DD's meet this weekend!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

UnoMas

Proud Parent
I would LOVE some good luck for my older DD's meet this weekend. The last meet she had was in November and she had a scary fall right on to her head from the high bar (bars was her first event). I am very, very nervous about watching her on the bars. I'm not sure I'll be able to.:eek:

Anyway, please send DD some good luck. With the fall and some issues on vault, she did not score very well in the AA at the last meet and so she is "behind" many of her teammates. She had a high 33AA last meet and needs a 36AA to move up to L6. I know gym is a marathon, I know, I really do, but she's going to have a rough time if she has to repeat L5 while most of her teammates move up. She's been with many of the girls since L2. :rolleyes: She has really nice skills and routines (when she doesn't fall off the bars) except for vault. There, she struggles. However, she really believes that she can get that 36!!

I really think she could use some good luck if anyone has any that they could send her way! Thanks for reading. She competes Sunday late afternoon...just a few days away and I am nervous already!

I know all to well what it is like to watch and be so nervous. I usually hold my breath until my grandaughter is on the mat after her dismount from beam....and this year I am extra nervous (if she isn't scratched in the first place) for her flight series on beam because she is so fearful of it....so keep your chin up...keep the spirits up and I wish her the very best at her meet this weekend. Tell her to be confident and she will do just fine. Leave all her negative thoughts at home in a box, up on a high shelf where she can't reach them.

We will be at the Flip Fest meet in Tennessee on Sunday evening for her competition...Where is your meet?

Sending good luck fairies from Quebec. That 36AA move up score is a pretty tall order, it would be nice if the coaches used more criteria than scores alone for such a big thing.

Sending good luck fairies from Quebec. That 36AA move up score is a pretty tall order, it would be nice if the coaches used more criteria than scores alone for such a big thing.

Yes...I agree. Especially when she may very well be stuck because of vault...which stays the same in 6. sigh. Thanks for the fairies from Quebec...I bet no one else at this meet will have those!

I know all to well what it is like to watch and be so nervous. I usually hold my breath until my grandaughter is on the mat after her dismount from beam....and this year I am extra nervous (if she isn't scratched in the first place) for her flight series on beam because she is so fearful of it....so keep your chin up...keep the spirits up and I wish her the very best at her meet this weekend. Tell her to be confident and she will do just fine. Leave all her negative thoughts at home in a box, up on a high shelf where she can't reach them.

We will be at the Flip Fest meet in Tennessee on Sunday evening for her competition...Where is your meet?

I think I will leave my negative thoughts up on that shelf, too! I really like that one...thanks!! I wish we were going to flipfest. We are going to a meet in Columbia, SC. The name of it is a little strange for those who are not from SC but here it goes...the Gamecock Invitational!

Good luck to your granddaughter in TN!

Good luck to your DD. I hope all goes well and her nerves dont get the best of her. Please keep us posted and I hope she gets that 36AA she reaching for.

Good luck to your DD this weekend. I hope she goes out there and rocks it!!!

We will be at Gamecock too :) (Saturday afternoon)

I moved to Columbia, SC with some buddies the year after we graduated from college and I remember thinking "Your college team is called what?" Of course we all had to go out and buy t-shirts with thinly veiled references on them.

My dd is level 5 too and has a meet on Saturday (Jinglebell Rock, Mt. Pleasant PA). She also struggles with the vault and I struggle with the fact that I don't see the coaches working on improving it. The entire level 5 team is scoring in the 7's on vault, but as long as they're getting over it, there seems to be very little instruction going on. It seems to me that if nobody is getting even an 8 on the event that they would be look at how they're teaching it. But whatever. I'm not the coach.

My #1 hope for this weekend is that she gets through the entire bar routine. She CAN do it, and has been getting pretty consistant at it in practice, but in the meets she's been choking... and she doesn't usually do that. Gets the kips but misses her squat-on... gets the squat-on but misses the kips.

Kathy's goal for this weekend is to qualify for sectionals. She had a qualifying score at the last meet (missed kips, mediocre vault, and all... thank goodness for nice bar and floor routines) but it was a YMCA league meet so it didn't count towards USAG sectionals.

If you don't mind, I will keep our bar fairies and vault fairies through Saturday but promise to send them flying down south just as soon as we're done with them, O.K? I'm sure they can be there by Sunday. Just don't let the fighting gamecocks eat 'em! :)

I moved to Columbia, SC with some buddies the year after we graduated from college and I remember thinking "Your college team is called what?" Of course we all had to go out and buy t-shirts with thinly veiled references on them.

My dd is level 5 too and has a meet on Saturday (Jinglebell Rock, Mt. Pleasant PA). She also struggles with the vault and I struggle with the fact that I don't see the coaches working on improving it. The entire level 5 team is scoring in the 7's on vault, but as long as they're getting over it, there seems to be very little instruction going on. It seems to me that if nobody is getting even an 8 on the event that they would be look at how they're teaching it. But whatever. I'm not the coach.

My #1 hope for this weekend is that she gets through the entire bar routine. She CAN do it, and has been getting pretty consistant at it in practice, but in the meets she's been choking... and she doesn't usually do that. Gets the kips but misses her squat-on... gets the squat-on but misses the kips.

Kathy's goal for this weekend is to qualify for sectionals. She had a qualifying score at the last meet (missed kips, mediocre vault, and all... thank goodness for nice bar and floor routines) but it was a YMCA league meet so it didn't count towards USAG sectionals.

If you don't mind, I will keep our bar fairies and vault fairies through Saturday but promise to send them flying down south just as soon as we're done with them, O.K? I'm sure they can be there by Sunday. Just don't let the fighting gamecocks eat 'em! :)

Ah yes, the thinly veiled references...I am not from SC so when I first got here I had many of the same thoughts as you...anyway, now I am used to it. I hope your daughter figures out the vault mystery. My DD also scored in the 7's on vault at her first meet. There were maybe 4 others in the 7's with her, and only 2-3 9's out of 22 girls in level 5. So our team struggles with it also and to be honest I don't see much improvement in my DD..but as you said, I'm not a coach so what do I know. I guess we just watch and hope! Let's hope that the vault fairies are out in full force!!!!

Madigym and MaryA, good luck to both your dds this weekend! I agree that 36 is a tall order, particularly while struggling on vault. It can be done, though. My dd repeated Level 5 and they really wanted her to get a 36AA. Meanwhile, she could not get out of the low 8s on vault. But she did get her 36, even with an 8.1 on vault. This year she is a Level 7 and so far (knock on wood) has gotten low 9s on all her vaults. She will never be a great fhs vaulter, but she has improved vastly since her first year at L5 (pretty much 7s all year). Vault just takes time.

Hope she does great!!! Our L8's will be there too on Saturday...she's L8 this year, right?

Thanks!!! She is actually doing L7 again. She is still battling that yuerchecnko vault and without it her Gym would not let her move to L8.

Thanks!!! She is actually doing L7 again. She is still battling that yuerchecnko vault and without it her Gym would not let her move to L8.

That's too bad, because I've seen a clean fhs vault outscore tusks and yurchenkos at level 8 regionals. Hope she gets it soon, it is a very hard skill.

Oh, that's right. I remember you posting about that before. Sorry to hear she is still fighting with it. Our L8's are struggling with that too, some more than others. I'm, not sure if they are all competing it or not. Good luck to her at Gamecock as a 7 then. She's going to rock!!!

Oh, that's right. I remember you posting about that before. Sorry to hear she is still fighting with it. Our L8's are struggling with that too, some more than others. I'm, not sure if they are all competing it or not. Good luck to her at Gamecock as a 7 then. She's going to rock!!!

Thanks! I hope she clams down enough to do well. She has a case of the 1st meet of the season nerves.

I just hope the venue is better then last year. The first thing my Dd asked is if she is going to be allowed to bring and water and snack in her gym bag this year. Last year it was all confiscated at the door. It's funny the things they remember.

I was going to stay and watch our 5's on Sunday but have decided to head home after the 8's compete Saturday night. I look forward to hearing how your DD did, I will be sending lots of good luck vibes her way.

Ugh DD just got a quarter size rip on her hand at practice tonight. They did bars for almost 2 hours straight!!!!!!! That certainly is not going to help things, but at least she has until Sunday for it to hopefully heal up??? Sigh. Anyone have advice for healing a big rip quick. She does not wear grips, is not allowed to until L6.

I think the venue is going to be better this year. A friend of mine was at the convention center last weekend for a cheerleading competition and she said it was nice. Apparently, for the meet this year, spectators cannot bring food but gymnasts can. It made me VERY angry to have to throw all of DD's food out of her gym bag last year!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back