Parents Crop tops and shorts

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

The optional girls wear athletic tank tops (they have certain colors for certain days) with the gym name embroidered on them with little black bar shorts during the summer (well, last summer they did, I haven't seen it this year). They were just as snug as a leotard. The compulsory girls don't.

They are worn by a lot at our gym. My DD has a set, they are made by Milano and in their gym catalogue so assumed they are for gymnasts. I can understand the spotting issue though now it has been pointed out. If the gymnast is more comfortable in them in summer then I understand, I used to run in crop top and shorts in summer to keep me cooler.

Our coach doesn't like them. We had one pre- teamer show up in the cropped shirt and shorts for practice. And while the coach didn't say anything, if all the girls started wearing them she would probably make a formal rule.

Very common in our new gym.(old gym no way, they had very strict rules). I am thinking it has spread from seeing the cheer girls and also some doing both sports. I will not allow dd because at this level of gym she is doing a lot of skills that require a spot and her belly to be on the bar(level 2/3). I told dd when she is a level 9 and has been in the gym for 8 hrs and it's 98 degrees outside then fine, but for now I think a leo is good enough. lol

Back in the 90's and early 00's they were very popular at our gym. Mmm crushed velour 2 pieces!
I'm not sure when it happened but at some point they became very hard to come by and their popularity fizzled out. We took this opportunity to ban them as the coaches weren't comfortable supporting gymnasts who were wearing them. It's not nice to support flesh and surely not nice for the gymnast to have red marks all over their midriff!
They appeared in the Milano catalogue again a year or so again and one of our gymnasts who wasn't aware of our rule had 3 for Christmas. She hasn't actually worn them very much.
We don't allow our boys to train topless either although they always moan that the boys at the elite club do!
I remember seeing 2 pieces on jag wear with long tops and shorts so no flesh on show. Can't imagine they would be too bad. It's the flesh I have issues with!

If I were spotting, I would not want my hand to touch sweaty, uncovered backs and stomachs. Yucky and slippery. I have no idea if they are allowed or not in our gym, but I have never seen anyone wear a two-piece anything. Plus, I do not allow any clothing that shows the midriff, not even swimsuits. This has always been the rule, and my kids don't even ask to wear that stuff, because they already know the answer :)

You tube has some videos of Colorado aerials girls working out in bar shorts and very close fitting athletic t-shirts. The shirts don't fly up when doing giants, and don't seem to be any more risky for spotting.

Plus, I do not allow any clothing that shows the midriff, not even swimsuits. This has always been the rule, and my kids don't even ask to wear that stuff, because they already know the answer :)
I have the same rule. My dd knows I don't even like the leos with a hole in the back.

I'm weird, I dislike crop tops and those little triangle bikini things on small girls, however pre-puberty mine have tended to just wear the bottoms of a 2 piece

My daughter loves the leos with the cut out backs in the summer. However, we don't do the 2 pieces. There is a little girl on the L2 club team that wears it to her tumbling class. But, her team coach told her she cannot wear it to team practice. I haven't seen anyone else in them. But, the cut out backs are fairly popular (and a lot of the girls have meet leos with the backs cut out from the last couple of years_.

My daughter loves the leos with the cut out backs in the summer. However, we don't do the 2 pieces. There is a little girl on the L2 club team that wears it to her tumbling class. But, her team coach told her she cannot wear it to team practice. I haven't seen anyone else in them. But, the cut out backs are fairly popular (and a lot of the girls have meet leos with the backs cut out from the last couple of years_.

I will let mine get away with a cut out back within reason. I mostly look for lower cut leos and age appropriate tops. If I can manage a leo that meets those two things, I will overlook a cutout back.

I am a no mid rif mom sorry I know that is old fashioned, but that would just be too much skin for me we have a boys program in our gym.

I'm guessing these aren't permitted in our current gym or the the trend hasn't hit. We are a no shorts over a leo gym so I would think this would fall the same way.

My DD was also in dance up until this past yr and she would wear the tight shorts and open back dance tops or dance tanks. Which looked appropriate to me.

My daughter does wear a 2 piece swimsuit. I'm ok with that because in order for her to wear it, I have to be a party to picking it out. Asked her once why only 2 piece ( bikini not tankini) and she said it always felt like she was swimming in a leo. Guess when you spend that much time in one it may feel that way.

Not sure what our new gym policies will be yet. But if I know my kiddo, it won't matter because a leo is what you wear to practice in her eyes.

Ummmm... I am struggling to think of a bar skill when done correctly that has the stomach on the bar.

Crop tops are common here, I am used to it now. They have pros and cons. Come on parents you are getting all upset about a child's stomach muscles showing, to me that just looks athletic. Not to mention they probably cover way more that that leotard you bought with growing room while your child wears no underwear...I'll take the bare midriffs over that any day, Yuck.

Ummmm... I am struggling to think of a bar skill when done correctly that has the stomach on the bar.

Crop tops are common here, I am used to it now. They have pros and cons. Come on parents you are getting all upset about a child's stomach muscles showing, to me that just looks athletic. Not to mention they probably cover way more that that leotard you bought with growing room while your child wears no underwear...I'll take the bare midriffs over that any day, Yuck.

The problem with the tummy on the bar, for my dd, is that she isn't doing the skills correctly yet, which is why her tummy is on the bar. I agree the crop top and shorts shouldn't be a big deal. I don't let dd because to me a leo is gymnastics attire. Trust me she is a no undie leo fits tight type of kid lol I have coached way to many preschool classes where kids have baggie leos! yikes!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back