Deduction for level 5 beam mount

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

LizzieLac

Proud Parent
Hi - My DD has been suffering from Osgood Sclatters in her knees for over 4 months and it is pretty bad. She still goes to practice every day, but has had to modify her workout. Minimal tumbling, not much running, no deep bending.

So, she has not done her level 5 beam mount (legs in V, to feet on beam, to standing position) in over a month because it is too painfull to straighten her knees from that full squat position. She finally tried it last night, and I don't think she can actually do it.

What is the deduction if she does not do it, but gets to the standing position and the next element some other way? What is the deduction if she falls off and then gets back on and goes right to standing without doing it the right way.

Thanks!

If she doesn't do it she would lose the value of the skill plus likely form deductions on what she does do & maybe deduction for addding an element depending on how she gets upright.

if she falls off would be .5 for fall plus any form deductions on what dhe did do, maybe or maybe not credit for the skill.

I LOVE questions like this! It's super interesting from a judging point of view. Standing up from the V sit is not considered a major element, so you wouldn't lose anything in the value of the skill. (The major element is the leg swing with 1/2 turn onto the beam...plus it's only worth .2...so even if someone got excited and took that it's not that big of a deal.)

OK...now there would be some deductions, depending on how she actually stands up. She will likely lose something in rhythm as well as take a deduction in the "text error" category. But, I would imagine I would take a .1 of each with a total deduction of .2. BUT - if she added the swing through to a squat sit that the L4s do, there is a possibility of the .3 deduction for added element.

Falling would be .5 but there isn't any additional deduction for jumping up and getting into the ending position after the stand.

My bottom line on this: It all depends on HOW she actually gets up. I'm racking my brain to come up with the best possible way. Super interesting...to think of all the different possibilities:)

Hmmm..what if she pushes off the beam with her hands as she stands up, with this extra momentum would she be able to stand up? Then she would just get the pushing of the hand deduction (not sure what this is off the top of my head, 2 or 3 tenths? gympanda?)

Hmmm..what if she pushes off the beam with her hands as she stands up, with this extra momentum would she be able to stand up? Then she would just get the pushing of the hand deduction (not sure what this is off the top of my head, 2 or 3 tenths? gympanda?)

wondering if that might be a ''fall'' ?I have no clue. will have to wait for gympanda.

There is a flat .3 deduction for "pushing off hands to arrive in tuck stand". Worth it for a knee problem!

Hi - My DD has been suffering from Osgood Sclatters in her knees for over 4 months and it is pretty bad. She still goes to practice every day, but has had to modify her workout. Minimal tumbling, not much running, no deep bending.

So, she has not done her level 5 beam mount (legs in V, to feet on beam, to standing position) in over a month because it is too painfull to straighten her knees from that full squat position. She finally tried it last night, and I don't think she can actually do it.

What is the deduction if she does not do it, but gets to the standing position and the next element some other way? What is the deduction if she falls off and then gets back on and goes right to standing without doing it the right way.

Thanks!

no reason for her to be suffering. get her Chopats or McDavid knee straps.

To save the knees, swing the legs to front support from the V sit then drag/press/jump them in to pike and stand. Or if she can press, just press the feet to standing by hands. How would these be judged?

no reason for her to be suffering. get her Chopats or McDavid knee straps.

Dunno, we have tried the patellar strap. It gave mild relief, but soon became inconsequential. I confess what we used was not one of these two brands. Do you think these brands would be better?

It seems to me kids are pushing off their hands to get to the squatting position all the time. However, most can then go right into standing up so it looks like one fluid movement.

So, it sounds like worst case scenario is she falls and gets .5 deduction, or .2-.3 for execution errors.

Pineapple-Lump, what you are describing sounds like the level 4 mount. Is that what you were thinking?

Thanks!

yes. the Mcdavid knee strap is the best one imo. this one:

McDavid Multi Action Knee Strap - product summary - Bing Shopping

I must have been reading your mind - I already bought them from Amazon. I HOPE her knees feel better soon. It has been a rough few months. There are a few things in these routines that she just hasn't been able to work on much and I am trying to prepare her for what her scores might be like at this weekend's meet. Thanks!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back