Deduction for Brace?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

All Chalked Up

Coach
Gymnast
In competition, can you get a deduction for wearing a brace? I was told that I will get a deduction for wearing my white knee brace in competitions.

I've never heard of getting a deduction for any type of brace or bandage. However it does attract attention to that area of your body and there may be more focus when you make a mistake. If you have a flesh tone brace it draws less attention.

Arghhhh, that's frustrating. I think I'll try to find a flesh-toned brace, or else I'll have to take the deduction. I'm assuming it would be a very small deduction though- maybe a .1? Though if they took it on each event, it would be a .4...

Dunno is correct there isn't a deduction if there is in your area then it is a made up one by the judges. Seriously how can they ask someone that may need a brace not to wear it.

Under the CPP there is no deduction as stated here. So check with your coach for the Ontario version.

In CPP, the bandages do not need to be beige color. Same for wrist bands or grips

I'll try to find a flesh coloured one or tape it, but it makes me feel better that I won't get deducted if I can't! Thanks for the replies. I'm in CPP so no deduction, but would attract more attention to bent knees.

OK I may be a little new to this but if you have an injury/pain that needs a brace then you shouldn't be competing?

Depends on the injury. My DD had an overuse issue with her ankle was told not to compete and she didn't but when the DR Ok'ed her to go back he wanted her to wear an ankle brace for the rest of the season ( about 6 weeks) especially when competing. So she was fine to compete but DR wanted that extra support. She just recovered from a hyperextended knee and wasn't doing any thing until about a month ago. Dr ok'ed her to go back but suggested when she tumbles to wear a knee brace for a month or so especially during practice.

Depends on the injury. My DD had an overuse issue with her ankle was told not to compete and she didn't but when the DR Ok'ed her to go back he wanted her to wear an ankle brace for the rest of the season ( about 6 weeks) especially when competing. So she was fine to compete but DR wanted that extra support. She just recovered from a hyperextended knee and wasn't doing any thing until about a month ago. Dr ok'ed her to go back but suggested when she tumbles to wear a knee brace for a month or so especially during practice.

Same with me but with my knee- overuse injury. I'm fine to do gymnastics, I just need that extra support.

no you can not get a deduction for wearing a brace. I think the reason people say this is because when you have a brace it naturally draws attention to that part of your body, and so every time you bend your knee if it is not suppose to it is extremely visible. But no you will not get a deduction just for wearing the brace, because you need it :)

you could use skin colored horse wrap to go over it. We get ours at a horse supply store for cheap and it costs about a dollar a roll. It's like tape except it sticks to itself and not the brace in case you are worried that it would be either too restricting based on the type of brace you have, or that it would leave all the icky tape residue behind. I use it over my heels every day and you can even reuse it if there isn't any holes in it. I have also heard it called coflex, andover, and medical wrap. I added a link of what it looks like below.

Medline Co-flex Med Elastic Bandage - 3 Inch

If you use tape, make sure it is secured properly! I remember one British Championships when Nicole Hibbert's tape came undone when she was on beam - she had it covering her wristbands which she actually had around her heels! luckily she was able to continue with it hanging off, then it came off altogether half way through the routine, but it could have been scary!

I was told it had to be flesh-tones, black or white. Otherwise, you get a deduction. Obviously, don't wear a neon orange knee brace. My Tiger Paws are flesh-toned, and I tape my ankles.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back