WAG Crunch time!!! Vault!!! HELP PLEASE!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi guys! Okay bad news! I have my first meet in a week! And I need a vault! Been working front handspring front tucks but I don't know if I will have it in time. My coach thinks I could get a tsukahara in time... Are they hard to pick up?? I tried some in the summer and always landed really short of on my knees and they killed my ankles! Some help advice comments something please and thank you!

You want to compete a vault in a week that you haven't been working on.... Or have never yet tried? That would never fly at DDs gym. You would be competing a handspring vault with or without a twist (depending on what you could successfully do) and take the lower start value.

Just watching our girls working tsuks all summer and fall, I just cannot imagine picking up a tsuk in a week. I mean I know nothing about you as a gymnast but man, there seems to be a lot going on in that vault.

I really don't think a week is enough to learn a new vault as hard as a tsuk..especially as you said you haven't done them since summer and they weren't going so well then.

Past experience of mine... I was at a competition many years ago and was allowed to compete two vaults. First vault I did was a handspring and it went really well. My coach then told me to try a half on half off on for my next vault (I'd never done any preps let alone attempted it before). Needless to say I ended up running into the vault so got zero for that vault (luckily it was best vault to count). I didn't hurt myself luckily but I learnt that I couldn't take everything my coach said seriously :confused:

Even if you managed to land some this week I think it would be advisable to have time to consolidate it. I don't know about you but I'd feel under A LOT of pressure competing a vault I'd only learnt that week.

Hope you figure out a vault! Good luck with your meet :)

Well...... Taking into consideration that you have been working front handspring front, (meaning you are coming into the vault with great speed), I say raise the vault up one click and do some Tsuk blocking up onto a high mat stack landing with your arms up for a few days. Then take it to the pit and turn it piked, then back to drills etc... But I don't think you will or should even try to compete it in a week.... Be smart and safe and you could have the tsuk in a month if it comes natural to you and if you are over rotation them. In the mean time just compete a front handspring next week, better than a zero and better than an injury.
On a side note, I would love to see your handspring front. I teach all three families and have a few Front handspring fronts each year (I am a bit of a front vault junkie).

Hi guys! Okay bad news! I have my first meet in a week! And I need a vault! Been working front handspring front tucks but I don't know if I will have it in time. My coach thinks I could get a tsukahara in time... Are they hard to pick up?? I tried some in the summer and always landed really short of on my knees and they killed my ankles! Some help advice comments something please and thank you!
Are you kidding? I mean that sincerely, are you kidding? These vaults take years to develop properly, and they definitely don't fall under the category of 'kid tricks.' The last thing you want to do is land a Tsuk short, or you can pretty much kiss your ankles good bye. As for a hand front, like coachp, it's my vault of choice. Having said that, not being prepared properly can lead to some horrific 'problems.' As others have mentioned, do a safe vault that you are comfortable with. Don't worry about score, as I don't think you would score too good with those other vaults anyway, and you risk serious injury. Good luck and please be safe.

Just for a story on how competing a vault for a meet when it's not quite there yet is a bad idea..
Last year I competed a front handspring front at our 1st meet of the season. I didn't have it consistently onto my feet yet (most of the time I just landed on my butt). I begged and begged my coach to let me compete it since I had been working so hard on it so he let me. I did one front handspring to get the score and then did my front front. I landed on my heels and butt at about the same time and bounced right up to salute. My coach looked at me and asked if my neck was okay. I had whiplashed pretty bad so he was worried. 10 minutes later I was too dizzy to stand up and had to scratch bars and beam. Our trainer said it was a concussion. 6 days later after still not being able to get out of bed I went to the emergency room who referred me to a neurologist who diagnosed me with positional vertigo in both ears. I missed 2 weeks of school and 7 weeks of gym.

If I would've just competed my front handspring and taken an 8.5 instead of getting an 8.9 and waited a meet or two to compete the harder vault then I wouldn't have lost more then half of a season. Wasn't worth it.

Just for a story on how competing a vault for a meet when it's not quite there yet is a bad idea..
Last year I competed a front handspring front at our 1st meet of the season. I didn't have it consistently onto my feet yet (most of the time I just landed on my butt). I begged and begged my coach to let me compete it since I had been working so hard on it so he let me. I did one front handspring to get the score and then did my front front. I landed on my heels and butt at about the same time and bounced right up to salute. My coach looked at me and asked if my neck was okay. I had whiplashed pretty bad so he was worried. 10 minutes later I was too dizzy to stand up and had to scratch bars and beam. Our trainer said it was a concussion. 6 days later after still not being able to get out of bed I went to the emergency room who referred me to a neurologist who diagnosed me with positional vertigo in both ears. I missed 2 weeks of school and 7 weeks of gym.

If I would've just competed my front handspring and taken an 8.5 instead of getting an 8.9 and waited a meet or two to compete the harder vault then I wouldn't have lost more then half of a season. Wasn't worth it.
==

Yea that drives me crazy when someone competes the FHSF vault and are not even close to landing, it's bad for the knees and obviously from your experience other parts of the body.

Why do some coaches allow their gymnasts to compete something when they're not ready. I don't understand. A tsukahara can certainly not be learned in that short amount of time. It just can't be learned safely or correctly in a week. Also, gymnasts shouldn't be able to persuade their coach to let them compete a vault they can't land. These are real safety problems, and I'd expect for coaches to know this. It's not worth the risk. Stick with a front handspring.

Do a front handspring!
When I did yurchenkos I vaulted on 7 and the one meet we went to the vault only went up to 6. The meet director actually told me it wasn't legal for me to vault on 7 (1350) but that's another story. Anyway, I wanted to tsuk instead but my coach didn't let me because I hadn't done one in 3 years and I was so mad at her. But I ended up doing a front handspring full and had a much lower start value but when we saw a girl who tsuked to her face I was glad my coach was "mean."
It's not worth the risk of injury for one meet especially in the beginning of the season!!

In practice, move the board closer to the table (I'm guessing by what you described) Work the front-front since that is what you have worked on.
If you don't get it consistently, compete a front handspring.

Don't compete the front-front until you can land it safely and consistently. You have until early February to get it good enough to compete for a few meets before needing it to qualify for whatever post season you're hoping to have.

Don't force things to happen before they are ready.

a proficient front/front takes at least a year of experience once they begin landing on their feet in gym training. let's keep this in mind for the poster. :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back