Parents Daughter is pushed from JO to excel

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

The bigger question is why are you/she is so upset about Xcel

I say this as a mom to a L8 gymnast who is 17 has some 9 skills but not enough for L9. She has recently moved from a DP only gym to DP/Xcel. Xcel would actually allow my kid to use all the skills she has. For her she has a “thing” about being DP. And a valid issue/concern I’d DP season ends early enough not to interfere with her varsity lacrosse season.

We are lucky in that she will drive the bus on what she does. But Xcel is not necessarily a bad thing.

And if you are going to bring up college gymnastics as a thing. 15 makes her a freshma/sophmore L7/8 when realistically for college she should be a 10 or strong 9 by now. Xcel might actually be a good fit for her.

From a gym perspective my bigger concern and huge red flag is they don’t want to speak with you about this and they implied L8 was the “thing” and walked it back

The bigger question is why are you/she is so upset about Xcel

I say this as a mom to a L8 gymnast who is 17 has some 9 skills but not enough for L9. She has recently moved from a DP only gym to DP/Xcel. Xcel would actually allow my kid to use all the skills she has. For her she has a “thing” about being DP. And a valid issue/concern I’d DP season ends early enough not to interfere with her varsity lacrosse season.

We are lucky in that she will drive the bus on what she does. But Xcel is not necessarily a bad thing.

And if you are going to bring up college gymnastics as a thing. 15 makes her a freshma/sophmore L7/8 when realistically for college she should be a 10 or strong 9 by now. Xcel might actually be a good fit for her.

From a gym perspective my bigger concern and huge red flag is they don’t want to speak with you about this and they implied L8 was the “thing” and walked it back
I think the main issue is that instead of meeting with everyone or thoroughly explaining what is going on, we got an email on Friday afternoon that just said that my daughter is no longer L8 while she was already registered for the L8 meets and began the fundraising. Plus when I reached out to the coaches I was just told that they would not meet with us to discuss it individually. This was done in the most unprofessional way, leaving our whole family under stress for the whole weekend.

I think the main issue is that instead of meeting with everyone or thoroughly explaining what is going on, we got an email on Friday afternoon that just said that my daughter is no longer L8 while she was already registered for the L8 meets and began the fundraising. Plus when I reached out to the coaches I was just told that they would not meet with us to discuss it individually. This was done in the most unprofessional way, leaving our whole family under stress for the whole weekend.
We came to this gym to get away from non-transparency and my daughter was tired of excel being pushed on her simply because she took longer to do skill well.

I’m so sorry you and your daughter are going through this. By refusing to speak to you, the coaches are showing themselves to be cruel and unprofessional. If they cared about your daughter, they would explain their reasoning to her. You don’t want your daughter to be coached by those people. Hopefully, the xcel coaches will care about your daughter and support her. Xcel is a good program. It’s awful that this is being forced on your daughter but it might turn out to be a positive change for her in the end.

I’m so sorry you and your daughter are going through this. By refusing to speak to you, the coaches are showing themselves to be cruel and unprofessional. If they cared about your daughter, they would explain their reasoning to her. You don’t want your daughter to be coached by those people. Hopefully, the xcel coaches will care about your daughter and support her. Xcel is a good program. It’s awful that this is being forced on your daughter but it might turn out to be a positive change for her in the end.
Could be they just want people in the room so nobody’s stories get mixed up. I’ve seen that with parents a couple times. Something else happened in that gym and it has nothing to do with the kid

Could be they just want people in the room so nobody’s stories get mixed up. I’ve seen that with parents a couple times. Something else happened in that gym and it has nothing to do with the kid
I interpreted the story to mean that they refused to meet with the athlete and parents or to discuss the decision at all.

Yes I said that was a red flag for me.

The thing that stands out to me as odd/frustrating is that they refused to meet with you to discuss the switch. I’d still wait until after the group meeting, everything may be revealed. Hopefully they give an explanation of placement, and are willing to talk after the group meeting. If you’ve been otherwise happy with this gym I’d try and give them the benefit of the doubt that they are trying to place each gymnast where they will be most successful. At your daughters age and skill level that very well may be xcel. And there’s nothing wrong with that at all!

I interpreted the story to mean that they refused to meet with the athlete and parents or to discuss the decision at all.
I will be reaching out again since we pay quite a bit for not having clear answers. If not, this will not be our home gym and we will have to figure out something else that will benefit our daughter's athletic career. I appreciate all the feedback here. Please share any questions that could be brought up at the meeting. Thank you!

Again, why is she/you so dead set against Xcel?
She has been a top gymnast for years now in JO, even if she won't be able to get to L10, she wants to complete her career as JO, and not excel. It is her sincere desire /dream. She wants to be with her teammates. She likes the challenge of JO versus just having a "good time" or getting medals.

She has been a top gymnast for years now in JO, even if she won't be able to get to L10, she wants to complete her career as JO, and not excel. It is her sincere desire /dream. She wants to be with her teammates. She likes the challenge of JO versus just having a "good time" or getting medals.
Odd Xcel is not designed for ”just” having a good time.

They can actually do the skills they do have, which may even be skills they can not do in a DP level because it’s not allowed.

So my kid has some L9 beam and floor skills that she can not compete in L8. Yet doesn’t have L9 bar and vault skills. She could do the skills she has in Xcel Diamond.

Now her gym trains all the optionals together no matter DP or Xcel.

She still feels she wants to compete DP and end her HS gymnastics career there. She also knows that means yet another season of Level 8. she will have the opportunity to compete her more advanced skills in HS, so that makes it OK for her. And she may also decide to do Diamond at some point. Her gym will let her make the decision

So your daughter might have to compete L7 for another season based on your gym requirements.

And as always when a gym no longer works for you and your kid it’s time to find one that does. We just had a gym change after 10 yrs. They simply were no longer the gym for us. If a gym is not open and willing to communicate with me and my kid. It’s not a gym we want to be a part of.

Given they took your money for L8. They should absolutely be having a conversation with you.

Odd Xcel is not designed for ”just” having a good time.

They can actually do the skills they do have, which may even be skills they can not do in a DP level because it’s not allowed.
Exactly! Some gyms might treat xcel differently, but at a lot of gyms it's a serious program, just an alternate path with less time and financial commitment and more flexibility in skills. My daughter was skeptical about xcel when asked to try it, but it ended up being the best thing for her and she didn't even want to consider going back to DP after a couple of weeks. Please don't assume xcel is fun and games or the equivalent of rec. Honestly, that's insulting

The only issue I see here is the lack of transparency/explanation. Hopefully the parent meeting will bring that.

Exactly! Some gyms might treat xcel differently, but at a lot of gyms it's a serious program, just an alternate path with less time and financial commitment and more flexibility in skills. My daughter was skeptical about xcel when asked to try it, but it ended up being the best thing for her and she didn't even want to consider going back to DP after a couple of weeks. Please don't assume xcel is fun and games or the equivalent of rec. Honestly, that's insulting

The only issue I see here is the lack of transparency/explanation. Hopefully the parent meeting will bring that.
I agree that the main issue is how it was handled, and I came here to seek some advice since nothing was explained to me and we were denied individual meeting. Unfortunately, the closest gym with an established USAG training is an hour away. I'm working on my Master's degree and will need another year before I can apply for a better job.

I agree that the main issue is how it was handled, and I came here to seek some advice since nothing was explained to me and we were denied individual meeting. Unfortunately, the closest gym with an established USAG training is an hour away. I'm working on my Master's degree and will need another year before I can apply for a better job.
Another question to ask at the meeting is why they won't speak to individual families when a meeting is requested because of a drastic change in the gymnast's level determination. I would also record the parent meeting and any subsequent private meeting they may agree to have with your family. That way there is no mis-remembering or getting stories confused.

If you don't get satisfactory answers, look into the gym an hour away. There may be girls who go there that are from your area. Carpooling might be possible.

Worst case, one year of xcel and reevaluate near the end. When you finish your degree you could look at moving closer to a usag gym if you can find employment nearby one. I'd look at it as trying something new for a year, not a demotion.

Floor: The last isolated salto or last salto connection must have at least an “A” valued salto element (A front or back tuck is an “A” valued salto), she is doing it but not consistently. Beam: she is doing all the skills but not consistently.
She is level 7 and not doing a front or back tuck consistently? How will she compete harder skills as a level 8? Isn't an A salto required from level 5 up?

And for what its worth, my daughter was a level 7 for 2 years through injury and has switched to XCEL Diamond. She is thriving and still progressing skills. She is hoping to go Sapphire after doing one more year of Diamond. She is training all L8 skills and some 9 skills, so XCEL isn't holding her back in any way, shape, or form.

Du
She is level 7 and not doing a front or back tuck consistently? How will she compete harder skills as a level 8? Isn't an A salto required from level 5 up?

And for what its worth, my daughter was a level 7 for 2 years through injury and has switched to XCEL Diamond. She is thriving and still progressing skills. She is hoping to go Sapphire after doing one more year of Diamond. She is training all L8 skills and some 9 skills, so XCEL isn't holding her back in any way, shape, or form.
I was confused about the skill description as well. Level 5s do two A saltos . I was wondering if maybe it needs to be different than the rest of the routine or if it's two connected saltos?

She has been a top gymnast for years now in JO,
She has been a top compulsory JO gymnast. Optional especially L8 and above is entirely a different beast. And your daughter is not there yet.

My daughter was a top (38) compulsory gymnast. She is a good optional gymnast. I love her to pieces and what she did in L3-5 really doesn’t matter. But then I knew that back then. We were never about top anything.

Things get very different at the higher levels. We were fortunate enough that my kid could compete where she was comfortable. For her that meant staying with her tribe and not scoring well because she was missing skills. She understood that.

And I’m sorry I feel like something is missing here. With the quick about face. From everyone including other parent. I find there are 3 sides to things. Yours, there, and what actually is.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back