Parents Daddy gets to be the crazy one for once!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

N

NGL780309

Since DD moved to her new gym there have been many little crazy parent dramas. I always tell her dad about these things and he tells me to just ignore them, stay away from the gym, don't involve myself in this petty stuff, don't waste my time even thinking about them etc. It's been things like parents getting bent out of shape because DD was moved up or saying she was only getting scores because she was cute etc. Little, but bothersome things when you have to hear them.

Well dad is gymdad this week and I've been staying home relaxing and it has been wonderful. He came home with DD last night and he was kind of mad. He was sitting in one of the parent areas and he doesn't know any of the parents, nor do they know him. This should remind people not to talk about someone when they aren't there because you never know who is within earshot! A group of parents, I don't know who though I can probably guess, were talking about our DD. They were saying that it is not fair that she is going to be "allowed" to compete Level 4 when she is with the Level 5 group. Why should their DD's have to compete against someone who is really a level above? And one dad said he had already complained to the owner about how unfair it was. I'm used to this kind of petty parent drama and it was so nice for once to see him being the one bent out of shape. I repeated to him all the things he told me about just ignoring them, don't make a big deal about nothing etc. He suddenly found his own advice not so comforting at the moment. He said he always thought I was exaggerating how crazy some of these people are, but now he sees what I'm talking about. It's nice to see him walk a mile in my shoes.

I'm glad he heard that and not me, though they probably wouldn't have said it if I were sitting within earshot. It's a good thing I don't know who said that. I mean in some ways I see their point, but in other ways they are so wrong. Should DD not be allowed to compete at all in their opinion? They know she isn't old enough to compete Level 5. She hasn't competed a season of Level 4. Except for 2 new level 4's, all the level 4's are 2nd year. They've competed a full season of Level 4 and my DD hasn't. So how is that unfair? And they get the benefit of working on Level 4 routines all the time. She only practices Level 5 routines. Doesn't that put them at an advantage really? Frankly I'm worried she'll forget the Level 4 routines and I'm especially worried that she won't be able to do the mill circle consistently after not practicing it for so many months.

I'm just glad he finally sees what kind of drama happens in the parent area when you are just trying to enjoy watching your child.

I think you file this in the: "People are dumb" file...

Too bad he had to hear that, but good in a sense that it validates what you have been saying.

On the side: why is she competing level 4? Seems like time that could be better spent working on L5/6 skills. Why not wait and compete 5? Or will it be another year or so? (I know nothing of when you compete) I vaguely remember reading where you were considering allowing her not to do L4. Or maybe I am attributing something thats not you. Too lazy to go back and look.

That conversation definitely goes in the crazy file considering your dd isn't eligible to compete anything higher than level 4! I could see their point if she were eligible for level 5 and was just sandbagging level 4, but since that isn't the case, do they expect her to not compete? Why would they complain only about your dd if there are a lot of level 4's repeating?

Definitely frustrating! I love it when my dh gets a taste of my every day!

Why is your dd competing Level 4? Just for competition experience? It isn't required and I wouldn't waste time or money on it! I'm sure she will enjoy the success and get good experience, but it doesn't sound like much fun going to a meet with parents who are against your dd, especially if you don't have to.

Jules

^^^ I felt that same way about DD when she first started out. So when her coaches gave us the option to compete or not compete, we went for the latter. DD really didn't miss anything. But I am betting on that you know best. Take it with a smile and realize that your DD must be doing something right if she is already being talked about! Life goes on!!

Wow, glad I've never been part of drama like that...but then again I dump and run & never stay for practices, too many years of too many hours and to many practices. Try the dump & run, ignorance is bliss, LOL

all i could think of reading the post was Jack Nicholson in One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest. :) maybe it's best your husband doesn't go back lest your next post makes me think of Jack in The Shining! redrum...redrum...redrum...:)

You need a team parent T shirt. It should read "You mind your children's progress. I'll mind mine."

Alternative design: "If you have enough time and energy to catalogue the performance of every child in the gym, you have enough time and energy for a second job or hobby."

I think you file this in the: "People are dumb" file...

Too bad he had to hear that, but good in a sense that it validates what you have been saying.

On the side: why is she competing level 4? Seems like time that could be better spent working on L5/6 skills. Why not wait and compete 5? Or will it be another year or so? (I know nothing of when you compete) I vaguely remember reading where you were considering allowing her not to do L4. Or maybe I am attributing something thats not you. Too lazy to go back and look.

Yes I was considering not having her compete at all and just waiting until she was old enough for Level 5, but ultimately she loves competing. She can't wait and is very excited. I didn't want her to have to be the only kid again that can't go to the meets. If she didn't want to compete, I'd have her just wait. Our season runs end of August until November. So she wouldn't be able to do Level 5 until next fall. That's a long wait. She can do a few invitationals in the spring of 2012 like she did this year, but that's not quite the same because only around 5 girls went out of the 25 on the team. The coaches would like for her to try a few Level 5 meets in the Spring and then train towards competing Level 6 next fall instead of Level 5. And if she's not ready, she'll just do Level 5 in the fall.

I must say I am so lucky with how wonderful everyone at our gym is....my daughter is one of the newer gymnasts there not beginning gymnastics until she almost 8. I think this is partially why she has done so well and is advancing so quickly because some of the girls have been doing it for years and I think some of the "fun" has already worn off. My daughter began competing last fall and her first season averaged around 5th AA which even then was higher than the other girls on our team. Because she was so new to competing, etc. she chose to compete one more season as a level 3 and did great. She has gotten 1st AA at the last 3 of 4 meets. Everyone on our team is so nice and supportive and when I found out they were moving her up to level 5 for the summer I was reluctant to say anything because I did not want to come across like I was bragging or saying she was better than the other girls who are moving up to 4. When I finally did mention it (first due to my car pool situation) everyone was so nice and said she is ready for it and will do well. I am so thankful to be in a gym where we all seem like family and everyone is cheering for everyone else!! Would be hard to be in your situation and cannot believe people would just talk about you out in the open like that. SO UNCOOL!!!

That conversation definitely goes in the crazy file considering your dd isn't eligible to compete anything higher than level 4! I could see their point if she were eligible for level 5 and was just sandbagging level 4, but since that isn't the case, do they expect her to not compete? Why would they complain only about your dd if there are a lot of level 4's repeating?

That was my thought too, do they expect she just shouldn't be allowed to compete? I'm sure it was the Level 4 repeaters parents that were doing the complaining. There are only 2 new level 4's and I've never seen their parents at the gym. They wouldn't even know my daughter, so really I doubt it was them. The dumbest part of it is that I don't think any of the other Level 4's will be in her age group anyway. DD is 6 and they are 8 and above. Last year the 8 year olds were Jr B's. And that was 2 girls that turned 8 in September and August. These 8 year olds are turning 9 during the season. Shouldn't they be glad to have another teammate who will probably bring in some decent scores for their team score? I have no idea how old the 2 new Level 4's are, but they will compete Achievement anyway. So in all likelyhood my DD will be in the Jr A age group by herself.

I must say I am so lucky with how wonderful everyone at our gym is....my daughter is one of the newer gymnasts there not beginning gymnastics until she almost 8. I think this is partially why she has done so well and is advancing so quickly because some of the girls have been doing it for years and I think some of the "fun" has already worn off. My daughter began competing last fall and her first season averaged around 5th AA which even then was higher than the other girls on our team. Because she was so new to competing, etc. she chose to compete one more season as a level 3 and did great. She has gotten 1st AA at the last 3 of 4 meets. Everyone on our team is so nice and supportive and when I found out they were moving her up to level 5 for the summer I was reluctant to say anything because I did not want to come across like I was bragging or saying she was better than the other girls who are moving up to 4. When I finally did mention it (first due to my car pool situation) everyone was so nice and said she is ready for it and will do well. I am so thankful to be in a gym where we all seem like family and everyone is cheering for everyone else!! Would be hard to be in your situation and cannot believe people would just talk about you out in the open like that. SO UNCOOL!!!

I have to say that we have some wonderful parents too. There are just a few bad seeds. In Level 4/5 there are probably about 30 girls total. The majority of those parents are really nice and supportive. I will never forget the day DD go her kip back. They were cheering for her and very excited. They really made a huge deal out of it. So you just try to avoid those that cause problems. One of the biggest drama mamas is the nicest one to your face.

You need a team parent T shirt. It should read "You mind your children's progress. I'll mind mine."

Alternative design: "If you have enough time and energy to catalogue the performance of every child in the gym, you have enough time and energy for a second job or hobby."

Good call. can you send me about 10 of these t -shirts? lol

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back