Dead mat tumbling help?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hey, so I'm a college cheerleader and I'm shooting for my layout on dead mat (no springs). On a spring floor I can throw fulls easily, but I used to muscle alot of my tumbling and while it sorta works on a spring floor, a dead mat of course its near impossible. I've recently began really focusing on snapping my round off and handsprings down for more power and it has made a world of difference. I'm almost landing the layouts. I lean back a little too far in them, dont set all the way, pike a small amount and still land on my toes and fall forward, but compared to before this is alot better and I feel it's not too long before I'll have a full. (Twisting is something I have down very well and once I get a consistant near straight layout I'll be able to start twisting). I was hoping you guys would have some input. I know it's not the best angle for seeing my tumbling but maybe you guys will have some ideas. I know how to do a good layout, tips on it would be appreciated but since its just I need more power looking at the roundoff and backhandspring would be more helpful. I feel with just a little more power and a stronger set, I'll have the layout down easily. I'm not sure what the site's policy is on external links, but I'm gonna put the youtube link below. If it isn't allowed I really am sorry and a mod or admin can remove/ask me to remove it! thanks!
Also, on that youtube account I have a few other videos, please do not post advice on those as they're older and only up so I could post them on a different site like this. All skills have had alot of improvement and this current video reflects that.

YouTube - Current Layout

[video=youtube;JmTRUReI2yY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmTRUReI2yY[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:
You need more snap down in your round off to generate more speed and power in your back handspring. The back handspring is too slow and I also see your knees bending. I would say most of the problem lies in the back handspring.

Here is a good drill for you (make sure you have a good coach):

[video=youtube;p6Zw-xsZM3U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6Zw-xsZM3U[/video]

The drill I was actually looking for was RO-BHS-set up to an incline stack of mats to BWR down hill. The stack of mats should be about shoulder height, but start lower at first. If anyone has a video of this drill, please post it here.

block of your shoulders more in your round off and stretch out your back handspring . . . your layout is also pretty piked

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back