Daughter wants more gymnastics--what would you do?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Are short girls really better at gymnastics through level 10, or do gyms make it so incredibly difficult for taller girls to get into the team system, that statistically the system warps toward the smaller girls and there is no real scientific validity to it? Is it true partly just because the system makes it be true?

Fascinating question, and one I've never thought of.

Totally disagree with the "team material" thing as well. Our Developmental Coaches truly believe (and have proved) that they can take average physical ability kids and turn them into Level 5 gymnasts given enough time and dedication (3 years of preteam). I know they like to get them young because it is easier to develop flexibility especially when they are younger. You do not have to be able to do the splits to enter the program. It is a goal that it emphasized with the kids from day 1. And the kids have to be able from a young age to endure being pushed on some if they are in the non flexible category. They have to have mental toughness, be able to handle long practices, pay attention, have discipline. Children that can who can't handle that aspect of it usually move out of the program of their own volition. Kids that want to work and are willing to follow the program. Some have to repeat a level of preteam. If they are willing to do that, they will get to be gym team members when the time is right.

Old gym had the team material attitude. Gym 2 does not, but requires alot more practice time in preteam than gym 1. Gym 1only want the ones who everything comes easy to them. Gym 2 works hard with different levels of talent to create a team.
Gym 2 has a better and bigger team. I'll take that kind over Gym 1 any day.

Sorry about my typos, my kids have one more day of spring break and keep interrupting!! I still say shop around.

Staying put for now?

So here is the update. If you find it silly that I am worrying so much about gym placement for a 5-year-old at the beginner levels, then please don't bother to read any further. :rolleyes:

My daughter went for a trial class/evaluation at another gym. They said she needed more work on some of her skills, but liked her attitude and ability to make corrections. I have no quibbles with this assessment. The kids in the rec classes at this gym seemed to be getting good instruction, and all looked stronger and had cleaner skills than the kids in our current gym's rec program. The class was run in an orderly fashion, and there didn't appear to be any time wasted or drama happening. However, something about the gym just didn't feel right. There were literally several dozen kids in a small facility, in several rec classes and at least two large team groups. There appeared to be a very well organized rotation schedule to ensure that each group got time on the equipment, but the kids in each group were crowded together on the equipment, which looked to be placed awfully close together. There was a good student-instructor ratio in the rec classes, but I had a hard time observing any coaching going on with the team groups. There was no observable communication between the staff and the parents. It just seemed, well, like a big noisy gymnastics factory. Moreover, this gym's preteam program is very small in relation to the size of the rec program that feeds it (reducing the odds of selection), and is already full for next year. To further complicate the decision, my daughter has finally started to make some real progress in her current class over the past couple of weeks, even though they don't consistently work on the same skills. The current gym is also more conveniently located, and fits our schedule better. Both gyms seemed about equally safe.

Our dilemma is whether to switch to the big unpleasant place where she would probably get better instruction in the rec program but where we are not terribly impressed with the developmental program, or to stick it out where we are, where the rec program is terribly loosey-goosey but where we like the looks of the developmental program. Chances of advancement to the developmental program within the next year are apparently slim in both places. Logic tells me that we should switch to the gym with the more rigorous rec program, given that she has little chance at preteam anywhere for at least another year, but for some reason it just doesn't feel right. So we are currently leaning towards sticking it out at the current gym through the end of the summer and just hoping for some kind of breakthrough. (Recent events have raised my hopes just a tiny bit.) We do plan to have a serious conversation with the rec coach about our daughter's goals, and to add a second weekly class during the summer. If she is still stuck in rec purgatory at the end of the summer, we may revisit the decision or try a third gym that is even farther away. I know it sounds crazy considering all the grousing I have done about the quality of instruction and the selection philosophy at the current gym.

I don't find it "silly" that you are worrying about gym placement for your 5-year-old, but I do think you need to let this ride out. She's 5. If she has potential for a team program, or pre-team, the coaches will let you know.....eventually. As far as picking which gym is better, go with your gut. I would tend to look at what they do with the older/upper level team kids to gauge success there. But, realize these are your goals for your daughter, which is ok. I wouldn't put too much stock in a 5-year-old's "goals", no offense to you or your daughter, but...

Really, if your DD is enjoying gymnastics, seems to be learning and progressing, and is in a safe, nurturing environment, let it be.

One more update

We stayed with the original gym, which is just starting to put together the groups for next year. Ordinarily, a kid my daughter's age would go to Level 1 preteam. The coach does not feel that my daughter has the strength she needs be successful in the Level 1 class at this point, so she is putting her in the preschool developmental class for 4- and 5-year-olds even though she will be in first grade and turn 6 during the year. This is the class that was originally mentioned as an option back when my daughter began rec classes in the fall, then taken off the table (to my endless frustration).

Although I'm a little disappointed that my daughter will not be able to do "real" preteam with her age group peers next year, I do have to concede that the girls I've seen move up to level 1 are much bigger and stronger than my daughter, who is about the size of an average 3-year-old. I am very happy that the gym is willing to work with her and give her some quality instruction while she develops at her own pace. And so the journey begins!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back