Parents Dd foot update...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Granny Smith

Proud Parent
Well, as those who have been following know I went to the Ortho back on Thursday for dd to get her cast off before we travelled to Texas this past weekend and when I got to the office the entire Ortho dept was closed down and they never cancelled the appt. I was flaming hot! :hot: So off to Texas we went with dd in a cast. (Side note - we had a great time, even if she didn't compete!)

Came back on Monday and we were at the Ortho's office yesterday. We had our fingers crossed for good news and I think everyone who knows us was sending positive thoughts our ways (thanks to many of you!) Well, the good news (and that would be the only good news) is that the cast is off and she is more than half way healed. That's where all the good ends. She is now in an air cast boot for 4 weeks. States is totally out of the picture. I asked if she could start PT, which the Dr. responded no. So, she will not even start PT for another 4 weeks. Dd goes back to the Ortho on 3/15 and at which time she should be eligible to start PT. Dr also mentioned that she will go out of the boot and into some kind of brace.

I can say that she had a pretty bad break, but also the location is what makes it even worse and is making the Dr. proceed with caution. The good news is that when her foot is competely healed it will be 100% healed and should not give her any problems, so it's worth doing what is necessary for her to get to that point. She has so much more gymnastics ahead of her and like I said to her that she doesn't want to deal with constant pain for the rest of her career, so we are doing what she is told to do by the Dr and are waiting it out.

Dd had her tears and pity party in the Dr's office and it just included me. Now she is over it and will head back to the gym on Thurs (the next practice) and continue to train what she can and focus on getting her 9 skills when time allows.

To brighten the moment, in the car I told her that the other 13 yr old L8's should be darn happy that she can't do States because she would of killed them. She did chuckle and said that I was right! Even though I am Mom, I do believe that this is true! ;)

Last edited:
I am so sorry to hear about 4 more weeks in a soft cast.

It is always hard to look down the long road sometimes. I guess that is what we as moms are for.

Tell DD she will be a hgue star but have to wait untill next year to do it.

Best wishes for more speedy healing!!

Glad they are making sure its healed good tho!
Its still cannot be easy for her to not be able to compete but it sure seems like she is handling it pretty good!!

Wow that must've been a nasty break. Poor kid, sometimes it must feel lik their world is falling in on them.

Better to heal fully and move on pain free than pushing through it and suffering forever.

She will bounce back quickly and with even more determination. Glad you had fun in Texas!

You are so right she has so much more gymnastics ahead of her but so hard for her at this moment. She is such a lovely gymnast that the world can wait a year to see her shining again.

Oh bummer!! You're right--it is just one season, but so hard for them anyway. Beth might be in the same position--she's not been able to do vault or floor yet as her foot just hurts too much and now she's sick, so she went home from practice early yesterday too!

Well, that certainly is not good news! :( They sure do fight through a lot don't they. Beth is even younger than my dd, she has even more time! ;) I am pulling for her and hoping that her pain subsides and she can get to floor & vault, but regardless she is already a winner in my book! :D

Dd's Ortho does expect her to start walking on her boot in due time. Dd tried to put her weight on her bum foot and she said it really hurt! Dh and I both said, well then don't do that (genius I know!)

She is putting slight weight on it when she walks and the goal is to have her walking on it by the weekend (Ortho said that not me). Problem is her ankle is really weak, so she needs a little time to build up to it.

She did love taking a shower last night without a cast and then she sat the rest of the night without the boot on while we watched the Olympics. These are just her small victories! ;)

Oh bummer!! You're right--it is just one season, but so hard for them anyway. Beth might be in the same position--she's not been able to do vault or floor yet as her foot just hurts too much and now she's sick, so she went home from practice early yesterday too!

We had a great time in Texas. Got a chance to meet kevchriswilli - very nice and her dd is such a little cutie who I thought had a wonderful meet. I can't wait to read her report - it's always fun to go meet a CBer! :D

Wow that must've been a nasty break. Poor kid, sometimes it must feel lik their world is falling in on them.

Better to heal fully and move on pain free than pushing through it and suffering forever.

She will bounce back quickly and with even more determination. Glad you had fun in Texas!

I hope she's feeling better soon. It is tough for her to miss the rest of her level 8 season, but at least she should be ready to go in time for summer training and level 9.

I'm just happy that she is healing well and, if everyone follows Dr's orders, will be back to 100% when this is all and over with!!!

She's a beautiful gymnast and will be back in proper form and grace in no time. I know this just seems like an eternity right now, but she's young enough that this won't hold her back! The hard thing will be making sure she does what she's supposed to do so she CAN get back to 100%!!!

Good luck!

That stinks but I agree with you about the other girls being lucky at States! Good luck with the training for level 9!

It was great meeting you also!!! But I want to know you are called Granny???lol... far from a Granny!!! :) I feel horrible for your DD!!! Hope the weeks fly by! Glad you had a great time here!! Too bad it was freezing!! We are suppose to hit upper 50's.. low 60's this week!

:)

We had a great time in Texas. Got a chance to meet kevchriswilli - very nice and her dd is such a little cutie who I thought had a wonderful meet. I can't wait to read her report - it's always fun to go meet a CBer! :D

It was great meeting you also!!! But I want to know you are called Granny???lol... far from a Granny!!!
:)

I met Granny last year in Chicago! Granny - you are such a lovely lady, not a Granny at all!

I am sorry to hear that DD isn't able to do any training right now. Tell her to hang in there, it will all be worth it in the end. She will be able to uptrain right away and then L9 here she comes!

Sorry to hear that your DD still has more time in her boot and stuff. That is tough. I hope she heals fully and I know she will be back out there shining just like she always has.

How fun to meet a fellow CBer! We have met fellow YouTuber's, but no fellow CBers yet. Someday I am sure!

Quickie update...

Dd walked on her foot yesterday for the 1st time in 4 weeks. She was in her air cast, but did it without crutches. She also went up and down stairs without her crutches, hopping or crawling - she was very proud of herself and had to call me over to watch her. The goal is to get to walking without crutches all the time, but must remain in the boot. Dr's orders not mine. ;)

She said it didn't hurt where the break was, but her ankle was sore. I told her to try to do a little more time without the crutches each day, but of course take it easy and not push it too much!

Ok, ok - the thing about my user name, it has nothing to do with age at all.... Granny Smith is my favorite kind of apple!!! :yummy: Random, I know... :p

GLad she's following Doctor's orders... and even happier she's getting to go w/o the crutches! I know what a PITA those things can be for anyone who has to use them!!

.... on the side note.... I always wondered if you were really a "granny"!!! HA HA HA HA!!! Glad to know how you got your name!

I wondered about the granny thing as well, but figured out from your posts that is had to do with apples, not age. :)

I'm so glad that there are improvements little by little, and, most of all, that the injury will have time to heal so that your dd will be fully recuperated. Imagine how excited and motivated she will be when she can finally get back to gym completely! :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back