WAG Cutting floor music

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Anyone know how to cut floor music? Is there a program I can download. I do have GarageBand on my computer, but don't know how to use it.
I want to get this YouTube version cut down to sound as close to the original as possible except only 1:15-1:20.
Thanks!

And apparently I can't upload a music file here?
Anyways, any input would be helpful.

Audacity is a free music editing program....however, you need to purchase the songs you use, not take them off YouTube. Hopefully that's what you planned to do?

I edited floor music a few months ago with Audacity. It did an awesome job. The process is easy, but can be tedious. Prepare to educate yourself (with the help menu and playing around) and spend several hours getting the job done. To make your edited file an mp3 in Audacity, you need to download the "lame" file, so the project can be coded as an mp3. Check Audacity's help files.

Ok I'll try Audacity but I was planning to use a YouTube version. I haven't had any luck with finding a version I can buy. I'd rather go that route if anyone knows where I can get it. It's an Irish dance piece called Breakout but I'm hoping to get it the same as the original.

Agreed with the Audacity recommendation.

A couple of suggestions when cutting with audacity:
1) The zoom function is your friend
2) cuts usually sound smoother if they happen right on a drum hit, or something else like that. The burst of noise can hide the clicks that sometimes result from cutting.
3) The zoom function is your friend.
4) Count the beats, try to keep the basic rhythm/time signature intact. It seems like a minor thing, but I can't even count how many times I've heard tracks cut mid-measure such that beats were missing, and the result is quite jarring. Keeping the rhythm as intact as possible will make it easier for the gymnast (not to mention the choreographer) to match the beat. It will also make it much easier on the ears when you spend several months hearing the track over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over.
5) Seriously, the zoom function is your best friend. It's worth taking the time to learn how to zoom in and out with just hotkeys.

Audacity is a free music editing program....however, you need to purchase the songs you use, not take them off YouTube. Hopefully that's what you planned to do?

Some of our girls have taken music right off youtube. Is that infringing on copyrights?

Some of our girls have taken music right off youtube. Is that infringing on copyrights?

Yes, and it's illegal (though unlikely to ever be enforced).

Here's how I see it: if you're going to be using the track for a season, you're getting a lot more than a couple bucks worth of value out of it. If you can find a way to legitimately purchase the track from the artist, you should do so.

That figures. ^^^^ Our inexperienced beam coach explicitly told girls to pick their floor music from floormusic.com, youtube, etc. Many girls found it easier to get music from youtube because it was cut already and that is what they submitted to our beam coach who accepted the music but asked them to cut just a few more seconds. We were going to do the same.

If a person purchases the music and cuts the music themselves and posts it on youtube for people to use, is that still illegal? Our former gym always provided us with music. So, this is all new to us. We now have to look for music and my daughter started her search on youtube.

I'm not actually sure. If Energym is around, he probably knows relevant copyright law better than I do.

Anyone know how to cut floor music? Is there a program I can download. I do have GarageBand on my computer, but don't know how to use it.
I want to get this YouTube version cut down to sound as close to the original as possible except only 1:15-1:20.
Thanks!

And apparently I can't upload a music file here?
Anyways, any input would be helpful.

On Garage band, you would have to first convert the you tube version to an mp3...
Open Garage Band... create new music project (and name it)... go to the control menu and switch to "Show Time in LCD"... then highlight the Grand Piano track on the window and go to the track menu and delete it.
Then you drag the mp3 file onto the screen to the 0:00 mark. If you double click it, it will give you a spot down below where you can "cut" the music. A dashed plus sign will allow you to highlight the part you want to cut. Then (if it was at the end, up in the top time bar, you can drag the end mark to the "new" end), you drag the pieces together (if you cut in the middle)... the scale can be zoomed to be sure you get them lined up exactly. At the end, make sure to set the new endpoint.

I imagine it is a very grey area on if simply buying the song on iTunes or Google play is sufficient. I would definitely say that if one person buys the song on iTunes, cuts it and then posts it on YouTube for people to download, that definitely is infringement. One person bought it for their own personal use. They can't legally post it for others to get for free (or to purchase from them). I say even using it after buying and cutting it yourself is a grey area because of the type of use. I can't buy a song on YouTube and then use it on my business site as background music. I have to purchase it for commercial use, which is MUCH more expensive. I figure that most likely you the parent can buy it on iTunes and your daughter can use it. But if say... The coach bought it on iTunes and then did choreography and had her team use it, that most likely would be infringement as the coach is part of a paid business.

I always viewed it as...if I legitimately purchased the song, whether from a floor music company, iTunes, Amazon, etc., I could legally use it. I don't think it's proper to use a song posted to YouTube, whether or not that person purchased it. But, it is true that it would not likely be enforced.

I have begun playing with GarageBand. It is hard to cut music and I discovered that I have a bad ear for it.

I imagine it is a very grey area on if simply buying the song on iTunes or Google play is sufficient. I would definitely say that if one person buys the song on iTunes, cuts it and then posts it on YouTube for people to download, that definitely is infringement. One person bought it for their own personal use. They can't legally post it for others to get for free (or to purchase from them). I say even using it after buying and cutting it yourself is a grey area because of the type of use. I can't buy a song on YouTube and then use it on my business site as background music. I have to purchase it for commercial use, which is MUCH more expensive. I figure that most likely you the parent can buy it on iTunes and your daughter can use it. But if say... The coach bought it on iTunes and then did choreography and had her team use it, that most likely would be infringement as the coach is part of a paid business.

I do not know what Floor music.com and energym needs to do to get the right to "convert" original music to purely instrumental for gymnastics use. I am assuming they buy that right from the original owner/composer/artist or label so they can eventually sell the "new piece" without any copyright violations. They obviously create it in a different form and thus become the original owners of that new form of music. And thus can sell that without infringing on any copyrights. So, if I purchase that "original" music from them, I feel I am not infringing on any copyrights. I agree more with quadqueen below. The music becomes mine legally. But I agree with you 2G1B that buying iTunes or google play is entirely for personal use. But buying iTunes and google play original music is not at issue here; or do they sell gymnastics music too?

I always viewed it as...if I legitimately purchased the song, whether from a floor music company, iTunes, Amazon, etc., I could legally use it. I don't think it's proper to use a song posted to YouTube, whether or not that person purchased it. But, it is true that it would not likely be enforced.

I have begun playing with GarageBand. It is hard to cut music and I discovered that I have a bad ear for it.
If you are having trouble, you need to set the zoom level in more. If you zoom tight enough, it becomes easier, lol.

I usually buy my songs and then cut them... but my brother (for his personal use... to keep himself awake 3rd shift) gets movies off you tube and converts them to mp3... then uses Garage Band to cut them to just the scenes he wants, lol. And then he saves them back to itunes and copies them to his mp3 player.

I do not know what Floor music.com and energym needs to do to get the right to "convert" original music to purely instrumental for gymnastics use. I am assuming they buy that right from the original owner/composer/artist or label so they can eventually sell the "new piece" without any copyright violations. They obviously create it in a different form and thus become the original owners of that new form of music. And thus can sell that without infringing on any copyrights. So, if I purchase that "original" music from them, I feel I am not infringing on any copyrights. I agree more with quadqueen below. The music becomes mine legally. But I agree with you 2G1B that buying iTunes or google play is entirely for personal use. But buying iTunes and google play original music is not at issue here; or do they sell gymnastics music too?

Well, iTunes, Google Play, Amazon, etc., don't sell what they call "gymnastics floor music," but there are tons of instrumental versions there which can be edited down with any of the audio editing programs, if you have a particular song in mind. I've done in for several songs, just to see if they would make good floor music. Most songs are only 99 cents-$1.99.

First, I mistyped. I meant to say I can't buy a song on iTunes and then use it on my website, not YouTube.

As for the rest, I would assume that a site like floor music.com has already purchased the rights to the songs that they sell. It is pretty obvious that the intent of the site is to provide music for use for floor routines. I was speaking more towards taking a song from YouTube and using it or cutting it more and using that.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back