumps versus jumping backwards and landing. Should help a bit.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back