Parents Dd5 wants to quit, so she says

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Dd 5 is on the developmental team. She got bumped up to hour and a half twice a week at the beginning of summer. She's been going an hour twice a week over a year now. She has started saying she doesn't want to go because it's hard work, makin her tired, or she wants to stay home because she thinks she's missing something. I talked to her coach's last month about going once a week, but they are forcing everyone at her level to come twice (understandable).
The last few classes, I've had to force her out there. As soon as her feet hit the floor she's all smiles! What on earth is going on with this kid? I don't want to let her quit because she's being lazy. If she truly doesn't want to be there that's different. But goodness she's only five and I don't know if I should let her decide.

When she found out I was talking to her coach about her quitting or going once a week she suddenly changed her tune saying "I don't want to quit". She sorta made me look like a CGM.

I can say that this is a conditioning first gym and they've been working hard. She struggles with the rope and pullovers which others are getting easily. I don't know what to do!!

See what happens if you get rid of a few of those "somethings" she thinks she's going to miss at home if she goes to the gym.

What about switching her to rec classes for a few months? They tend to focus on the more fun aspect of gym, and not as much conditioning etc. I considered doing this for my little one in the beginning, but it was more because she really missed her rec coach after moving to pre-team. When her rec coach started coaching pre-team as well, it solved that problem. I like that my little one's on pre-team, and how much she's learning. You probably do too. But it might put the fun back in it for her, and she can work on those skills without feeling behind. I'm not sure how your gym does it, but would they let her move back to pre-team when she was ready? There's a girl on DD's preteam who has a hard time starting class, but once she's out there she's fine. It's tough, and I know her mom gets a little frustrated too. Also, I think the CGM's want their kids to go more, not less. I bet you didn't sound too crazy. ;-)

The best advice I have heard is... ask her if there is a skill she wished she could do. WHen she tells you what it is, then say "after you have learned that skill then you can look for another sport you will like. In the meantime, lets end on a good note and learn the skill you want to learn to do before we quit gymnastics." I have heard they usually want to stay once they get a new skill and the problem solves itself:)

My DD was about the same last year when she was 5. She was progressing pretty quickly and I think ended up being too many changes for her in a short time. The hardest was moving from 1 hour twice a week to 2 hours twice a week and much more conditioning and a new group of girls. It took about 2 months to really get adjusted to the new schedule. She was asking to quit just about every week. Then she also ended up getting quite sick and missed a few weeks. I think at that point, she realized how much she liked it and I haven't heard a complaint since. I do go out of my way to make sure she doesn't miss anything because of gym if I can help it. Anyway, I think maturity has something to do with it, she has matured a lot in the last year, a huge difference, and they do take time to adjust. Also if your DD needs a break, it worked out for us, even if it wasn't my choice, her forced time off was probably the best thing for my DD at the time.

Often it is something very small, that as an adult you may not have noticed. I once had a brother and sister who were involved and the brother was very good and dedicated but the sister was not motivated and quit early on. Then one day all of a sudden the boy said he wanted to quit. As it turns out the sister was given a bag of candy to munch on one day while he was training, so the automatic assumption was that he was missing out on the good things in life.

the roller coaster ride of gymnastics starts now...hang on mom! LOL.:)

the roller coaster ride of gymnastics starts now...hang on mom! LOL.:)

I had a whole reply and lost it. Ugh. It boiled down to me realizing that she has had a LOT of coaches filling in here and there because of summer. Maybe all that transition was bothering her! I do agree that maturity plays a part too. She is quite immature but has progressed so much over the summer!

My DD started on pre-team last year and everything was ok at the beginning and then started to dislike gym. It wasn't fun for her anymore, and even though she was one of the strongest in the group, I think she felt like she was struggling with the new skills they were trying to learn. There also wasn't a regular schedule on pre-team, they did new and different things all the time and for a 4/5 year old I think it was overwhelming. She never knew what to expect. We took the route of moving back to rec. She loves it now and is progressing very well. The struggle she has now is that she is a 5 year old in the second level of advanced beginners, with mostly 6-9 year olds....but it is what it is. I try to explain it is about the skills you can do, not how old you are but that is a difficult concept for a 5 year old. I don't know if she will ever go back to the team path, it's really up to her now to decide if that is something she wants to do.

my 6 year old went through a wanting to quit phase. she said she didn't like coming out of gym and it was dark outside. felt like her day was over. We switched gyms (long story there) and she was happier with the new pre team's fewer hours for a few months. switched gyms again, now she has longer hours than ever before but it doesn't bother her. good group of girls, and a good coach who understands you have tomake it fun when dealing with little kids. now she never asks to quit.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back