Coaches Deductions for UB's Toe-On HS

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Good evening coaches/judges.

What are common deductions for the execution and performance of the UB's Toe-On HS? I am reading tonight the deductions of the clear hip HS (COP) and am thinking that relevant deductions apply to the toe-on HS. I just wanted to double check.

Context - We have finally got to UB sessions where I can spot repeats of the skill. The girls can not do repeats on their own. Not yet. Just getting to this point has been big effort - my shoulders tell me this. On occasion they get a balanced HS on their own. Most times they pass thru HS to a hiccup or a kip. I have a couple of athletes connecting (finally) this skill from Clear-hip HS and would like to work refining the skill/shape. The gymnasts go from clear-hip HS to split, late step down (of 2nd foot) and open to HS (working on timing as it is still not consistent).

The gymnasts are early in learning and want it to be clear in my mind the common deductions for execution/performance of this skill.

Thanks in advance for your collective sage wisdom and shred experiences.

Best, Eric -

Bent arms, arching out, Head alignment, missing the H stand are all pretty common deductions. Also delay the first foot as well, so they are keeping legs together while dropping with hips flat then step, step. Keep that shoulder healthy, start spotting on the other side :)

Thanks Coachp.

Good deduction reminders sir. Before I picked up your post I was reading some notes about grip shift I took at last Congress . My notes are not clear, is their a deduction for not shifting the grip throughout vs. just prior to HS? I do not recall the details of Mr. Forester's presentation on this issue. The notes must be about some other issue as it does not make sense in applying it to this skill.

Delay 1st foot...good idea to coach this week. I am thinking of using step step as a verbal que and working them to shorten the pause between. not a paaaause, but a pause.

Flat hips seem to be working as I have emphasized keeping their nose close to their knees after the drop and the alignment of their shoulders, nose and hips the same when they open their legs - like they had an imaginary extra set of legs in pike. The iPad ap Coaches Eye helps me with this visual. We can draw lines and laugh about the contortions we have had during these beginning stages.

Spotting other side - excellent reminder. :)

Last edited:
I am not sure what you mean, but the angle of the skill will be judged when the athlete is showing support (shifted wrists).

Best I can recall the discussion being continuous shifting of the hands vs a big single grip shift before opening. I will dismiss my notes this evening as they are not helpful.

SBG -

For those reading this thread the relevant deductions I believe apply are:

Execution -
Precision of HS up to .1
Amplitute of starting HS up to .3
Poor rhythm in elements/connections up to .1
Insufficient amplitude up to .2 (this applies to the toe-on)
Dynamics .1

Missing?

Like many of you coaches, I am determined to make this an everyday excellent skill for our athletes. Getting this skill correct will provide the gymnasts a go to skill for connection awards and to allow excellent performance of the connective skill. Each day I work, UB rotation with L6-9's, the Clear hip HS and the toe-on HS with the same time, effort and relevance. Having a similar importance of these skills is new to me the past 2 years.

Best, SBG -

Last edited:
Oops posted before I wished....Apologies offered to all readers.

Missing should read..
Dynamics .1
Insufficient body shape up to .2
Bent arms up to .3

SBG -

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back