WAG Could you theoretically put the bars close like in the '80s?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So, my teams "do whatever ya want!" meet is over for this year.

I'm sort of known for doing unique and cool skills.

Anyway, my coaches were joking about next year putting the bars closer together like in the '80s and doing skills like that. Theoretically, is that still legal? I think it would be so much fun to try it, and it's not like the meet counts anyway.

So, basically, is it allowed? or is there a minimum distance?

Like so:
hqdefault.jpg

Thanks!

You are allowed to adjust them to any setting designed by the manufacturer, so the bars lock into place. So, yes, you could set them like in this example.

Most likely could not put them that close on space savers or most meet set ups. You would need pretty long tensions to not lose stability. On longer tensions you can put them close enough to reach the high bar from standing on the low bar, but probably even taller gymnasts wouldn't be able to reach their hips. I'm judging from the bars being on 1 because I've put them there for drills before (not on a space saver set). You can put it past 1, but again, stability.

Not in Canada, we use the FIG settings for bars.

FIG settings are 130-180cm. So you can pull them a fair way in, and some small gymnastics nations have at worlds in the last ten years (can't remember who now). Of course most people try to set them at their max and use the +1 tolerance for a little extra.

While the close bar settings are neat to watch I am happy that we will probably never go back to that, having to adjust the bars for every gymnast is a pain.

Most likely could not put them that close on space savers or most meet set ups. You would need pretty long tensions to not lose stability. On longer tensions you can put them close enough to reach the high bar from standing on the low bar, but probably even taller gymnasts wouldn't be able to reach their hips. I'm judging from the bars being on 1 because I've put them there for drills before (not on a space saver set). You can put it past 1, but again, stability.
We have one set of bars set close enough for some of our girls to hold onto the high bar with their feet on the low bar to bump to front support. The other set lacks stability if they even try to get them that close.
The stability was what I thought might be the problem in getting them super close.
Maybe a pair of parallel bars with one set high and one set low???? At one point, our preschool classes used a set up like that for their bars :)

There is a proposal out currently that would limit the setting to 3 standard settings. I am hoping it does not get passed (as I and many do not agree with the proposed settings). So at this point I would not venture to far out of the normal settings.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back