Parents DD is new level 8. Bars are the enemy.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

smidgie

Proud Parent
DD has always struggled with bars. She just got her pirouette, but its hit or miss. Her confidence is down (as it is at the beginning of every season). Her coach knows she can do it and so do I. How do I get her to realize she can do it, too?

Show her video of her doing something that wasn't so good and then when it was. Remind of things like when 2 + 2 was hard and she had to use her fingers. Things like that.

My daughter and I watch her ugly cartwheels that she was so darn proud of when she was 3.5. Or how long her kip took or BHS on the beam that she is doing now at meets. And we talk about how she used to say she "stunk" at math because multiplication was hard and now it's not.

And then I ask her how do you get better at something. And she smirks or eye rolls or both and says practice.

We've turned self doubt into a mantra... remember when you struggled with x skill- right back to level 3- & then you got it? And the next skill at level 4 etc Remember - Trust the process- you will get it! Then on to some positives:):)
Both gymies are really good at this now - it's nearly a game but the sameness of repeating the story is reassuring in itself.
Good luck:)

Remind her that it takes time... you have to earn confidence by success - put in the time and the numbers! Set mini goals of I'm going to make x pirouettes each time I train them and then change the goals to I'm going to make x number in a row to I'm going to make more in a row, etc! Confidence isn't something you can buy at Target (although my husband says I buy everything at Target, but I digress).

Good luck!

Remind her that everyone has their areas of strength. My dd is lv 8 as well, and is very strong on bars, but still struggles with a full on floor. So, every gymnast has a strength and a weakness! Celebrate her strengths, allow her to set reasonable goals for her weaknesses. And remind her that state isn't until April (in most regions) so she has plenty of time! It's a marathon, not a sprint!

Best wishes!!

DD has always struggled with bars. She just got her pirouette, but its hit or miss. Her confidence is down (as it is at the beginning of every season). Her coach knows she can do it and so do I. How do I get her to realize she can do it, too?

if it helps, look up some of the top collegiate and elite gymnasts and point out to her that the majority were horrible at bars (relative to their other scores) early on... I think it just takes longer to mature on bars...

Ashton Locklear first year level 10: 7.8, 7.450, 7.850, 8.50
Simone Biles 1st year level 10: 8.550, 8.350, 8.825, 9.050, 8.1, 8.050
Laurie Hernandez: 8.7, 8.325
Regan Smith, level 9: 8.250, 8.40, 8.150. level 10: 6.975, 8.525, 8.90, 8.8525

if it helps, look up some of the top collegiate and elite gymnasts and point out to her that the majority were horrible at bars (relative to their other scores) early on... I think it just takes longer to mature on bars...

Love it. Its all about perspective and hard work.

my dd who is a level 8 this year , she used to be bars were her best event till this season , now she cannot do her pirouette but can do all the other skills, so she is taking a lower start value on bars.

That is brilliant perspective. I'm using that for my dd on L7.

My DD is a first year level 8 too. We've had 3 meets. Bars has been a disaster every time. No advice, just know you are not alone.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back