Daughter's first level 6 meet

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

my4buffaloes

Proud Parent
My daughter competed her first level 6 meet this weekend. I think she did fairly well, but level 6 is TOUGH! She hasn't scored in the 7's in 3 years, so it was quite a shock when her bars were a 7.9. she messed up her squat on among other things. her vault was also rough. She did her first one fine, but on her second vault she messed up her steps and hit the spring board wrong. She ended up landing on her back on the vault table and sliding to the ground. There was a collective gasp from the crowd, but then she stood up laughing it off and saluted the judges. I think she was embarrassed and a full day later her back still doesn't hurt, so I guess she is ok. Man, gymansts are tough. Here is her final tally.

beam - 9.025
floor - 8.6
vault - 8.425
bars - 7.9

all around was a 33.95 - quite a bit lower than any level 5 AA, but since she hasn't really been practicing the past 3 weeks due to a toe injury (vaulting!) and then an ankle injury (vaulting again!) I figure it is pretty good. What is with her and the vault anyway I wonder.

those scores look great for a first L6 meet. bars judging is very tough in L6. nice to pull a 9 out in the first mert too. glad she was not hurt on that vault, sounds likeit was scary!

Not a bad start! Mainly mid-8's and even a 9!!! Yes, that's one thing I need to remember as well, that in Level 6 the scoring is much, much different (stricter) than in Level 5. My DDs coach has said that and to the girls as well just to prepare them. The girls were use to getting 9.5s and higher!!! Well, it's harder to get that kind of score in level 6.

When is your DDs next meet? The nice thing about it is seeing their scores go up through the season. I think she has a good starting point from her first meet and from here on in (for the most part) her scores should only climb up from there.

We are next as my DD has her first Level 6 meet on the 16th. I'm anxious, excited and nervous as to how she'll stand up on her first meet. But great job to your DD! :)

Those are exceptional scores for her first level 6 meet and for it being so early in the season, those would be incredible level 6 scores at the end of the season! Bars is a tricky one and I'm sure with more practice she'll get that score up in no time, but a 7.9 is very respectable!
Sorry to hear about all the vault injuries, that event is so darn tricky! Glad she made it away from the meet unscathed and hope she gets those steps figured out! Sounds like she's off to a great start.

Awesome start to level 6! I'm cross fingers that my DD does anywhere near that the first meet. It's always amazing how the scores rise throughout the season. Sometimes I wonder if they're judging easier or if they're really that much better. :)

You can hear about how tough L6 is, but until you sit through that 1st meet you just don't know how tough it is. I remember my gymmie's 1st L6 meet and one of the moms leaning over and asking, "so apparently they don't use 9s in the scoring at L6." It was a shock to watch scores go up around the gym and see mainly mid 8s and below.
To the OP, your dd did great epescially breaking the 9 barrier on beam. I'm sending vault healthy faries her way for the rest of the year!

thanks, y'all. I was certainly prepared for the low scores, because I saw it some last year and knew several moms of the level 6 team. But, yes you don't realize how bad it really is until you sit through a meet and see numerous 6's, 7's and even a few 5's! The beam judges were by far the most lenient of the crew. Definitely hoping for improvement over the course of the year.

Level 6 IS hard!!! I remember being shocked at how low my DD's scores were, after seeing her score 36's at L5! She's off to a good start, those scores will only go up from here!! Congratulations to her for getting that first meet out of the way!

WTG to your DD. I dont know anything about L6 yet. But from what I have heard and read..its not an easy level. Sounds like she did a wonderful job.

Sounds like she had a pretty good meet to me! I bet you wlll see improvement as the season progresses. I remember seeing scores for our level 6 team last year and thinking that their scores were "low". I've heard the same thing about the judging- in fact, after compulsory states, one of the 6's on DD's moved on to level 7 a few months after State and scored much better than she had as a 6. She even qualified for Regionals as a 7 (3 months after having a so-so 6 state meet score wise). Good luck to your DD!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back